U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 11:26 AM

252 posts, read 216,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The numbers are staggering and are impacting education.
It's not a non-issue. It's more of a denial of an issue.
what numbers are staggering? how is it impacting education?

Old 04-27-2013, 08:51 PM

3,062 posts, read 2,561,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyjack View Post
Legal immigrants are not forced to learn English. Try again.
Yeah, good luck going through the immigration system without knowing English. You will fail at the interviews, and the test, and all the papers are in English too.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:25 PM

7,541 posts, read 5,150,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
The language of the US is English. If you don't want to learn to speak it, don't move here.
there is no official language of the US. Never has and never will.

You can stay here for the entirety of your life and utter not a word of English.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:33 PM

30,378 posts, read 31,251,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I called my local hospital this morning to schedule a routine Mammogram. I reached a recorded message that instructed me to press 2 if I wanted to proceed in English. I did not and the remainder of the instructions were in Spanish. Well, that was a first. I hung up and redialed and pressed 2 for the "exception".

Bilingual applicants have an edge in today's employment market.

This must be how Native Americans and Hawaiians must have felt.

It's time for me to brush up on 4 years of high school Spanish.
I am not sure where you are located. But in any case, it should be press 2 for Spanish or other languages and the primary language should be English without pressing anything when calling up any official business or American Government office.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:56 AM

31,698 posts, read 14,622,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
there is no official language of the US. Never has and never will.

You can stay here for the entirety of your life and utter not a word of English.
Like it or not English is our national de facto language and it is the native/primary language of the majority of Americans. Never will be official? You have a crystal ball or something? Why would anyone deny English to be our official language? Based on what? Yeah, it's too bad that some people come here and live their whole lives not learning English. If they don't wish to assimilate and become a part of our society then why come here? Are we just a cash cow for some?

Old 04-28-2013, 10:04 AM

9,138 posts, read 6,490,529 times
When was learning English a part of the Immigration Moderenization act of 2013?

There was never any language in the act requiring anyone to "learn english".

happy Cinco de Mayo everyone...

Old 04-28-2013, 10:05 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,506,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Like it or not English is our national de facto language and it is the native/primary language of the majority of Americans. Never will be official? You have a crystal ball or something? Why would anyone deny English to be our official language? Based on what? Yeah, it's too bad that some people come here and live their whole lives not learning English. If they don't wish to assimilate and become a part of our society then why come here? Are we just a cash cow for some?
Obviously the answer is YES. As an aside, heard my first all spanish Target commercial the other day on a national network station. My wife and I looked at each other and said "did I just hear what I thought I did"? There's been a few McDonalds commercials like that in the last 6 months or so as well.

My personal opinion is I resent these commercials and in fact will not patronize a business that does it. I don't mind if they have spanish commercials on Telemundo or another spanish station or in Mexico,Spain or any other primarily latin country but not on a major network and not in the U.S..

No Habla english? That's a shame, learn it.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Obviously the answer is YES. As an aside, heard my first all spanish Target commercial the other day on a national network station. My wife and I looked at each other and said "did I just hear what I thought I did"? There's been a few McDonalds commercials like that in the last 6 months or so as well.

My personal opinion is I resent these commercials and in fact will not patronize a business that does it. I don't mind if they have spanish commercials on Telemundo or another spanish station or in Mexico,Spain or any other primarily latin country but not on a major network and not in the U.S..

No Habla english? That's a shame, learn it.
Agreed. I will not shop in a Sears store anymore either. All of their ads over their intercoms are strictly in Spanish. Not even and English version! WTH? Did I just wake up in Mexico?

Old 04-28-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
When was learning English a part of the Immigration Moderenization act of 2013?

There was never any language in the act requiring anyone to "learn english".

happy Cinco de Mayo everyone...
One has to know English to become a citizen and that is the language of this country so why wouldn't an immigrant want to learn it and speak it? How does one get by in this country without learning English unless they have colonized into some kind of barrio.

Stick your Stinko de Mayo where the sun don't shine. Enough is enough. You keep repeating it over and over and what for other than to taunt? If you insist on bragging about the only thing in Mexico's history to brag about then why don't you reserve it for the 5th of May? This is only April 28th and even so it has nothing to do with our country's history.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:05 PM

16,886 posts, read 12,551,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
More Americans should learn second and even third languages. It would be good for us.

why should I or any of my children be required to learn any 2nd language? maybe the illegal aliens should try learning english 1st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or