Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:07 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I thought that was obvious since I said "allow" to migrate here.
You didn't say "allow" anywhere in the comment:

Quote:
No, we expect people of that age not to able to migrate here because they would be a burden to our soceity with their advancing age unless they have the means to support themselves including healthcare. What the hell does the election have to do with that? You're grasping at straws now.
Quote:
Being a smart*ss now? Get back with us when you use perfect grammar 100% of the time and your beloved ethnic group does also. There is no need for these kinds of personal attacks in here. Warning you also...
You're the one getting snippy about responses to your comments, it isn't a "personal attack" to point out how you are posting a response, especially in a topic about English usage. The "I'll report you" and "warning you also" are tiring. If you have a beef about a comment, report it, and let the mods handle it how they see fit.

Quote:
...Fine, if these elderly immigrants are guaranteed financial support in all ways including healthcare coverage by their families here I don't have a problem with them migrating here then. From what I understand though many times the family doesn't follow through with it once their immigrant is here and they become wards of the government instead.
Legal immigrants have a reasonable level of sponsorship that is specified. "From what you understand" and "we expect" are loaded terms however, I've seen where you get your sources. You know it really undercuts your announced stance on "illegal immigration" when you "expect" so many untrue things about legal immigrants, and seem to always beeline to it being about a specific ethnicity: Whether third world immigrants come here legally or illegally ultimately makes little difference

Quote:
Her stats are from the Census Bureau. Most posters in here when talking about legal immigration have suggested that we stop importing poverty but seek out skilled and educated immigrants instead. The fact is that we have more immigrants here from Mexico and other Latino countries both legally and illegally than any other. You cannot deny that those coming from Mexico in particular are not the skilled and educated for the most part but the poor and least educated. A lot of it is through family reunification where the education and skills of these immigrants aren't taken into consideration.

The second link I provided is from the CDC. The third link I provided linked their sources one of which was the Pew Hispanic Center and some government sources. I don't know why you continually deny any negative stats about Hispanics in particular. They are what they are. I wouldn't deny any viable negative stats about my own race/ethnic group. I think of myself as an individual not as part of a tribe that must be defended no matter what the truth is. Most of all I think of myself as a plain ole American.

You were complaining about statements being made about crime rates and births out of wedlock by Hispanics in general. I provided you with the truth and yet you find the truth offensive and complain when links are provided to back the truth up. Really?

Old 04-28-2013, 09:35 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why can't they be made to learn English?
Whoa, hold up. This is America, buddy, not England. Our "official" language, if anything, is AMERICAN.

Don't you push your anti-American agenda on me.

USA! USA! USA!

Old 04-28-2013, 09:38 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
The language of the US is English. If you don't want to learn to speak it, don't move here.
Listen here, comrade. Our "official" language, if anything, is AMERICAN.

Go back to the motherland with that anti-American rhetoric, you communist.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:41 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,106,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
you may as well learn to speak spanish because once the amnesty bill passes, the provisions for 'family unification' kicks in. Each new provisional citizen will be able to bring family members. That's a potential additional 45 million more people that can't, won't, refuse to learn english.
I wonder if the gang of eight can tell us where these people will find jobs, pay for their own health care, find housing.
yeah!!!!! Happy day!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2013, 09:49 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,202 times
Quote:
Well according to some if we don't want to accept the poor, uneducated, unskilled, the elderly who in many cases would be a burden to us and illegal immigrants we are racist, bigots and anti-"immigration".

The New Colossus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sonnet on the Statue of Liberty

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Emma Lazarus

Old 04-28-2013, 11:25 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj
I think we may have a bit of a misunderstanding here. Learning another language because you want to in order to broaden your horizons or to travel is one thing what (at least for me) sets my teeth on edge is being told I have to learn another language (Spanish) to live in my own country which since the country was founded the language was english.
Nobody is telling you that you have to learn another language. Nobody is forcing you into immersion classes or to buy Rosetta Stone. Whether you want to learn it or not is entirely up to you.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:29 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
This bill is anti-American.
This hould be a deal breaker

Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyjack View Post
Legal immigrants are not forced to learn English. Try again.
If they are obtaining citizenship they must know English. Only in rare cases the elderly are exempt.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Agreed. I will not shop in a Sears store anymore either. All of their ads over their intercoms are strictly in Spanish. Not even and English version! WTH? Did I just wake up in Mexico?
I am the same. I will not go to any store that does that. I rather go into a mom & pop shop.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The premise that U.S. citizens or legal immigrants must know English is false. It doesn't matter if we have one particular language or another as primary. There is no requirement for a U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident to know English to remain in that status.
Let me ask you a question.

You don't think immigrants seeking permanent residence should learn the culture of the country they are seeking residency out of love & respect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration