Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 10:50 AM

1,511 posts, read 978,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Thanks for the posting raelynn, and thanks Mach50 for making it more readable to me.

I understand your sentiments, but would like to point out a couple of things to you. If we allow folks to work illegally in the USA we drive down wages here for the lowest income workers, having devastating effects on their ability to earn decent wages over the long term. This makes their lives much more difficult than it need be in a fair system.

As I understand it, Mexico currently has a little over 100 million folks. Now, let's assume that the number of illegal immigrants in the USA is about 20 million, practically all of them being Mexican. If these 20 million folks would be in Mexico instead of the USA, couldn't they have potentially a significant role in changing the Mexican gov't for the better, in providing a better standard of living for all residents? Doesn't this make more sense over the long term, wouldn't both countries benefit more if the life of the average and the poorer Mexicans was improved over the next decade or so?
it is easier said than done. we cant unify people stateside to pass initiatives we almost universally agree on (war in iraq, war on drugs, etc.). to ask them to not only unify, but against a much more violent government, is asking alot.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
raelynn, so you think because America supposedly helps its American citizens, then they should also help illegals? We help illegals more than our own citizens! Illegals get free medical care when our own citizens are dying because they can't afford the proper medical care, but they still work to pay for illegals needs. If you read the Oklahoma newspapers, you would already know this. They have caused a lot of havoc here. I would like to better myself and my family, but not to the point of breaking the law to do it. Drs. have free clinics for these illegals, and they have been caught getting free medicine and turning right around and selling it! They don't even want them back in Mexico. Try reading the Mexican constitution if you think our laws are tough.
this isnt a comparative issue. im upset at the fact that everybody isnt receiving at least basic, free healthcare. they have it more than us? im not mad at them. im mad at the lawmakers who are holding us down by not socializing healthcare. you can have socialized and privatized healthcare for all i care. at least give us all the option! and direct your hostility at the appropriate people, please.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Consider this:
This is from myPOV in Bleeding America "If you are ready for the adventure of a lifetime, TRY THIS: Enter Mexico illegally. Never mind immigration quotas, visas, International law, or any of that nonsense. Once there, demand that the local government provide free medical care For you and your entire family. Demand bilingual nurses and doctors. Demand free bilingual local government forms, bulletins, etc. Procreate abundantly. Deflect any criticism of this allegedly irresponsible reproductive Behavior with, "It is a cultural U.S.A. thing. You would not understand, pal." Keep your American identity strong. Fly Old Glory from your rooftop, or proudly display it in your front window or on your car bumper. Speak only English at home and in public and insist that your children Do likewise. Demand classes on American culture in the Mexican school system. Demand a local Mexican driver license. This will afford other legal Rights and will go far to legitimize your unauthorized, illegal, presence in Mexico Drive around with no liability insurance and ignore local traffic laws. Insist that local Mexican law enforcement teach English to all its officers. Good luck! You'll be demanding for the rest of time or soon be dead. Because it will never happen. It will not happen in Mexico or any other country In the world except right here in the United States, Land of the naive, politically correct politicians."
no one is denying mexico's immigration laws are stricter than the us's. but being the lesser of two evils doesnt make you good. it just makes you less evil. is a murderer a good person because the next guy murdered more?

Old 11-06-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
News to me. I had to ask for things in Spanish in the five-star resort I stayed in on the Yucatan Peninsula. The woman at the front desk didn't understand me when I asked her for an iron. When I asked her in SPANISH, one was sent to my room immediately. At dinner if you asked a waiter for more ice, you got a blank stare. Ask for 'mas hielo' and you get some.

Even at the Subway sandwich shop in the Cancun airport, I had to order my sandwich fixins in Spanish.

That didn't bother me, since I was in MEXICO...where Spanish is spoken. I sort of expected it and boned up on my Spanish before I went. However...don't tell people that everyone in southern Mexico speaks English. It just isn't true.
this is a no-brainer. for you, not speaking the native language was a hinderance, as it is for spanish speakers. just because more people are marketing to their demographic lately doesnt mean they dont still face these hinderances. and its their choice to learn english or deal with these hinderances.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:18 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Are you saying Mexicans in general or illegal immigrants? Thats like saying "White people go back to Europe and use your skills there".
No white Europeans brought those skills from Europe to use in their new country, America. They wanted to become Americans.
Mexicans came with nothing more than a strong back and no desire of becoming an American.
Since they don’t want to become Americans (based on the fact that even after decades living in the US, they prefer to fly flags from Mexico, speak only Spanish and not become American citizens) now that they have learned some skills they need to go back to their country and make it into a country to be proud of.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
No white Europeans brought those skills from Europe to use in their new country, America. They wanted to become Americans.
Mexicans came with nothing more than a strong back and no desire of becoming an American.
Since they don’t want to become Americans (based on the fact that even after decades living in the US, they prefer to fly flags from Mexico, speak only Spanish and not become American citizens) now that they have learned some skills they need to go back to their country and make it into a country to be proud of.
"they" prefer to fly flags from mexico? who is "they"? it is certainly false information if youre implying that every single mexican does this. same with speaking spanish... many are bilingual (which is more than we can say for many citizens). it is this sort of language that promotes false concepts. lets try to keep our words very literal and accurate, for everybody's sake.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:06 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
"they" prefer to fly flags from mexico? who is "they"? it is certainly false information if youre implying that every single mexican does this. same with speaking spanish... many are bilingual (which is more than we can say for many citizens). it is this sort of language that promotes false concepts. lets try to keep our words very literal and accurate, for everybody's sake.
That would be the ones holding the Mexican flags during the day with out a Mexican protests. Are you the only one that missed this?

I’m not implying anything. The Mexicans that would be returning to Mexico are the ones that are here illegally. That’s what the OK law is attempting to enforce and what this post is about.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:17 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
Quote:
this is a no-brainer. for you, not speaking the native language was a hinderance, as it is for spanish speakers. just because more people are marketing to their demographic lately doesnt mean they dont still face these hinderances. and its their choice to learn english or deal with these hinderances.
Can you read? I said that I CAN speak Spanish and I was not hindered in any way when I was in Mexico despite the fact that many people I encountered could not speak English. I didn't even complain; I simply stated a fact. I would NOT expect people I encounter in Mexico to be able to speak English; I always start off assuming that they do not.

Get off your soapbox.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
That would be the ones holding the Mexican flags during the day with out a Mexican protests. Are you the only one that missed this?

I’m not implying anything. The Mexicans that would be returning to Mexico are the ones that are here illegally. That’s what the OK law is attempting to enforce and what this post is about.
based on the context of your post, "they" would imply all mexicans. just trying to make sure the information you post is accurate as possible.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:23 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
Quote:
based on the context of your post, "they" would imply all mexicans. just trying to make sure the information you post is accurate as possible.
Ghost...you're not qualified to act as my or anyone else's fact-checker, since you can't tell the difference between a fact and your opinion.

Have a super day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration