Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:51 AM

327 posts, read 754,978 times

Advertisements

Americans would be more than willing to do most of the jobs illegals do.

Problem is, they'd demand a livable wage, which is something all these business who use/exploit illegals just won't stand for. The mere thought of having to pay somebody a decent wage for a hard days work probably scares the hell out of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 12:08 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
I don't "like" having illegal immigrants here in the U.S. - primarily because of the strain it puts on hospitals and schools, I certainly consider it a problem.

But I disagree with these comments about "providing a living wage." It isn't any employer's responsibility to provide an American or a Mexican with a livable wage. If an American worker wants to be paid a "livable wage" he/she needs to be valuable enough in the labor market to command a livable wage. If unskilled, uneducated 3rd world immigrants are able to do your job, then what does that say about the value of your job to the employer?

Old 10-31-2007, 12:30 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I don't "like" having illegal immigrants here in the U.S. - primarily because of the strain it puts on hospitals and schools, I certainly consider it a problem.

But I disagree with these comments about "providing a living wage." It isn't any employer's responsibility to provide an American or a Mexican with a livable wage. If an American worker wants to be paid a "livable wage" he/she needs to be valuable enough in the labor market to command a livable wage. If unskilled, uneducated 3rd world immigrants are able to do your job, then what does that say about the value of your job to the employer?
It says that the employer can get cheap labor by hiring illegals, when if he hired American citizens, he'd have to abide by the law and pay at least minimum wage, and most likely, in a market like that, more.

It may not be the responsibility of the employer to provide a living wage, but it used to be in this country that employees were important to companies, and received good wages. It used to be important to hire LEGAL people, too, and not break the law.

Hint to corporations: geez, have you ever thought of lowering your profits in order to pay people well who work their asses off for you? The idiots just don't want to spend anything on personnel (which they damned well could do), they want to take ALL the money for themselves, and that's what they're doing. It's not like they don't have money to pay better wages, for goodness sakes!

This is one of the consequences of globalization - companies are no longer loyal to their own communities - they don't care two s---ts who the employees are, where they live, etc.

If you're somewhat younger, you may not have seen the big change in this situation. People used to be able to support a family on a blue collar wage; now that companies can get cheap labor or move the jobs overseas, they don't care WHO makes out, as long as THEY make out real good. It's a change in philosophy, and a change in peoples' attitudes being more and more selfish, and having that be acceptable in our society.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:35 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times
I agree somewhat to all the responses following my last one. I hate to play the blame game but , think about it, YES Americans would work the same jobs, but where the illegals will work for minumum wage (5.85 in TX), Americans DEMAND a higher wage. AMERICAN GREED is the main cause. Like I said I dont want to center any certain group out, but alot of it started with High Paying Union jobs. And it just tricked down from there.
I think we should CLOSE our Border for about 10-20 years, for EVERYONE. That way our government can resolve this mess we have.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:38 PM

884 posts, read 1,033,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post

You’re right, it's not an employer’s responsibility to provide a livable wage and employers demonstrate that on a daily basis. It is however, an employer’s responsibility to hire citizens and taxpayers of the U.S. for those jobs. Then, they would have no choice but to provide a livable freaking wage.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
I agree somewhat to all the responses following my last one. I hate to play the blame game but , think about it, YES Americans would work the same jobs, but where the illegals will work for minumum wage (5.85 in TX), Americans DEMAND a higher wage. AMERICAN GREED is the main cause. Like I said I dont want to center any certain group out, but alot of it started with High Paying Union jobs. And it just tricked down from there.
I think we should CLOSE our Border for about 10-20 years, for EVERYONE. That way our government can resolve this mess we have.
Lol, greed? I would specify that because the way I took that was we are greedy because we demand a higher wage. We demand a "livable" wage. Our minimum wage, standardized by the federal government, is not a "livable" wage. MOD CUT My first job, remember I'm only 24, was for $4.75/hr. I was too young to know better but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a legal wage according to child labor laws. All I know is that there must be a special place in hell for certain employers.

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-31-2007 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: language

Old 10-31-2007, 12:45 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,130 times
There's not much greed going around since the minimum wage will only buy you a cup of coffee and a donut.

Americans' salaries have stagnated since the 1970's, where everything else has gone up. I don't think that's greed. Most people live paycheck to paycheck because the wages don't keep up with the housing, food, utility costs.

We're asking for first of all, loyalty to Americans (which is dead and gone); and salaries that keep up with the cost of necessities.

Patriotism is dead? No longer an obligation to your country, your community, your neighbors? Look at the guys/gals fighting in Iraq for US, and we will sell America out to the highest bidder, currently, China. Is that how we want to live?

Old 10-31-2007, 12:50 PM

Even with the hike in minimum wage.....$7.25, after is over. Who can live on that?

Old 10-31-2007, 12:53 PM

ok ok i guess i will go ahead and center someone out.....CORPERATE GREED.
Prime example......EXXON/MOBILE posting a profit of what 90 billion or something like that? And were paying 3 bucks a gallon for that?

Old 10-31-2007, 12:56 PM

First 2 steps to solving this problem would be addressing the immigration policies here in the US and second would be China raising the value of their currency. It should start to even up as the standard of living in China (and India for that matter) rise and it will then cost our greedy, corrupt American corporations more money to do business outside the US therefore creating many more jobs at home (manufacturing in particular). Actually, scratch that... they will find another under developed country to do business in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration