U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:08 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Nobody has proposed making "Cinco de Mayo" a American holiday. Of course your delusional brain thinks so!
We celebrate St. Patrick's Day too which isn't a official holiday but I'm sure the Irish were the immigrant "scum" of their day.
We are talking about celebrating a culture in a hemisphere full of different people! Have a issue with "illegals"? back track that BS to Reagan who granted "amnesty" to millions of "illegals!

Reagan didn't have a "D" behind his name now!...did he?.....chirp chirp! crickets....
Uh; most of us "Irish" came to the US LEGALLY. Those of us who were fools got killed or at least tossed in jail and MANY of us paid for being stupid and drunk. You gotta understand we pretty much changed from the "Shanty Irish" to the "Lace Curtain Irish" starting about 100 years ago with JFK busting out our LAST glass ceiling to the top in the US in 1960.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:18 PM

31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Um, one of the posters did suggest that we make Cinco de Mayo a national holiday to honor the newly amnestied illegals and show our solidarity with them.

The difference between Cinco de Mayo and St. Patrick's day is that the former celebrates a war won and fought by Mexico. It is not a part of OUR history. The latter does not.

There is nothing we can do about the Reagan amnesty it is over and done with and it was a mistake and it matters not to me that he was a Republican or a Democrat. There is something we can still do about this latest amnesty proposal. We can stop it in its tracks. It isn't too late. I don't care if it is Obama or the Republicans that are proposing it. It is wrong either way. Any Repbublican who supports it will gain my wrath.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:03 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
But you are talking about going to Mexico legally not illegally. The scenario you painted doesn't include sneaking in...
You can enter Mexico, and stay in the border region, without ever needing to show documents. Only the interior (and there are areas, like Baja California, that are excluded from needing permits) requires a foreigner to have an FMM. Why are you talking about "sneaking in" when you can go into the interior for a week cost-free, and have no other document than the FMM?

Quote:
...You know it's fairly easy to get a tourist visa to come here also...
False, especially from Mexico. The rejection rate is probably about 95% for the B2 (visit for pleasure, which is the "Tourist Visa"), because the adjudicators suspect it more than a B1 (visit for business) or Border Crossing Card. You need to show proof of property ownership you will not abandon in Mexico, and fare for your return.

Quote:
...The illegals here aren't coming here to visit and spend their tourist money. They are coming here to take jobs and benefits. While here, they have baby after baby at our expense which then qualifies them for all means-tested benefits. This is a 100% a different scenario than the one you are putting forth.

Let's see Americans sneak into Mexico and work without permission and collect benefits for themselves and their families by the 10's of millions. Only then will any comparisons be accurate!
But I at least showed that your idea of "border security" in Mexico is different than what you are representing it as...

Old 04-30-2013, 08:06 PM

8,835 posts, read 8,966,941 times
Here's me celebrating Stinko de Mayo:

Old 04-30-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
You can enter Mexico, and stay in the border region, without ever needing to show documents. Only the interior (and there are areas, like Baja California, that are excluded from needing permits) requires a foreigner to have an FMM. Why are you talking about "sneaking in" when you can go into the interior for a week cost-free, and have no other document than the FMM?

False, especially from Mexico. The rejection rate is probably about 95% for the B2 (visit for pleasure, which is the "Tourist Visa"), because the adjudicators suspect it more than a B1 (visit for business) or Border Crossing Card. You need to show proof of property ownership you will not abandon in Mexico, and fare for your return.

But I at least showed that your idea of "border security" in Mexico is different than what you are representing it as...
Different or not they still do not have 11 milion plus illegals liviing in their country so they must be doing something right.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,112,973 times
Quote:
Different or not they still do not have 11 milion plus illegals liviing in their country so they must be doing something right.
Having your low skill jobs have extremely low pay and harsh conditions is probably the reason why Mexico isn't flooded with illegals if only our jobs paid $1 a day, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Why do I get the feeling that Oldglory's assumptions about Mexicans coming here and having 10 kids is out of date by at least 20 years?

Old 04-30-2013, 08:16 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
it is possible that people that have worked for decades for pennies on the dollar labor building us houses and fixing our plumbing and mowing our yards should be cut some slack. we used to have indentured servants from england. are mexican people any different? i know i am hard on illegals, and the people that hire them, which is just about everybody, but there is such a thing as justice. amnesty may be in order.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
it is possible that people that have worked for decades for pennies on the dollar labor building us houses and fixing our plumbing and mowing our yards should be cut some slack. we used to have indentured servants from england. are mexican people any different? i know i am hard on illegals, and the people that hire them, which is just about everybody, but there is such a thing as justice. amnesty may be in order.
They did all those jobs for their own economic gain and did it while being here illegally and cutting honest Americans out of jobs or reducing their wages and for this they deserve the gold medal? Not in my book they don't. I don't care if an illegal is from Europe or Mexico they need to go home not amnestied. Just about everybody hires illegals? Where are you getting that? Justice is making them leave and go back home. That's justice for law abiding, honest American of whom make up the majority in this country.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:39 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,291,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Having your low skill jobs have extremely low pay and harsh conditions is probably the reason why Mexico isn't flooded with illegals if only our jobs paid $1 a day, too

Why do I get the feeling that Oldglory's assumptions about Mexicans coming here and having 10 kids is out of date by at least 20 years?

You know me, and i respect your posts most of the time. TO a point and always keeping it real, he is right. Hispanic friends of ours who were born in this Country, do not have any more children they they can afford.

Ones who are here illeally, and yes i do know plenty, do have 5 and 6 children i know for fact, they cannot afford. They are living with realitives, about 15 in a household and sorry but that has not changed. I know many illegal hispanics in this Country living with realitives, it is quite the norm for hispanics to over populate a home together. I know at least 4 homes in one particular neighboorhood where this is happening.

It does still happen, maybe not to the extent it once was, but it is still happening, and sincerely, i have no reason to lie to you. If i felt it would actually do some good, i would make some calls on these people, but i have, and they have come back, so what is the point.

The homes are larger homes besides the point, get 15 people living in a home, and that is too many and at one time they had more then 15.

And keeping it real i do know hispanic young girls who at 15 are getting pregnant, why ask the parents.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:09 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,774,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Here's me celebrating Stinko de Mayo:
My sentiments as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration