Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:25 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantHuman View Post
That´s not what I was posting about.

they call their Illegals Boat people and wanderers, some are set free and given legal status, but that is besides the point.

We need more workers/ more economic output to meet the demand baby boomer retirement. The current legal system does not work.
No we don't.

We need government to balance its books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 10:28 AM

50 posts, read 38,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
No we don't.

We need government to balance its books.
And how do you suppose they balance the books?
and how will that account for the increased income needed to pay for retirement?

Old 04-24-2013, 11:01 AM

424 posts, read 467,906 times
Quote:
That´s not what I was posting about.

they call their Illegals Boat people and wanderers, some are set free and given legal status, but that is besides the point.

We need more workers/ more economic output to meet the demand baby boomer retirement. The current legal system does not work.
Maybe but unless you want to fund the boomer retirement through people barely qualified to scrape chewing gum off the sidewalks, the current crop of illegals probably isn't your answer. Look at their school performance. It redefines the term suckage...

FARRAGUT CAREER ACADEMY HS: School Profile

J STERLING MORTON EAST HIGH SCH: School Profile

Why not just allow in people who are qualified to fill the needs we have? I don't think too many would object to that.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 738 times
Raise taxes.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:19 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Many of them were employed via an unsustainable economic bubble stemming from housing. Sure, A lot of the jobs could get back but what you reference are largely industries heavily tied to economic gains. With little to no need for new housing, means not much need for construction. The jobs won't magically reappear without a reason to say the least

The reason why I bring up Australia is because many people have said they have a bubble too, except thanks to all of the immigration, demand has always remained strong and so has their economy and unemployment rates.
Still if the millions of illegal immigrants that are employed would be deported that would mean that Americans or possibly legal immigrants would fill their jobs. There is no denying that.

I fail to see how importing more foreigners to our country during these times or allowing illegal immigrants to remain here would bolster our economy. Thanks to immigration to Australia demand has always remained strong? Demand for what? Are there millions of unemployed Aussies?

Old 04-24-2013, 04:20 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
The types who come here illegally are unskilled, uneducated and very low-wage. They can't afford the children they have here, maybe instead of having Americans pour many billions of dollars into schools, maternity care for the sky high birth rates of third world immigrants, we funnel that money to social security for Americans.

When you look at the extra high numbers of kids, with school costing at least $12,000 a year per child for 13-14 years, there is a whole lot of money that could be used instead to support Americans.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:07 PM

166 posts, read 246,775 times
Quote:
Many of them were employed via an unsustainable economic bubble stemming from housing. Sure, A lot of the jobs could get back but what you reference are largely industries heavily tied to economic gains. With little to no need for new housing, means not much need for construction. The jobs won't magically reappear without a reason to say the least

The reason why I bring up Australia is because many people have said they have a bubble too, except thanks to all of the immigration, demand has always remained strong and so has their economy and unemployment rates.
Australia sounds wonderfully advanced! Have you looked into immigrating there?

Old 04-24-2013, 08:35 PM

50 posts, read 38,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ten View Post
Australia sounds wonderfully advanced! Have you looked into immigrating there?
I have a worker visa there, way ahead of you. They appreciate a skilled workforce so much, that I haven´t been stressed about their immigration process even slightest bit. I can´t say the same for the US procedure.

However, trying to get business credentials is much more difficult.. they have a bit more effort in making sure employment is legal and tax law is abided, something we have a problem with.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:41 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
As a sign of good faith all of the illegal workers here need to come forward and identify themselves and then pay up ALL of their back taxes on every dollar they have got their hands on. It would show they really do want to become citizens LIKE ME AND YOU and meet their financial obligations to this country....In the USA we must pay our taxes......all of them ,each year ,every year...If you are an illegal worker and got money in your pocket,,, part of that money belongs to me as a bonified USA citizen receiving SS...I need my money

Old 04-25-2013, 07:54 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I liken this proposal to constantly patching a leak instead of fixing it properly the first time. Say like you have a roof with a ton of leaks. You could throw a bunch of shingles on top of it and that might stop the leak temporarily, but it will leak again. So what do you do? More shingles. And more. And more. Eventually the weight of all of these patches will cause your roof to completely fail and water will come pouring in.

What you should have done was tear the roof off and fix it right the first time. It would have been more painful at first but would have saved you time and money in the long run.

With millions of Americans unemployed/underemployed, it is a slap in the face to the rest of us to bring in a bunch of immigrants to do jobs that these unemployed Americans could do today, or could do within 12-24 months with some on-the-job training. Most jobs do not require a four-year degree...even cushy high-salary I.T. jobs like mine.

The government needs to pull its finger out of its rear end and take care of AMERICANS before bringing in a bunch of minimally-to-moderately skilled foreigners to do jobs that Americans CAN do, and that they WANT to do. I work with a bunch of these 'highly skilled' H1-B visa holders from India and China and believe me...they aren't that skilled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration