U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:51 AM

6,936 posts, read 6,990,802 times

Advertisements

An interesting, somewhat related, article authoried by a 'historian' discussing the origin of the terms "illegal" and "illegal alien" appears below.

Quote:
To put this bluntly -- but also as historically precise as possible -- the concept of illegal alien did not come about to describe people from Mexico, or Latin America, or even Asia. It was created to describe folks from Southern and Eastern Europe. If you are Greek or Russian or Polish (Catholic or Jewish), Italian or Slovak, your ancestors were the ones we created the term "illegal alien" for, to keep out the rest of your kind. And the folks who came up this idea probably wanted to send your family back as well, even if they had come over before the law was passed. You're the first generation of "illegal aliens".
Read the article in its entirety: Robert Slayton: Illegal Aliens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 11:00 AM

3,186 posts, read 5,452,602 times
Being "undocumented" IS ILLEGAL..how simple can understanding this be?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:03 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,008,086 times
if you pay taxes....

A: Illegal Aliens, criminals, parasites, load to society, outplacing American workers

if you don't pay taxes....

B: undocumented workers, friends and neighbors (literally), labor force necessary to sustain American business, desperately needed Democrat voting block

Well, seeing how those who pay taxes usually influence, if not write, the laws I'll go with option A....now, if you want to talk about how to regulate and control the labor force, different option.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:10 PM

18,536 posts, read 13,678,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
An interesting, somewhat related, article authoried by a 'historian' discussing the origin of the terms "illegal" and "illegal alien" appears below.

The point is moot as Illegal Aliens come from all over the globe, and amensty just encourages people to come in even larger numbers.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:58 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

How would they be illegal if there was no law passed?

Old 04-26-2013, 02:43 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Most illegals are not "undocumented". They have stolen identity documents, many have several sets of birth certificates, stolen social security numbers.

They are foreigners here illegally and breaking any law that inconveniences them, especially laws on felony document fraud.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:58 PM

6,516 posts, read 8,601,264 times
When you cross a border of a foreign nation without permission or authorization, you are 'illegal' in that Country. When people from Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica enter Mexico without permission or authorization, they are considered undocumented and illegal. When caught, they go to jail and are then deported to their home country.
If they can get through Mexico without being caught and they cross the U.S. border, along with Mexicans as undocumented, they are all considered 'illegal'.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:05 PM

2,176 posts, read 862,447 times
they are illegal and always will be unless they go back to where they came from

Old 05-13-2013, 11:14 AM

405 posts, read 358,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
"Undocumented" means you left your homework on the bus when you got off at school. Or you claim you did.

"Illegal alien" means you're from another country, and in this country illegally.

Which description better fits the people we're talking about here?

Yes, I agree.

So why do so many people keep trying to use the other description instead?
I use the term illegal and I'm probably the most PC guy you're going to find. Ask the person who once used the term "colored" in my presence I think my lecture was 20 minutes long.

People with certain agendas engage in the "semantic exercise" of calling them undocumented, unpapered, or blah blah to indoctrinate us to accept people who have absolutely no right to be here. The source of this is the pro-illegal media, like the Chicago Tribune, LA Times, etc. Do not fall for it. That is all.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:06 PM

155 posts, read 180,506 times
I guarantee the vast majority of Dominicans in DR for example, do not see illegal immigrant Haitians as undocumented workers.

I guarantee the vast majority of Mexicans in Mexico do not see illegal immigrant Guatemalans as undocumented workers.

I guarantee the vast majority of Chinese people in China do not see illegal immigrant North Koreans as undocumented workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or