U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2007, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Southern Arizona
9,308 posts, read 25,663,111 times
Reputation: 10566

Advertisements

LOL . . . great post, vivski!

 
Old 11-12-2007, 09:53 PM
 
Location: new mexico
447 posts, read 706,092 times
Reputation: 104
oh, ghost, i dont think that english only is the answer, i could never think anyone should be deprived of their native language, i would never say one language, i would only ask for one common langauge.for unitys sake.
 
Old 11-12-2007, 09:53 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 709,588 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
'Monocultural' is better--------so-called multicultural/multilingual nations fly apart with 2-3 generations, tops. The one exception that comes to mind is Switzerland; although it can be argued they are monocultural but simply 3 or 4 different languages.

One big, of the main reason that France has remained essentially the same over hundreds of years is that is one main language and culture.

Spain is showing signs of breaking up due to its Catalon and Basque minorities-----never mind to us Gringoes they are all 'Hispanic'.
all this is super duper. but it does nothing to change the fact that we have no mandates to be monocultural, and since we are such an affluent nation, people of all colors and cultures are going to want to come here. that is why we are multicultural.
 
Old 11-12-2007, 10:00 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 709,588 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
i invite you to read my posts, i believe they are archived, for your conveinience.
you tell me where my anger lies.
i believe it lies in the fact first someone was able to committ three felony crimes while being in my country (yes i call it "my country" because my family has been in america since 1639...and never mind the tired stuff about how we europeans took away from the indians, cause i am native american too)
and then..that man was never deprted once.then it ies in the elected officials on down.
i dont really think there is a very easy way to deport all illegals, geez.you really think i am ignorant, right?
what i do support is once an illegal is arrested and convicted of a crime, other than being here illegally then the rule of law must step in and t must be enforced..
i have been told (by the district attorneys office that the law was designed for the accused and not the victim,and this law applies to the illegal immigrant, because we are a humane nation.... but this law does apply to everyone....and so does the immigration law....not only have they committed the "civil" crime of being here illegally, if convicted of another crime, they have broken another one on top of it.)they need to go home.
this isnt a question of desperation , after that point.
whether you would like me to believe it or not.
and about my reaction to this situation only making things worse....then i say this.........how am i supposed to react? i am angry and i am sad...and i am dissillusioned........you...tell me...how to react.
i have forgiven the man for drinking and driving, and almost killing the one man i have loved for 25 years, i have forgiven the crime but he has never asked for forgiveness. he ran from justice for nine years and two weeks after he was released from his measly sentence...of probation...and no deportation, he goes out and gets arrested again for something else...unbelieveable.is that a man who deserves your sympathy? my husband works a forty plus hour work week, taking on sidejobs, climbing in attics and under houses, working in a blue blue collar job, on a broken leg...he is a good man...never complains about his pain...and let me tell you this, he is as red white and blue as they get, his grandfather a ww2 veteren and he a marine..he also forgives the man who almost killed him.... realizes the mans possible alcoholism may ahve been the true culprit, but he realizes that if our immigration laws had been enforced that night, the accident may have never happened
i realize that some, if not most are here for a better life...they love their families and their neighbors.they ARE good people. i just want them to come here legally...and while they choose to stay they are moral people who wouldnt hurt a fly. i live by the golden rule, dont you?why is that so wrong to ask that of the person who wants to immigrate??
this was a nice post to read, mostly because of the forgiveness you gave, and the admittance that most are here for a better life and are good people.

your fight with this man is justified to me. i have no sympathy for him. but he is not a representative or any sort of poster child for illegal immigrants as a whole. treat him as the individual scum he is. no one will object to that. but dont bring down anyone else with him. he's done enough harm on his own.

i can understand the desire for people to come in the country legally, too. but understand that the free and fast reform i propose would take away incentives to enter illegally, basically granting your wish. who cares what the costs and wait times are, as long as theyre criminal and health-screened before entry? wouldnt that satisfy us both?
 
Old 11-12-2007, 10:08 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 709,588 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
in order to vote, you must be a citizen..in order to be a citizen, you must learn english..
it is not a legal requirement, just a circumstance of the testing procedure. i dont believe that law is fair. if no spoken language is mandated, then all should be accommodated.

Quote:
you may not be a felon or an non resident alien.....hmmmmm transcripts and forms in multi launguages for tourists.ok...you got me there...but transcripts and form in multiple languages for illegal immigrants or anyone who wishes to live here and respect it's new nations language de facto???????????
sure. its a de facto language. it is not legally mandated, just an implied standard. until its a legal mandate, why would you discriminate against people who speak another language?

Quote:
....someone accused you of being a tree hugger once, ghost...i think...but if this is correct, i would have to diageree..i mean, think of all the trees you'd be killing........and just think of the carnage that would make?
actually, i do love nature. but im no dummy. i do not support all the sensationalism of environmentalists. logging is a good thing. the loggers clear out old trees and plant new ones in their place. its product security.

Quote:
no...do you realize the cost of what you are suggesting?
oh, yeah...maybe you are only speaking of spanish.
i do not realize the costs. can you inform me?

Quote:
i say if you are going to cater to one you must cater to all.............
i agree completely!
 
Old 11-12-2007, 10:09 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 709,588 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
oh, ghost, i dont think that english only is the answer, i could never think anyone should be deprived of their native language, i would never say one language, i would only ask for one common langauge.for unitys sake.
Esperanto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

best of luck
 
Old 11-12-2007, 10:14 PM
 
Location: new mexico
447 posts, read 706,092 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
LOL . . . great post, vivski!

can you see me taking a bow?graci.
 
Old 11-12-2007, 10:42 PM
 
Location: new mexico
447 posts, read 706,092 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
this was a nice post to read, mostly because of the forgiveness you gave, and the admittance that most are here for a better life and are good people.

your fight with this man is justified to me. i have no sympathy for him. but he is not a representative or any sort of poster child for illegal immigrants as a whole. treat him as the individual scum he is. no one will object to that. but dont bring down anyone else with him. he's done enough harm on his own.

i can understand the desire for people to come in the country legally, too. but understand that the free and fast reform i propose would take away incentives to enter illegally, basically granting your wish. who cares what the costs and wait times are, as long as theyre criminal and health-screened before entry? wouldnt that satisfy us both?

see...i knew there was a compassionate person in there, somewhere.
please excuse my surprise in this.

i would like to respond , though.

first, i wouldnt lump anyone in this mans character, but i fully support securing our border.
in these days and ages, with terrorism as it is...whether here or in other countries(the old red , white and blue aint as loved as we were once)i do think we need to go back to the 50's.
there was definetly a no fly zone then and there wasnt the issue of 20 + million illegal immigrants.
i dont think of this as a "mexican "issue, i think of this as national security.true we have homegrown crime, i have family in oklahoma city...i saw the andrea yates stuff, i even know of thes story and have met the family of a woman and three young girls who lost heir lives to a drunk driver who was native american.....where do you draw the line? with your own citizens(hard enough for these heroes who try) or with the ones who have invaded your soil?
suddenly the law enforcement have become military?
thats not right.
do not take me wrong, i do not think all are ruthless murderers, or "criminals" i do not lump them all this way...i just think it's wrong they dont think they should have to follow the rules.
my city has red light cameras, and at 100 dollars a pop...i dont run the red light.hmmmmmmwhat a concept.
the rule applies to all..not just some.
you say the free and fast way is suitable for you, and i question this...what would your "wait"time be i mean, how long do you think a criminal background check, a full health screening, etc, would take?, and free? but in the same breath say, you say who cares what the cost or the wait time as long as they are criminal or healthscreened before they enter????????
ok...isnt that what everyone has said?
make up ypur mind, it's ok, i'll give you time, no pressure...but either it;'s free and fast....or.....it's the "anti illegal " way. by the rules.
 
Old 11-12-2007, 11:07 PM
 
Location: new mexico
447 posts, read 706,092 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
it is not a legal requirement, just a circumstance of the testing procedure. i dont believe that law is fair. if no spoken language is mandated, then all should be accommodated.

How to Become a U S Citizen


sure. its a de facto language. it is not legally mandated, just an implied standard. until its a legal mandate, why would you discriminate against people who speak another language?How to Become a U S Citizen
i do not discriminate against anyone...let me tell you a story.oops, what you would call a bedtime story....maybe....a lie?
i was born with a two port wine stains on my face............over the years i have been asked if it was a hickie...if it was a bruise... if it was a scar...if it was..god...unbelieveable.i have been picked on, beaten, ran home being chased by kids, hit with switches from trees because someone thought i was different.discriminated against in a way.
i have been insulted, and worse, because of my birthmark.
my mom calls them angel kisses, and i believe her.i think because of my birthmark, i have been blessed to see beyond color or nationality, or handicap...because i am "different" too.
i have had deaf friend, and blind friends, and mexican friends and black friends...etc..all i would be proud to call family.why must you make this about race...because we all know which language you are so wrapped up into respecting.i say..if you are going to do it for the spanish immigarants you must do it for every other language and honestly, i think you are reaching for the stars.
good luck.



actually, i do love nature. but im no dummy. i do not support all the sensationalism of environmentalists. logging is a good thing. the loggers clear out old trees and plant new ones in their place. its product security.

really.you believe that?old trees.hmmmmmm...ok, lets talk about the reason there are forrest fires...dead brush and trees.i live in a logging state, believe it or not.
loggers are taking green trees...not dead lumber. but i bet you want "proof"
sorry.get it on your own.
i did all my homework, sorry you will just have to tell the teacher your dog ate it.


i do not realize the costs. can you inform me?
why should i do your research? i mean cheating in school was never my fortei.



i agree completely!
whatever. prove it to me.
 
Old 11-12-2007, 11:11 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 709,588 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
whatever. prove it to me.
prove what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top