Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:41 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Besides, tell me again how someone paying thousands to a coyote to smuggle them in "can't afford" to come in properly?
Hmmmmmm.......... Maybe it's cause they CAN afford it, they just have no regard for the law, hmmmm.........

Old 11-12-2007, 08:52 PM

1,511 posts, read 977,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Who says we have to be a "multicultural nation"?
its not that. its that nothing says we have to be monocultural.

Quote:
Besides, whatever happened to, "if you don't like it, don't move here?" I've heard people say they could never move to Quebec because they couldn't stand having to know French to get along. Too bad not everyone is that logical, huh?
they do like it. they have much better lives.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Hmmmmmm.......... Maybe it's cause they CAN afford it, they just have no regard for the law, hmmmm.........
maybe... maybe even though they can afford it, they dont want to wait? doesnt that make a little more sense than this seemingly insatiable desire to be an outlaw just because?

Old 11-12-2007, 09:03 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
maybe... maybe even though they can afford it, they dont want to wait? doesnt that make a little more sense than this seemingly insatiable desire to be an outlaw just because?
So first you said it's not that they don't want to put forth the effort, it's that they can't afford it. NOW, you say they CAN afford it, they just don't want to wait. Not wanting to wait is NOT a good enough excuse to break the law and cut in line in front of others obtaining citzenship legally. What, pray tell, will you come up with to back track on your self imposed contradiction now???????? MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-12-2007 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: don't comment on board perspective on poster(s)

Old 11-12-2007, 09:05 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
its not that. its that nothing says we have to be monocultural.
'Monocultural' is better--------so-called multicultural/multilingual nations fly apart with 2-3 generations, tops. The one exception that comes to mind is Switzerland; although it can be argued they are monocultural but simply 3 or 4 different languages.

One big, of the main reason that France has remained essentially the same over hundreds of years is that is one main language and culture.

Spain is showing signs of breaking up due to its Catalon and Basque minorities-----never mind to us Gringoes they are all 'Hispanic'.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:15 PM

447 posts, read 797,911 times
Quote:
and you somehow think that deporting all illegal immigrants is going to change all that? you were unlucky, no doubt, but your reaction to the problem can actually make things worse.

of course im sympathetic to the victims. my sympathy doesnt extend to the criminal. all illegal aliens are not violent criminals, therefore my sympathy still extends to the ones who aren't.

btw, if american law didnt protect you, where is your anger at that? dont you feel like the law is, oh, unfair? maybe it needs to be changed?
i invite you to read my posts, i believe they are archived, for your conveinience.
you tell me where my anger lies.
i believe it lies in the fact first someone was able to committ three felony crimes while being in my country (yes i call it "my country" because my family has been in america since 1639...and never mind the tired stuff about how we europeans took away from the indians, cause i am native american too)
and then..that man was never deprted once.then it ies in the elected officials on down.
i dont really think there is a very easy way to deport all illegals, geez.you really think i am ignorant, right?
what i do support is once an illegal is arrested and convicted of a crime, other than being here illegally then the rule of law must step in and t must be enforced..
i have been told (by the district attorneys office that the law was designed for the accused and not the victim,and this law applies to the illegal immigrant, because we are a humane nation.... but this law does apply to everyone....and so does the immigration law....not only have they committed the "civil" crime of being here illegally, if convicted of another crime, they have broken another one on top of it.)they need to go home.
this isnt a question of desperation , after that point.
whether you would like me to believe it or not.
and about my reaction to this situation only making things worse....then i say this.........how am i supposed to react? i am angry and i am sad...and i am dissillusioned........you...tell me...how to react.
i have forgiven the man for drinking and driving, and almost killing the one man i have loved for 25 years, i have forgiven the crime but he has never asked for forgiveness. he ran from justice for nine years and two weeks after he was released from his measly sentence...of probation...and no deportation, he goes out and gets arrested again for something else...unbelieveable.is that a man who deserves your sympathy? my husband works a forty plus hour work week, taking on sidejobs, climbing in attics and under houses, working in a blue blue collar job, on a broken leg...he is a good man...never complains about his pain...and let me tell you this, he is as red white and blue as they get, his grandfather a ww2 veteren and he a marine..he also forgives the man who almost killed him.... realizes the mans possible alcoholism may ahve been the true culprit, but he realizes that if our immigration laws had been enforced that night, the accident may have never happened
i realize that some, if not most are here for a better life...they love their families and their neighbors.they ARE good people. i just want them to come here legally...and while they choose to stay they are moral people who wouldnt hurt a fly. i live by the golden rule, dont you?why is that so wrong to ask that of the person who wants to immigrate??

Old 11-12-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Interesting, GHOST . . . the first statement you've made with which I agree 100%.

However, your key word is "survive" and simply "survive" is not why the ridiculous and shallow pro-illegal hypocrites claim the illegals entered the United States to accomplish. They supposedly came here to prosper and obtain a better life, however, that will never happen unless they exert themselves, learn English and do whatever possible to assimilate.

Bottom line . . . refuse to learn and speak English and they will always remain Second Class Citizens destined to live a Second Class existence in the ghettos.

Is that how you intend to help your friends?
bummer....dude....or dudette..........couldnt agree with you more...wanted to rep.but couldnt so...i guess this will have to do...you are the man...or the woman..didnt read your profile.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
english only is unfair. if you want to use it as a primary language for government activity, fine. but as a multicultural nation with no official language, we should make transcripts and forms available in multiple languages. simple.

or you can have translators. works for the UN.
in order to vote, you must be a citizen..in order to be a citizen, you must learn english..you may not be a felon or an non resident alien.....hmmmmm transcripts and forms in multi launguages for tourists.ok...you got me there...but transcripts and form in multiple languages for illegal immigrants or anyone who wishes to live here and respect it's new nations language de facto???????????....someone accused you of being a tree hugger once, ghost...i think...but if this is correct, i would have to diageree..i mean, think of all the trees you'd be killing........and just think of the carnage that would make?
no...do you realize the cost of what you are suggesting?
oh, yeah...maybe you are only speaking of spanish.
i say if you are going to cater to one you must cater to all.............

Old 11-12-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
[/b]thats some good news.
it is very difficult to learn a whole new language when you are older. it is usual the second generation that becomes bilingual. that first generation is not going to give up the opportunities presented because they cant learn a language. i wouldnt either.

ghost.i do agree here, myhusbands great grandfather came from russia, a polish man but in a 1930 census, he did not speak english, but in 194, his son did. maybe leniency in learning the language could be held off, and in most cases is understood. there is no time limit in doing so, except for the wait in citizenship.
i guess, if you want o be american you speak english, afterall, it was the english that settled here in the first place....(plug for thanksgiving...bless you all, even the ones who dont agree in my thinking)

that is because americans tend to learn only one language. many advanced nations are bi or even tri-lingual. they are considered more highly educated because of this. why not provide higher education to our children and bridge cultural gaps all in one fell swoop? we can certainly lead by example, and it will not hurt anyone to communicate in spanish, as opposed to english. its all communication. people only oppose it when they dont want to learn it.

ok...you got me there..i wish i could speak spanish.really no joke.
i am learning, after 14 years in new mexico i have learned a little.enough to survive....i guess you could say.

[b]

i intend to help them by treating them like first class citizens. theres no reason why everyone else cant do the same.
illegal immigrants are NOT first class citizens in my eyes, they are human, and because i belive the way i do , i believe they should be treated as such.
we all bleed the same color, there is no question about this.
you say citizens .....that is not what an illegal is........some call you a troll on this forum, but i am unsure of that.
i get your sentiment...but do you understand what is exactly at stake?

Old 11-12-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
So first you said it's not that they don't want to put forth the effort, it's that they can't afford it. NOW, you say they CAN afford it, they just don't want to wait. Not wanting to wait is NOT a good enough excuse to break the law and cut in line in front of others obtaining citzenship legally. What, pray tell, will you come up with to back track on your self imposed contradiction now???????? MOD CUT
there are more than one kind of illegal immigrant. and i stand by what i said. some cant afford it. some can and dont want to wait. im not trying to justify either, but i do understand why they are doing it. that is why im advocating immigration reform. there is no real reason ive heard for the extreme costs or wait time to be mandated. and until i do, i will continue to advocate free and fast policies. that will remove all incentives for crossing illegally, and therefore solve the problem.

i dont get it though. do you not want illegal immigrants or do you not want immigrants, period?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration