U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 10:33 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,115,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
English requirement is unnecessary. It goes away by itself as successive generations are born. If you lived in an area where every other person is hispanic you would appreciate that your concerns are overblown. The second gens all speak English fluently if with a bit of an accent. They do struggle in school at first because English is not their language at home, but they quickly adjust and end up bilingual. By the third gen, even the accent is gone and many can no longer speak much Spanish at all. There is nothing special here. This is the same pattern as every immigrant group has displayed. Relax, it's gonna be alright.
There are hispanics that have been here 30-40 years that don't know English, let alone their kids don't want to speak and opt in speaking Spanish in front English speakers. Many are concentrated in large cities where many don't graduate high school.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:35 PM

6,541 posts, read 8,652,519 times
You may as well learn to speak Spanish because once the amnesty bill passes, the provisions for 'family unification' kicks in. Each new provisional citizen will be able to bring family members. That's a potential additional 45 million more people that can't, won't, refuse to learn English.
I wonder if the gang of eight can tell us where these people will find jobs, pay for their own health care, find housing.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:52 PM

31,903 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Quote:
English requirement is unnecessary. It goes away by itself as successive generations are born. If you lived in an area where every other person is hispanic you would appreciate that your concerns are overblown. The second gens all speak English fluently if with a bit of an accent. They do struggle in school at first because English is not their language at home, but they quickly adjust and end up bilingual. By the third gen, even the accent is gone and many can no longer speak much Spanish at all. There is nothing special here. This is the same pattern as every immigrant group has displayed. Far from being un-American it is, in fact, quintessentially American. Relax, it's gonna be alright.
Yeah, sure. That's why I hear Spanish being spoken out in public by Hispanics almost exclusively. I have seen entire families from pre-schoolers to grandma doing it. They may learn English out of necessity but they refuse to speak it unless they have to and that's a fact, Jack.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:56 PM

31,903 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
THIS!!!

Just like we did when took this land from the....ooops, nevermind
Who's "we"? Like living in the past, do you? FYI, those people are all dead now. "We" aren't them and they aren't us. Try bringing yourself up to the present. When the USA was formed as a country it was decided that English would be our national language. I guess those Mesitzo Mexicans are being forced to speak Spanish now?

Old 04-26-2013, 06:58 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
This bill is anti-American.
Of course they broke that promise. They know illegals are not about to learn any significant level of English. Many illegals have been here for years and haven't made any effort to learn much of anything yet.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:00 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,198,362 times
I would hate to see some of you walk into a Chinatown, Vietnamese town, or Koreantown and listen to the older people who live there. I can firmly say that a lot of the younger generations speak in English to each other and others, but may speak their parent's native tongue in their home.

I really don't see what the big deal is.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:03 PM

3,063 posts, read 2,567,475 times
Quote:
English requirement is unnecessary. It goes away by itself as successive generations are born. If you lived in an area where every other person is hispanic you would appreciate that your concerns are overblown. The second gens all speak English fluently if with a bit of an accent. They do struggle in school at first because English is not their language at home, but they quickly adjust and end up bilingual. By the third gen, even the accent is gone and many can no longer speak much Spanish at all. There is nothing special here. This is the same pattern as every immigrant group has displayed. Far from being un-American it is, in fact, quintessentially American. Relax, it's gonna be alright.
So if they already speak English, then what is the problem? Why can't they have English as a requirement for amnesty?

Legal immigrants can't move to America without knowing English, so why should illegal immigrants be able to?

Old 04-26-2013, 07:07 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times
The big deal is that we will be taking on all these people who want to make no efffort whatsoever to assimilate and are here only for the easy money, but don't want to learn anything of our culture or adapt in any way.

By not learning English, they cannot prepare their children for school and end up costing much more taxpayer dollars and their children have high drop out rates and welfare becomes generational.

I can't imagine wanting to relocate permanently to another country and making no effort to ever learn it's language and culture. Just stay home in that case. Stay in your own country where you know the language and culture.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:08 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,556,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What for? And what has that to do with the topic at hand?
What for? Seriously?
Dayum!

Old 04-26-2013, 07:16 PM

3,063 posts, read 2,567,475 times
Is it right that the only requirement for amnesty is that they have been in the US since 2011. That means I could have gone to the US, overstayed my visa and I become an American citizen.

That is way too easy. Previously they at least talked about being underage when they got to America, and attending college or military.

Do you guys know what kind of lawyers hell legal immigrants are going through. This bill is like spitting them in the face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or