U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 07:54 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,277,354 times

Advertisements

There's a lot of talk about Hispanic illegals, thought I'd change it up a bit to discuss a portion of the other 19%.

Quote:
Irish living here illegally for years hope immigration reform*moves forward. Many of them call Woodlawn, the Bronx home * - NY Daily News

Originally from County Antrim in Northern Ireland, Therese (who did not want to disclose her last name) has been living in the U.S. illegally for more than 13 years. She is one of approximately 50,000 undocumented Irish living in the five boroughs.
"Most of the people I know came on student visas, or on vacation, and they stayed. It's a hard decision to make. It's a risk," Therese said.
“You chose to live and work here illegally and you know that you are giving up a lot of your rights.”
Moderator cut: quote shortened, copyright protection. Please read the tos
Also, from LA TIMES:

Quote:
Illegal? Better if you're Irish - latimes.com
....Seeking to put a white Irish face on the issue of illegal immigration, O'Dowd and the Irish Lobby sent a delegation of 3,000 undocumented workers to Washington last month, not to protest but to lobby U.S. lawmakers. "We Irish are good at playing politics from the inside," he said. "When politicians see that even the Irish can be undocumented, then they realize that there's something wrong with the immigration system."

Moderator cut: quote shortened, copyright protection. Please read the tos

Last edited by Yac; 04-22-2013 at 03:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 09:43 PM

6,936 posts, read 6,992,370 times
The illegal Irish enjoyed, for many years, government officials looking the other way which allowed them to stay. They're white. Tend top be educated. And Ted Kennedy and other prominent Irish-Americans were on their side. For these reasons they, for the most part, blended-in and evaded the law.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:53 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Round 'em up and throw 'em out.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:33 AM

31,498 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
There's a lot of talk about Hispanic illegals, thought I'd change it up a bit to discuss a portion of the other 19%.

Also, from LA TIMES:
Where is the proof that white Americans prefer white illegals? It is just race baiting by the liberal L.A. Times. 50,000 Irish illegals compared to millions of Latino illegals. Gee I wonder why the focus is on the latter rather than the former? According to some it just must be those brown faces.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:35 AM

6,159 posts, read 10,895,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post

Also, from LA TIMES:
It doesn't change anything. I'm Irish. If they're here illegally, send them out. Why is this difficult to understand?

Old 04-21-2013, 06:35 AM

31,498 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The illegal Irish enjoyed, for many years, government officials looking the other way which allowed them to stay. They're white. Tend top be educated. And Ted Kennedy and other prominent Irish-Americans were on their side. For these reasons they, for the most part, blended-in and evaded the law.
You must be kidding. Our government hasn't looked the other way on illegal immigration from south of our border? Then why do we have millions here from Mexico, etc.? If you want to make a credible argument I suggest you stop playing the race card.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:52 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Round 'em up and throw 'em out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Where is the proof that white Americans prefer white illegals? It is just race baiting by the liberal L.A. Times. 50,000 Irish illegals compared to millions of Latino illegals. Gee I wonder why the focus is on the latter rather than the former? According to some it just must be those brown faces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
It doesn't change anything. I'm Irish. If they're here illegally, send them out. Why is this difficult to understand?
Agreed. I'm of Irish family too and I'd want Irish illegal aliens deported.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:28 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
They should definitely not be rewarded with anything just because they chose to break our country's laws. How many are committing felony document fraud and identity theft? Probably most.

And they can't claim there's no schools or health care back in their own country and so they must break the laws and come here.

Even if they aren't rounded up and deported, leave them illegal so they can be more easily returned home when they make their presence known. They chose to be here illegally -- so what's the point in giving them anything?

Old 04-21-2013, 12:18 PM

10,907 posts, read 7,716,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
If the people coming from south of the border came in the insignificant numbers the Irish do, the issue would be much further back in the minds of most American. I dare say this illegal immigration forum wouldn't even exist.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:58 PM

166 posts, read 212,198 times
I don't care which nationality, race, religion, etc. anyone is, If they are in this country illegally, they need to be sent packing.
All those who feel otherwise and lock their homes are hypocrites. If your home is worthy of protection, our country is moreso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or