U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 04:03 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times

Advertisements

Exactamente!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
They will, I assure you---but please give us a little more time. First, we'll have to close all the malls where young people congregate, take away their allowances, and let them know we're SERIOUS. Then we'll have to make the agricultural fields handicap-accessible, so ALL Americans will be eligible to work there. For the asparagus and artichoke crops, though, we won't be able to use knives or machetes, or other sharp tools--these might hurt the workers.

We'll have to provide "cooling-off" stations for those extra hot days, and station a nurse nearby, just in case. And, for anyone unable to meet their daily quota of produce, we'll want to offer "re-training" opportunities, or assign them to an equivalent job that pays the same but DOESN'T involve crop-picking. And of course, we'll have to insist that, if you DO quit your job without cause, you're not eligible for welfare for a year.

Give us time, Mach50, and we'll get some Americans out there picking crops. We just need to make a few adjustments first...

It wil take

Old 10-31-2007, 04:03 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No one to build their houses? No one to cut their grass?
WHY?
Could it be that the legal and honest citizens that used to do that work were forced out of the trades because these thoughtful and caring illegals work far below rate? Could it be that Americans who loved their jobs and thier craft were forced to do things other than what they loved? All so that illegals could make more money than they did in Meheeco? Where is the compassion for the fellow americans who went bankrupt, or had to get jobs at walmart because they could not compete legally against illegals?
Good job OK be the example for the other 49 to follow.
Short answer is this---Illegals for many years did hot, hard, difficult or unappealing work that Americans chose not to do. For decades, this was OK, and nobody seriously objected. To some extent, they STILL DO these jobs.

However, illegals are now moving into jobs that Americans DO want to do--and are lowering the wage scale. Now Americans ARE objecting, because it is directly hurting what has traditionally been the middle class.

It's unlikely that Americans of any race will ever line up to take crop-picking or toilet-scrubbing positions. Many Americans, though would be happy to work as Roofers, Concrete Finishers, Plasterers, and Chefs. They no longer can, though, because illegals have lowered the pay scale for these once "blue collar middle class" jobs..

That's the crux of the agrgument...And most of the blame, as I see it, goes to a lot of people---the illegals themselves for "scabbing" these jobs, the legal workers for demanding an ever-increasing rate of pay, in some case the Labor Unions, and mostly, the greedy employers who are "orchestrating" the whole thing, and their spineless cohorts in Congress.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:28 PM

3,589 posts, read 2,974,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
From Tijuana to Cabo San Lucas you will find most businesses speak English and Spanish. When you get to Cabo all of a sudden the real estate owners become American and English is widely spoken.
That's Baja, though. A lot of us Texans go to the Yucatan. I speak Spanish anyway so I don't really care if they don't speak English, and it doesn't get me in a froth because I don't expect every Mexican to speak English.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:45 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,223,441 times
Quote:
I am still waiting for someone to post a present day picture of White Americans working in the fields picking fruit and veggies, since most claim Americans are willing to do this work.
Is that as good as you've got? LOL! Well by all means then, let's spend billons of dollars to keep these illegals in the field. To hell with law and order. What a lame excuse

Old 10-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
Is that as good as you've got? LOL! Well by all means then, let's spend billons of dollars to keep these illegals in the field. To hell with law and order. What a lame excuse
It is no excuse, it is a claim that I have yet to see proven, a fallacy.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:59 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
As I have stated in the past: if us Americans are such a bunch of pansies sans illegal immigrants doing our grunt work--------we as a nation do not deserve to exist.

Maybe the acid test will be when most of the illegals are expelled.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:01 PM

140 posts, read 79,701 times
Default Why Make It A Racial Issue?

Quote:
I am still waiting for someone to post a present day picture of White Americans working in the fields picking fruit and veggies, since most claim Americans are willing to do this work.
DO YOU THINK THAT ONLY NON-WHITES ARE WILLING TO PERFORM MANUAL LABOR? I STARTED OUT, AT THE AGE OF 14, WORKING A PICK AND SHOVEL FOR 12 HOURS A DAY. ONCE I GOT AN OPPORTUNITY TO UNLOAD WATER MELON TRUCKS FOR A WEEK. FELT LIKE A VACATION! DIFFERENCE IS I THEN WENT ON TO COLLEGE, STARTED A CARREER, ETC. MAYBE THAT'S THE ROAD THAT "WHITES" TYPICALLY TAKE. BUT, NO MATTER THE REASON, IT ISN'T A RACIAL ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-31-2007, 06:03 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,490,525 times
Quote:
It is no excuse, it is a claim that I have yet to see proven, a fallacy.
Medical bills alone in Harris county Texas in 2005 was 85,000,000 dollars for illegals and this was above anything they paid in taxes or part of their bill....this information came from the Harris county tax collector. He guesses the the dollar amount would be in the 100's of millions for their children for school but he can't ask the schools if the kids a leagal as he can in the county hospitals. And the list goes on and on......

Old 10-31-2007, 09:03 PM

3,936 posts, read 5,448,242 times
Every time a "white" American says anything about another race, its racist. Americans try harder than anyone to be pc. There are simply more Mexican illegals over here than any other race. Most of the crimes and people applying for help are illegal Mexicans. Thats not racist, thats fact.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:27 PM

13,755 posts, read 23,220,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Most of the crimes and people applying for help are illegal Mexicans. Thats not racist, thats fact.
And you know that how??? I've looked at the FBI, GAO and Dept of Justice web sites and can't find any data supporting these claims.

I've seen blog sites claiming this data exist, but I haven't seen any provide specific analytical data or link to the site of original data (and the US Govt sites are available for linking).

I'm open minded about this, but it would help the argument if supporting data was provided, from a credible site.

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-31-2007 at 09:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or