U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:09 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,096,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Waste time? Maybe cake-baking isn't up your alley, but apparently, neither is science.

Language Learning Makes the Brain Grow, Swedish Study Suggests

Language learning makes the brain grow, Swedish study suggests
So learning other things doesn't?

Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,096,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
What is your ethnicity? Did your grandparents or great-grandparents learn English before they came here?
Yes. I am American as well as my family.

Does it matter?

Our nations's heritage & culture is English why do you detest it?

Old 04-29-2013, 07:47 AM

31,471 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
The New Colossus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sonnet on the Statue of Liberty

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Emma Lazarus
Here lays the problem. Our country has changed and our population has grown. We can no longer import all of the impoverished masses simply to adhere to a poem long ago outdated. And no where in that poem does it say come through the back door illegally but the golden door. We allow in 1 million legal immigrants a year based on our needs and that doesn't even include the family ruinification catagories. That isn't enough for you?

Old 04-29-2013, 07:47 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,473,086 times
Quote:
Nobody is telling you that you have to learn another language. Nobody is forcing you into immersion classes or to buy Rosetta Stone. Whether you want to learn it or not is entirely up to you.
Not true. Ever go to a fast food place in parts of Los Angeles or many parts of most large cities (and now many small ones)? Where I live pretty much every retailer has a large predominately Spanish speaking workforce which is not bad in and of itself except when their accent is so thick it's hard to understand or they don't have a decent command of the language. I've also noticed stores where signs are in Spanish then English *smaller print* and the products have the Spanish names faced instead of the English side. Here there are whole neighborhoods where there is NO English whatsoever. Everything is in Spanish so tell me, is nobody really telling me I must learn Spanish?

Ever try to call a store here? Many times a person answers the phone and it's very apparent that they don't have a good command of the English language.

I remember one McDonalds I went to, stepped up to the counter and literally had to POINT to the picture on the mat that's on the counter because the worker didn't understand English enough to take my order. Thankfully for the people behind me who were all hispanic she did understand Spanish very well.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:06 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
Requiring immigrants to learn English would reduce the number of immigrants available to work for low wages and harm the agricultural industry profits. Loss of Ag profits is intolerable. Eliminating H1b immigration would do the same to industries the hire professionals. That is also intolerable. Costs for labor must be held down so profits and managerial salaries can be maximized. That is the Real American Way.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
You didn't say "allow" anywhere in the comment:

You're the one getting snippy about responses to your comments, it isn't a "personal attack" to point out how you are posting a response, especially in a topic about English usage. The "I'll report you" and "warning you also" are tiring. If you have a beef about a comment, report it, and let the mods handle it how they see fit.

Legal immigrants have a reasonable level of sponsorship that is specified. "From what you understand" and "we expect" are loaded terms however, I've seen where you get your sources. You know it really undercuts your announced stance on "illegal immigration" when you "expect" so many untrue things about legal immigrants, and seem to always beeline to it being about a specific ethnicity: Whether third world immigrants come here legally or illegally ultimately makes little difference
From your post #114 these are your words.
Originally Posted by Oldglory
[W]e expect people of that age not to able to migrate here...

Speaking of English usage... (your words)

If that wasn't an attempt to be snippy or to belittle me then I don't know what is. I like to warn posters who aren't following the rules of the forum before reporting them so they can correct their uncivil behavior first and I won't have to do it then. It a courtesy.

I usually use the word "allow" when referring to legal immigration. However, these are my words under this topic... "No, we expect people of that age not to able to migrate here because they would be a burden to our soceity with their advancing age"

The "expect and be able to migrate here" was indicative that I was talking about legal immigration. Sorry you didn't get it or chose not to in order to clarify it for someone else which wasn't necessary by my statement above.

As for your spin about what I have said about legal immigrants you challenge any negative stats about legal or illegal immigrants and in particular those of the Hispanic/Mexican persuasion even when links are provided to you to prove them. I don't beeline to them as it is usually a response to someone who mentioned that particular group but let's face it they are here by far in the largest numbers both legally and illegally.

You deny any viable sources even when they are from the Census Bureau, the CDC, etc. As I have often said and I guess I have to keep repeating it to you. I have no problem with legal immigration in diversified numbers and immigrants that will be a benefit to our nation and not a burden. That is why there are negative stats out there about "some" immigrants because they all haven't been proven to be a benefit to us but a burden. Why do facts bother you so much? No one is saying that all "immigrants" are a negative.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 AM

14,298 posts, read 7,724,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
This bill is anti-American.
No kidding "We'd like you to join our community, and become a part of our society and culture, but you don't have to bother to learn English. Forming a conclave of non-assimilated, foreign-born, balkanized, non-English speaking communities is just fine and dandy with the US government."

Old 04-29-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Nobody is telling you that you have to learn another language. Nobody is forcing you into immersion classes or to buy Rosetta Stone. Whether you want to learn it or not is entirely up to you.
I beg to differ. In this topic alone we are being told if we don't learn a foreign language (usually means Spanish) we are called ignorant. Many employers are requiring Spanish to be hired. If that isn't being forced then I don't know what is.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Requiring immigrants to learn English would reduce the number of immigrants available to work for low wages and harm the agricultural industry profits. Loss of Ag profits is intolerable. Eliminating H1b immigration would do the same to industries the hire professionals. That is also intolerable. Costs for labor must be held down so profits and managerial salaries can be maximized. That is the Real American Way.
Who said anything about requiring temporary farm workers to learn English? There are unlimited H-2A visas for legal foreign farm workers so there is no reason to hire non-English speaking illegals for those jobs because the legals ones probably don't speak English either.

No, that isn't the "real" American way. Money and profits made on the backs of discriminating against native English speaking Americas is what is unacceptable.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 AM

9,138 posts, read 6,481,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I think we may have a bit of a misunderstanding here. Learning another language because you want to in order to broaden your horizons or to travel is one thing what (at least for me) sets my teeth on edge is being told I have to learn another language (Spanish) to live in my own country which since the country was founded the language was english.

I wouldn't presume to move to oh, say France and demand they speak english or Mexico or Spain or China, (you get the idea I hope) not to mention you're probably able to guess the reaction from the locals that I'd get.

I wonder how many of these other countries print everything in 30 different languages or how many of the stores advertise or label their products in more than the "home" language to accommodate people moving there? I'd venture that it's very few if any at all (other than us).

In fact, if memory serves France had a big to-do not to long ago about requiring French be the only language used for most things. If I remember correctly it was because many felt they were losing their identity as a nation because other languages were creeping in (primarily English).
That's exactly what's starting to happen in the U.S. in my opinion.
Correct. Your misunderstanding comes from the fact, that no one has asked you to learn any other language than the one you are currently using.

Why must you raise your blood pressure over issues that are non-existent.

If ever someone does come tell you, that you must learn a second language, I will come to your defense and tell them to leave you be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or