U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:50 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,857,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I believe you said "all other countries combined" originally...

But no, "twice" is no longer true. Chinese Nationals have really increased in the last few years, at the same time Mexicans are coming in decreasing numbers. I'm working from the Department of Homeland Security numbers, if you'll accept that as a source.
No, I have said the U.S. welcomes more legal immigrants than "all other countries combined." If you search the forum, you will see I did indeed say Mexico has twice as many legal immigrants than the second country on the list.

Of course, the numbers from Mexico are now declining. After all, a huge percent of their citizens have already entered this country, both legally and illegally. I realize our immigration demographics have changed. However, I was responding to his/her assertion that Mexicans are forced to violate our laws due to being "shut out" from our legal immigration process.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Then it's a false chart for showing immigration (in 2009) because it also combines naturalization numbers in the total...
Does it change the fact that more Mexicans have been welcomed as immigrants? I think not.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:10 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,028,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Does it change the fact that more Mexicans have been welcomed as immigrants? I think not.
Naturalization numbers are different from immigration, I don't know why there is such a gravitation to that page here. I think we even have a member or two that believes there has been only 276,550 legal immigrants from Mexico by that chart. So maybe it is a good thing to keep bringing it up.

There seems to be a bug in searching for the word "twice" on the forum, and I know I've used the word before in my own posts...

Old 04-30-2013, 11:15 AM

116 posts, read 91,719 times
Quote:
No, I have said the U.S. welcomes more legal immigrants than "all other countries combined."
I'd say we admit more immigrants than other countries. This forum has demonstrated quite clearly we are a long way from welcoming them.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Naturalization numbers are different from immigration, I don't know why there is such a gravitation to that page here. I think we even have a member or two that believes there has been only 276,550 legal immigrants from Mexico by that chart. So maybe it is a good thing to keep bringing it up.

There seems to be a bug in searching for the word "twice" on the forum, and I know I've used the word before in my own posts...
Of course naturalization numbers differ from immigration numbers. Who has suggested otherwise? However, it cannot be denied that we have welcomed more Mexicans over the past decade or so, than citizens from any other country. Therefore, one cannot claim that we are discriminating against Mexicans and shutting them out from our legal immigration process. It's untrue, period.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Panis View Post
I'd say we admit more immigrants than other countries. This forum has demonstrated quite clearly we are a long way from welcoming them.
That's a matter of opinion, and this forum certainly cannot be considered representative of the over 300 million people in this country. In my opinion, we have been more than welcoming. However, we cannot welcome everyone who wishes to come. No country can. If we were not so welcoming, I doubt we would remain a favorite destination.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:19 PM

31,991 posts, read 14,763,638 times
Quote:

Don't they have to migrate here before being naturalized?

Old 04-30-2013, 02:14 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,028,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Don't they have to migrate here before being naturalized?
Why not just go with the source your page is using for just immigrants?:

With the OhMyGov page you are just seeing a window in 2009, where they are adding the naturalizations and legal residencies together. An immigrant can be here five or fifty years before they naturalize. Mexicans naturalize at lower rates than other countries, but you seem bound to bring up this particular source for some reason.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:17 PM

1,864 posts, read 1,971,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post
USA is huge! It can easily accommodate these poor souls.
Do you have any concept of how ill-informed, and idiotic this statement is? The U.S. is in the middle of the longest recession in its history with no end in site. There are no jobs for millions of Americans. Unskilled labor does not provide affordable living. Due to a severe increase in demand, subsidies are less available than ever, and being depleted. Taxation is already too high, and threatens any potential for job growth. The state of California is an example of the extreme damage imposed on its people caused by the huge influxes of immigration. The U.S. is the last country in the world any unskilled worker with common sense should consider living in, but because these people are well aware of subsidies and the lack of enforcement of our immigration laws, they know welfare, AFDC benefits, WIC, SNAP programs, LIHEAP, Medicaid, ESL teaching, housing vouchers are available, so they continue to come. The drain on our school system budgets is immense, we are already seeing the damage to the quality of learning in our school systems. The U.S. used to be number one in education, but now has slipped down to number 18 soley because of immigration, and the ability of illegals to enter their non-English speaking children into our schools.

This also does not mention the stress put on our resources particularly in areas where there is dwindling water supply, such as west TX, CO, AZ, NM, CA, NV, etc. Problems with pollution will be exacerbated, with cars, traffic/fossil fuel pollution and demand and increase dumping in our landfills.

Illegals will do anything, and everything possible to bypass our laws, to do whatever it takes to become another parasite, sucking the economic life out of American society. Their sense of entitlement is astounding, and believe they have every right to come here, and for us to accept their demands.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:02 PM

31,991 posts, read 14,763,638 times
Quote:
That's a matter of opinion, and this forum certainly cannot be considered representative of the over 300 million people in this country. In my opinion, we have been more than welcoming. However, we cannot welcome everyone who wishes to come. No country can. If we were not so welcoming, I doubt we would remain a favorite destination.
Also, the sentiments expressed in this forum are about those here illegally not legally and obviously Mexicans and other Latinos are more welcome than others by our government due to their high numbers here. We do welcome legal immigrants. My personal opinion is that we should welcome an equal number of other nationalities and ethnic groups also though without increasing our overal numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or