Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2007, 04:31 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,372 times

Advertisements

Once, during a 3 day festival in the south of Brazil we were having a conversation, there were people from all over the world so we had to speak a mixture of portunhol with english, strangely enough everybody was understanding and the conversation was flowing, then it hit me I saw with my own eyes, or heard with my own ears if you prefer that we are in the slow process of building a global culture, let's take a closer look at those "languages"

Spanglish:

Spanglish is a language spoken both sides of the border specially in the southernmost states of America and the nothernmost states of Mexico, most locals know each other and this has a heavy influence both sides of the border, even people as far as south as Mexico city uses words like cool, yeah whatever, etc and people as North as New york uses words like amigo, adios, etc, will this trend continue?

Spanglish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Portunhol:

Brazil is the only portuguese speaking country in the American continent but it is a huge country surrounded by spanish speaking countries, both languages come from latin and they share 80% of the words, although some words mean different things depending on the language (they are called false friends because of this) the sentence construction is almost the same too so this makes it very easy for speakers of these languages to unerstand each other mixing them both and speaking portunhol.

Portuñol/Portunhol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Globish

Being english the most widely spoken language of the world most people choose it as their second language in order to communicate with other non native english speakers from all around the world, this has created the Globish phenomenon.

Globish is a portmanteau neologism of the words Global and English. It is a version of the English language that uses only the most common English words and phrases. It is used by non-English-speakers of various native languages.

Globish is based descriptions for example niece in globish would be the daughter of my brother/sister, some people also learn the most basic words of the language of their partners to have a better conversation.

Globish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sample globish conversation.

spanish speaker: Shalom (Hello) man how are you?

hebrew speaker: Hola amigo (Hello friend) I'm great and you?

spanish speaker: doing well, thank you what's up man?

hebrew speaker: I wanted to know if you could provide me some information about fiestas (parties) in Mexico.

spanish speaker: For sure ah seli! (my brother) let me see what can I find

hebrew speaker: Gracias Hermano! (thanks bro)

spanish speaker: bevaskasa ae (you are welcome)

spanish speaker: here you go!

hebrew speaker: wooow thank you man you made my day i'm gonna have lots of fun at your country.

spanish speaker: it's my pleasure to help you out man

hebrew speaker: I'm so happy right now man, have a great day hombre!! (man)

spanish speaker: toda raba (thank you very much)

hebrew speaker: de nada mi hermano (you are welcome bro) vaya con Dios, hasta luego. (go with God, see you later)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 10:30 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
How about "Blanconics", the English patois spoken by impovershed Whites in remote areas of the southern US....EXAMPLE

BLANCONICS: "Yonder cumma Po leece. Feces watchie dune, mango be pist. Them chickenzaint urine. Hill morn likely tho yassin jail. Bear puttem back"

ENGLISH: "An officer of the law is approaching. If he sees what you're doing, the man may become angry; that poultry, after all, does not belong to you. He will probably incarcerate you. I'd advise you to return those chickens now"...

Do you think "Blanconics" will ever be used outside the American South? Will there ever e a "Blanconics Dictionary"?

Old 10-30-2007, 12:51 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Once, during a 3 day festival in the south of Brazil we were having a conversation, there were people from all over the world so we had to speak a mixture of portunhol with english, strangely enough everybody was understanding and the conversation was flowing, then it hit me I saw with my own eyes, or heard with my own ears if you prefer that we are in the slow process of building a global culture, let's take a closer look at those "languages"

Spanglish:

Spanglish is a language spoken both sides of the border specially in the southernmost states of America and the nothernmost states of Mexico, most locals know each other and this has a heavy influence both sides of the border, even people as far as south as Mexico city uses words like cool, yeah whatever, etc and people as North as New york uses words like amigo, adios, etc, will this trend continue?

Spanglish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Portunhol:

Brazil is the only portuguese speaking country in the American continent but it is a huge country surrounded by spanish speaking countries, both languages come from latin and they share 80% of the words, although some words mean different things depending on the language (they are called false friends because of this) the sentence construction is almost the same too so this makes it very easy for speakers of these languages to unerstand each other mixing them both and speaking portunhol.

Portuñol/Portunhol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Globish

Being english the most widely spoken language of the world most people choose it as their second language in order to communicate with other non native english speakers from all around the world, this has created the Globish phenomenon.

Globish is a portmanteau neologism of the words Global and English. It is a version of the English language that uses only the most common English words and phrases. It is used by non-English-speakers of various native languages.

Globish is based descriptions for example niece in globish would be the daughter of my brother/sister, some people also learn the most basic words of the language of their partners to have a better conversation.

Globish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sample globish conversation.

spanish speaker: Shalom (Hello) man how are you?

hebrew speaker: Hola amigo (Hello friend) I'm great and you?

spanish speaker: doing well, thank you what's up man?

hebrew speaker: I wanted to know if you could provide me some information about fiestas (parties) in Mexico.

spanish speaker: For sure ah seli! (my brother) let me see what can I find

hebrew speaker: Gracias Hermano! (thanks bro)

spanish speaker: bevaskasa ae (you are welcome)

spanish speaker: here you go!

hebrew speaker: wooow thank you man you made my day i'm gonna have lots of fun at your country.

spanish speaker: it's my pleasure to help you out man

hebrew speaker: I'm so happy right now man, have a great day hombre!! (man)

spanish speaker: toda raba (thank you very much)

hebrew speaker: de nada mi hermano (you are welcome bro) vaya con Dios, hasta luego. (go with God, see you later)
I think that (sadly) the official language of the USA will be Spanish in less than 30 years, specially if they manage to pass the Bush-McCain-Kennedy amnesty, where at least 120 million aliens will be added to the newly legalized 20 million illegals in the USA today.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:04 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
I think that (sadly) the official language of the USA will be Spanish in less than 30 years, specially if they manage to pass the Bush-McCain-Kennedy amnesty, where at least 120 million aliens will be added to the newly legalized 20 million illegals in the USA today.
There is no official language today, why would Spanish be official in the future?

Are you talking about De Facto Standard?

Old 10-30-2007, 05:01 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,187 times
Spanish is popular but highly doubt it will be a dead language in the U.S. Remember that Second or third generations are losing their Spanish.

Spanglish of course! Not enough Portuguese speakers in the U.S to become popular. Spanglish can be heard by hanging around with teen age Americans of Mexican decent. I myself, a speaker. I never use it to talk with anyone who doesn't speak Spanish fluently. I use it mainly with Spanish speaking family and friends.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:32 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
How about "Blanconics", the English patois spoken by impovershed Whites in remote areas of the southern US....EXAMPLE

BLANCONICS: "Yonder cumma Po leece. Feces watchie dune, mango be pist. Them chickenzaint urine. Hill morn likely tho yassin jail. Bear puttem back"

ENGLISH: "An officer of the law is approaching. If he sees what you're doing, the man may become angry; that poultry, after all, does not belong to you. He will probably incarcerate you. I'd advise you to return those chickens now"...

Do you think "Blanconics" will ever be used outside the American South? Will there ever e a "Blanconics Dictionary"?
Ouch...that hurt my head to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration