U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:09 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,979,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raelynn View Post
Also what you siad about sneaking into mexico illegally ask for medical care and try to speak in english....do you realize that the southern tip of Mexico which mexicans call white mexico. Such as Playa de Carmen, Cozueml, Cancun those places when you go there everyone speaks english, if you get hurt you can go to the hospital, and legal mexicans in their own country work to make white americans happy. So i dont think i really agree with your other post.
News to me. I had to ask for things in Spanish in the five-star resort I stayed in on the Yucatan Peninsula. The woman at the front desk didn't understand me when I asked her for an iron. When I asked her in SPANISH, one was sent to my room immediately. At dinner if you asked a waiter for more ice, you got a blank stare. Ask for 'mas hielo' and you get some.

Even at the Subway sandwich shop in the Cancun airport, I had to order my sandwich fixins in Spanish.

That didn't bother me, since I was in MEXICO...where Spanish is spoken. I sort of expected it and boned up on my Spanish before I went. However...don't tell people that everyone in southern Mexico speaks English. It just isn't true.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:12 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,622,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raelynn View Post
Also what you siad about sneaking into mexico illegally ask for medical care and try to speak in english....do you realize that the southern tip of Mexico which mexicans call white mexico. Such as Playa de Carmen, Cozueml, Cancun those places when you go there everyone speaks english, if you get hurt you can go to the hospital, and legal mexicans in their own country work to make white americans happy. So i dont think i really agree with your other post.
Once again, Raelynn, I'll give you credit for compassion, and I'm sure you're a good person---but the above paragraph is quite a stretch, if you're trying to draw parallels with the situation here in the States. I'm not familiar with the term "White Mexico", but certainly, as you say, these areas do have a huge tourist trade, and plenty of English is spoken--But these areas were planned and heavily subsidized by the Mexican government for the express purpose of drawing a tourist crowd. These areas (along with Ixtapa on the Pacific Coast) are almost totally tourist-oriented areas--you could almost say these areas didn't "exist" as any more than tiny villages, until the Government programs opened them up....and this was done on purpose. And it worked, and the toursists it attracted mostly speak English. And a huge number of locals make their living off this fact. They benefit handsomely by learning to speak English, because it allows them to interact with, and profit from, the foreign visitors.

These foreign tourists, though, aren't seeking to live or work in Mexico. They aren't taking jobs away from anyone, or lowering wages--in fact, they are bringing money IN, providing jobs for the local economy, and RAISING wages. The same is true of the huge colony of Americans around San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato. These people are mostly retired, and are not living "on" the local economy--they're adding to it. They are not competing with Mexican labor, they are providing Mexican labor with many jobs.

It's certainly true that a "tourist economy" may have its problems, and may cause misunderstandings between the tourists and the locals, anywhere it exists. But you can't compare the presence of American tourists in Mexico with the presence of undocumented Mexican immigrants here in the States---these are two entirely different issues....

Old 10-31-2007, 02:13 PM

756 posts, read 1,757,319 times
I think we as americans are fed up with illegals coming to our country and demanding things that they are not entitled to.
So I do agree with the law they need to do this in all 50 states.

This is not a race issue. so people need to stop that.my grand father was native american and grand mother was irish-so the color of someones skin means nothing to me,this does not entitle anyone for a free ride.they had 10 childern and no-one gave them anything.(my moms 1st visit to a dr. was when she was 19years old in married to my father)they recieved no help of any kind and sometime they went to bed hungry.they did not walk around saying give me a job I am entitled to one.no-one brought them new bikes xmas and told them what great kids they were(my grandfathers mother made peppermint candy and sometime they had fresh fruit but that was only a few times).
So the race card does not work for me. I am a very compassionate person but I draw the line when it comes to illegals telling me how bad they have it in there country that is beside the point, I am also a person that believes in order and if you come here illegal you have broken our laws,if you work at our jobs you are stealing our food and if you tell me this is your right you are slaping my in the face !!

The more laws we have the better,just have to firgure out how to get our government to obey there own laws.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I
Cultures change-------Mexicans to their credit are taking responsibility for themselves as in limiting their family size from the 5.7 children per woman (1975) down to 2.4 kids which is barely above the replacement level of 2.1.
Yes, cultures do change, and the American culture is no exception. Problematic as illegal immigration may be (I've gone so far as to say it CANNOT go on indefinitely, without totally altering our present standards of living, freedoms, etc)...I will nevertheless admit that today's Americans--particularly YOUNG Americans,--- really won't do many of these unpleasant jobs, nor will they ever, at any reasonable wage. (I didn't say "can't"--I said "won't")...
Sorry, but that's my belief. I don't think you'll ever get a bunch of suburban 20-year olds out into the sun to pick crops....even at a high wage. You'd have to change their entire outlook on life.
Bottom line is, some of us "old guys" may have done these "nasty" jobs, but today, I think the "American culture has changed" (as stated above)--and I don't think it's going to go back to wanting to do these jobs at any time soon.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:13 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 29 days ago)

9,064 posts, read 15,480,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Yes, cultures do change, and the American culture is no exception. Problematic as illegal immigration may be (I've gone so far as to say it CANNOT go on indefinitely, without totally altering our present standards of living, freedoms, etc)...I will nevertheless admit that today's Americans--particularly YOUNG Americans,--- really won't do many of these unpleasant jobs, nor will they ever, at any reasonable wage. (I didn't say "can't"--I said "won't")...
Sorry, but that's my belief. I don't think you'll ever get a bunch of suburban 20-year olds out into the sun to pick crops....even at a high wage. You'd have to change their entire outlook on life.
Bottom line is, some of us "old guys" may have done these "nasty" jobs, but today, I think the "American culture has changed" (as stated above)--and I don't think it's going to go back to wanting to do these jobs at any time soon.
I am still waiting for someone to post a present day picture of White Americans working in the fields picking fruit and veggies, since most claim Americans are willing to do this work.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
News to me. I had to ask for things in Spanish in the five-star resort I stayed in on the Yucatan Peninsula. The woman at the front desk didn't understand me when I asked her for an iron. When I asked her in SPANISH, one was sent to my room immediately. At dinner if you asked a waiter for more ice, you got a blank stare. Ask for 'mas hielo' and you get some.

Even at the Subway sandwich shop in the Cancun airport, I had to order my sandwich fixins in Spanish.

That didn't bother me, since I was in MEXICO...where Spanish is spoken. I sort of expected it and boned up on my Spanish before I went. However...don't tell people that everyone in southern Mexico speaks English. It just isn't true.
From Tijuana to Cabo San Lucas you will find most businesses speak English and Spanish. When you get to Cabo all of a sudden the real estate owners become American and English is widely spoken.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:23 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,895,723 times
No one to build their houses? No one to cut their grass?
WHY?
Could it be that the legal and honest citizens that used to do that work were forced out of the trades because these thoughtful and caring illegals work far below rate? Could it be that Americans who loved their jobs and thier craft were forced to do things other than what they loved? All so that illegals could make more money than they did in Meheeco? Where is the compassion for the fellow americans who went bankrupt, or had to get jobs at walmart because they could not compete legally against illegals?
Good job OK be the example for the other 49 to follow.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No one to build their houses? No one to cut their grass?
WHY?
Could it be that the legal and honest citizens that used to do that work were forced out of the trades because these thoughtful and caring illegals work far below rate? Could it be that Americans who loved their jobs and thier craft were forced to do things other than what they loved? All so that illegals could make more money than they did in Meheeco? Where is the compassion for the fellow americans who went bankrupt, or had to get jobs at walmart because they could not compete legally against illegals?
Good job OK be the example for the other 49 to follow.
I have construction going on outside my house right now in California, all white and black guys, Americans working in the California "Sanctuary" trade! Oh maybe the illegals have the day off?

Field work, janitorial, line cooks, bus boys...I seriously doubt we will see a change in Americans wanting those jobs, even if every illegal is deported.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:43 PM

3,936 posts, read 5,451,337 times
"To the two posts that you made I do take you opinion into consideration. You said that we help illegals more then we help our own. Most of the people that can not afford proper medical care are the ones that are either using drugs, not working, or have not even made an attempt to help themselves. I did hospital volunteering one summer and half of the hospital Med Surg floor was americans in a detox program!! Just to let you know those programs are free and most of the time unsuccesful. So would you rather give free medical care to a drug addict or to an illegal with the flu."

This is simply false! Do you not watch the news either? They recently profiled a woman in her 30's (a citizen) who is dying of cancer and is $1.00 over the poverty line, and can't get help. She is continuing to work and her taxes are paying for illegals. How dare you say they are drug addicts. There are many cases like this, even our vets who can't get the help they so deserve. I wish I could find you one story in particular of a vet who became disabled.
I volunteer also, and believe me, we have to interact with many illegals, and they constantly want more this, more that. Theres a high turnover of volunteers in that area because they get so sick of it. BTW, my 2nd post was quoting someone from "Bleeding America".

Old 10-31-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
I am still waiting for someone to post a present day picture of White Americans working in the fields picking fruit and veggies, since most claim Americans are willing to do this work.
They will, I assure you---but please give us a little more time. First, we'll have to close all the malls where young people congregate, take away their allowances, and let them know we're SERIOUS. Then we'll have to make the agricultural fields handicap-accessible, so ALL Americans will be eligible to work there. For the asparagus and artichoke crops, though, we won't be able to use knives or machetes, or other sharp tools--these might hurt the workers.

We'll have to provide "cooling-off" stations for those extra hot days, and station a nurse nearby, just in case. And, for anyone unable to meet their daily quota of produce, we'll want to offer "re-training" opportunities, or assign them to an equivalent job that pays the same but DOESN'T involve crop-picking. And of course, we'll have to insist that, if you DO quit your job without cause, you're not eligible for welfare for a year.

Give us time, Mach50, and we'll get some Americans out there picking crops. We just need to make a few adjustments first...

It wil take
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or