U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-12-2007, 01:27 PM
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,050 posts, read 21,175,320 times
Reputation: 22525

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
So what?

How does being lucky invalidate immigration law?
It doesn't invalidate immigration law - but it doesn't go along with his Marxist ideals. Where have you been? We're supposed to feel indebted to Mexico because we are "privileged" to be born here. We owe our neighbors to the south a living by virtue of belonging to a country that manages its finances better. And that's saying a lot, since we all know how well the US budget is actually managed...

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-12-2007 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: no commenting on the poster - even indirectly

 
Old 11-12-2007, 05:23 PM
 
Location: new mexico
447 posts, read 706,405 times
Reputation: 104
quoted by ghost:"what sacrifice did you make to be an american? you got the free ride by being born here, and now you want everyone else to jump through hoops? most illegals, if born in the united states, would be conducting the same lifestyles as most of us: working, paying off a house, and trying to find some love. you fail to recognize. you were born with the silver spoon, and you eat your own bs with it.


sacrifice comes in many forms........i for one am appalled by this statement.
you want to talk about sacrifice? let me explain sacrifice to you.
the illegal that almost took my husbands life cost us because he was uninsured, over 100,000 dollars in medical bills, 50,000 dolars in lost wages, six surgergeries to attempt to correct the damage to my husbands body (he still walks around on a broken leg eleven years l;ater) a bankruptct , and the foreclosure of our home....we werent born with a silver spoon in our mouths, and cannot afford the continuing medical charges...
though we were born americans, the law did not protect us, nor did it deport the man who did the damage, three times arrested for three felonies, yet never deported once.
what kind of sacrifice would you like to see?
i'm sorry, i'm confused by your sympathy for the illegal, yet there seems to be no sympathy for the american victims.
 
Old 11-12-2007, 05:31 PM
 
Location: new mexico
447 posts, read 706,405 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
this could all be a lie. even if its not, its a rare occurrence. if you want to use this story to condemn every single illegal immigrant, go ahead. it just doesnt make sense. what if he was legal? would that really have changed anything? crime and suffering are unfortunate, but theyre part of life. we dont punish a whole populace based on the acts of a few, especially because we would have to tie the nature of the crime to the populace represented. if someone is murdered by a poor white guy, who do we condemn? whites? males? the poor? people within a geographical radius of his place of living? a geographical radius of the place where the crime was committed? ONE CRIME, ONE CRIMINAL.

nm vs roberto flores garcia, crcr961553...........public record.
and you can live the rest of your life with your blinders on, this is far from being a rare occurance...just google victims of violent c rimes committed by illegal immigrants, you cant even imagine the number of websites that pop up.yes, crime and suffering are unfortunate, and they are part of life, but even one illegal committing a violent act is one too many for my liking. you seem to think we have no right to feel the way we do, but if you were in our shoes, i doubt you could be so sympathetic to the illegal, either.
i do feel sympathy for them, but want their countries to do their part in making their lives better as it should be.
if someone is killed by anyone, then the criminal should be punished.....and only the criminal alone.
dont try to make this into a race thing with me, because this isnt what it's about.
 
Old 11-12-2007, 06:18 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,713,217 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
what sacrifice did you make to be an american? you got the free ride by being born here, and now you want everyone else to jump through hoops? most illegals, if born in the united states, would be conducting the same lifestyles as most of us: working, paying off a house, and trying to find some love. you fail to recognize. you were born with the silver spoon, and you eat your own bs with it.
You know something? I happen to think the illegal aliens from Mexico and points south of the border are real lucky. You know why? Because they live right next door to a First World country that currently has a government that puts up with this ^%$#. Other countries wouldn't tolerate this crap. The illegals wouldn't even have time to rent a clown house in Tokyo before the Japanese gave them the bum's rush. But they can come here and bilk and swindle the US taxpayer out of millions. What a deal!

There is one sticking point though. That is the fact that there are billions of other people on this mortal coil who can do the exact same job our current crop of illegals are doing. There is nothing special about these people. There never was. As a matter of fact, we could bring in millions from Asia, Africa, Eastern Europe, Russia and replace every one of them. Send them all home. Our new foreign workers would probably be glad for the opportunity to come to the US on a temporary work visa.
 
Old 11-12-2007, 06:22 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 710,612 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Ghost, your entire argument is base on the same thing again: Everyone is a liar, you are the only truth, and that many should not be punished for the crimes of the few.
i back up my truths. i dont expect any of you to believe what i say without verification.

Quote:
Again, in all your posts, all you do is prove that you are completely devoid of any common sense.
how do i prove that? its your opinion. i can back up my position a lot better than most of the people on this board. i am one of the few that doesnt go around spouting off a bunch of unverified claims. and i use logic in my arguments. what else do you want?

Quote:
The United States does have laws, does have culture.
show me a definition of american culture. the only write-ups i see call america "multicultural". to me, that means there are no right or wrong cultures. no matter where you come from. as long as no one is breaking the law.

Quote:
Yes, we speak ENGLISH in this country. It makes sense for people to learn ENGLISH when they come here.
just because the majority of people do does not imply any legal necessity to learn it. if people dont, they will have communication barriers with many people, and will have to suffer the consequenses. thats their choice. you cant make a rational case against someone because of the language they speak.

Quote:
If you moved to Russia, would you expect them all to learn English just for you? No, of course not. Why the hell should we have to learn Spanish?
if i moved to russia without learning russian, id have a hard time surviving. but if i could, and i didnt desire to learn russian, then i survive. whats the problem with that?

Quote:
I seem to recall you making fun of others for having Double Standards...
this doesnt apply. i have no double standards. you dont have to learn spanish. they dont have to learn english. it would be better if we ALL learned each other's languages.

Quote:
Ghost, your problem is that, like all liberals, you contradict yourself, and get yourself confused. I have done nothing but read your posts for the last two hours, and you make me feel good about myself. I have the balls to defend my country, as I am Active Duty US Army. From what I have read of your opinions, you were obviously never in the military, nor were your parents.
how did i contradict myself? post my contradictory quotes.

and my dad was navy, 6 years. mom was a church goer, still is. im not in the military because of the current administration and current state of the nation. if we actually had a set of values i stood behind, i just might have decided to fight for them. your commander in chief is george w bush, the biggest idiot to ever hold the title. you must be proud.

Quote:
MOD CUT
Quote:
You blindly argue that many should not be punished for the crimes of the few. Many examples have been cited of illegal immigrants committing heinous crimes, and you compare them to regular citizens, which do have the same capacity for evil. Yet I can off the top of my head name dozens, if not hundreds of regular citizens that have made an exemplary contribution to the well being of this country, and I am willing to be you would be hard pressed to find a single illegal immigrant that has done that.
article about illegal aliens in the military: Michelle Malkin » ILLEGAL ALIENS IN THE MILITARY

article verifying illegal aliens paying taxes:
Reason Foundation Commentary: Illegal Immigrants are Paying a Lot More Taxes Than You Think

so do you see now how verifying your information goes a long way? you have been proven wrong and i have been proven right. i just hope you're man enough to concede.

Quote:
If you are going to compare two things, do a full comparison, not the half-comparison that you are so fond of.
hahaha... you first.
 
Old 11-12-2007, 06:25 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 710,612 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
English is the de facto language of the USA-------'nuff said.
de facto... 'nuff said.
 
Old 11-12-2007, 06:34 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 710,612 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Find me a defition of culture from a dictionary for ANY COUNTRY.
Culture by region - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the united states is credited with cinema and unique sports. everything else is a MELTING POT. multiculturalism! so are a lot of the other regions. what does that tell us? two things. first, culture evolves. second, you need to go to an encyclopedia to find a definition of a specific country's culture. the dictionary was no help.

Quote:
Could afford them? Or put forth the effort?
afford them. if this was based on pure effort, then the people who risk their lives crossing a border, only to work like dogs for less than minimum wage, would be the ones getting citizenship. the single mother working 3 jobs would be the president. but alas, in this country, money talks.

Quote:
You want to get some stats, find out for me how many illegals applied for citizenship. HOW MANY OF THEM ACTUALLY MADE AN ATTEMPT? That is what's PRETTY WEAK.
why would they apply if they know they cant afford it? weak argument.

Quote:
I don't know, maybe some motivation, maybe feeling worthless because you expect everyone else to cater to you, maybe common sense, maybe the slightest sense of pride for your new country......
maybe? nope. thats just your perspective. they can survive without english, and are under no legal obligation to learn it. why dont you lead by example and learn spanish? unmotivated? expect everyone else to cater to you? and by the way, it has nothing to do with pride. the language is voluntary, so dont spin it like not assimilating to the majority when the law doesnt require it is somehow prideless or unpatriotic. thats shady.

Quote:
Well I think my arguments with you are at an end. I could get farther arguing with a brick wall, or perhaps a 5 year old that may have a higher maturity level.
its ironic how you insult my maturity with name-calling.

Quote:
If and when you say something intelligent (which I'm finding extremely doubtful), I will respond. Until then, I'm not wasting my time or breath.
i dont understand how you can say this. even if you dont agree with me, im obviously no dummy. your frustration stems from your general hatred towards people. and when people call out your hate, you respond the only way you seem to know how: with more hate.

break the cycle. open your mind and your heart.
 
Old 11-12-2007, 06:36 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 710,612 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
So what?

How does being lucky invalidate immigration law?
it doesnt. but a proper recognition of our fortunes might lead us to change the law to something more universally fair. it would not only allow us to humble ourselves, but it would eliminate all this "illegal" border crossing, unscreened health problems, identity theft, etc. etc. etc.

the solution is in front of us. some of us just choose stubbornness and hatred, because they dont want to give up one ounce of their abundant luxury. pretty sad.
 
Old 11-12-2007, 06:43 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 710,612 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
sacrifice comes in many forms........i for one am appalled by this statement.
you want to talk about sacrifice? let me explain sacrifice to you.
the illegal that almost took my husbands life cost us because he was uninsured, over 100,000 dollars in medical bills, 50,000 dolars in lost wages, six surgergeries to attempt to correct the damage to my husbands body (he still walks around on a broken leg eleven years l;ater) a bankruptct , and the foreclosure of our home....we werent born with a silver spoon in our mouths, and cannot afford the continuing medical charges...
and you somehow think that deporting all illegal immigrants is going to change all that? you were unlucky, no doubt, but your reaction to the problem can actually make things worse.

Quote:
though we were born americans, the law did not protect us, nor did it deport the man who did the damage, three times arrested for three felonies, yet never deported once.
what kind of sacrifice would you like to see?
i'm sorry, i'm confused by your sympathy for the illegal, yet there seems to be no sympathy for the american victims.
of course im sympathetic to the victims. my sympathy doesnt extend to the criminal. all illegal aliens are not violent criminals, therefore my sympathy still extends to the ones who aren't.

btw, if american law didnt protect you, where is your anger at that? dont you feel like the law is, oh, unfair? maybe it needs to be changed?
 
Old 11-12-2007, 06:52 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 710,612 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
nm vs roberto flores garcia, crcr961553...........public record.
and you can live the rest of your life with your blinders on, this is far from being a rare occurance...just google victims of violent c rimes committed by illegal immigrants, you cant even imagine the number of websites that pop up.yes, crime and suffering are unfortunate, and they are part of life, but even one illegal committing a violent act is one too many for my liking.
nobody likes crime in general. but how far do we go to prevent it all? why do we have limitations? therein lies the answer for all people, regardless of immigration status.

Quote:
you seem to think we have no right to feel the way we do, but if you were in our shoes, i doubt you could be so sympathetic to the illegal, either.
im not sympathetic to the one man. im sympathetic to the ones who have committed no crime (except crossing over), and who will be punished due to the actions of the one man.

Quote:
i do feel sympathy for them, but want their countries to do their part in making their lives better as it should be.
so do i! and if their countries drop the ball, should we just let the people become lost and hopeless? it will just create problems. do you want to know how i know this? because that is what we are currently doing, and look at the problems we have.

Quote:
if someone is killed by anyone, then the criminal should be punished.....and only the criminal alone.
dont try to make this into a race thing with me, because this isnt what it's about.

i agree completely! but how is supporting the argument for universal deportation by citing non-universal crimes in step with this belief? if you want universal deportation, fine. but dont use crime as a reason. it's bs, and im pretty sure you just said the exact same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top