U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 07:36 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,312,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Panis View Post
Let's hope Ireland doesn't have another potato famine. All the impoverished Irish we took back in the days we used to be a generous and welcoming people are over. Poor people today are turned around because "we are over populated." Despite having a very comfortable population density of 89 per square mile, or 179th out of 243 countries. Clearly we are having to throw people in the seas over how overpopulated we are.
Uh; IF another potato famine happens, that's NOT our problem. Too; the Irish in 2103 DON'T have big families like back in 1849 and Ireland also has lots of friends like the UK, Germany and so on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,312,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I can't speak for the US as a whole but my region (north Texas) is already experiencing problems due to massive population growth. One municipality here is embroiled in a lawsuit with the state of Oklahoma over water rights. As droughts bite and our population increases, Oncor has threatened us with rolling blackouts as the demand is threatening to exceed the system's capacity.

People don't get it. It's not just land. It's having enough land to support the industrialized agriculture to feed all these people plus provide electricity, drinking water, water treatment, not to mention other infrastructure like roads, schools, etc. You get to a point where enough is enough. We're getting there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Panis View Post
I agree that some specific localities within the US are overcrowded, and not necessarily due to physical resource restraints but mismanagement of those resources. But I don't think there's ever been an insinuation that the United States as a whole is at some kind of population threshold where going over is going to put us in some sort of economic decline. I won't dismiss this assertion out of hand, I'd certainly like to see more evidence for it though. Anecdotal evidence doesn't count for much when we are talking about a macro-issue about such a large geographic area.
BigDGeek is right. We def need to cut down ALL immigration till the US needs more "new blood". No need for it in 2013.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:54 PM

31,785 posts, read 14,639,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
BigDGeek is right. We def need to cut down ALL immigration till the US needs more "new blood". No need for it in 2013.
I have a couple of good links saved depicting the true carrying capacity of this country. But even without that there is no denying that we have a shortage of jobs in this country and in particular blue-collared jobs and those are the kinds of jobs these illegals are holding and that we need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or