U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2013, 07:56 AM
 
Location: CHicago, United States
6,936 posts, read 6,992,370 times
Reputation: 3487

Advertisements

There's been such an expression of broad-based public support for immigration reform, including for a 'path to citizenship', one could describe the support as an avalanche. Here are some recent polling results:

Quote:
Nearly 70 percent of Americans are in favor of letting illegal immigrants/undocumented workers stay in the country -- either by a path to citizenship or granting them permanent legal residents status, according to a recent Gallup poll.
Immigration Reform 2013 - Nearly 70% Americans Favor Path To Citizenship: Poll#

Quote:
Most Americans support creating a pathway to citizenship for immigrants who are working in this country illegally—and one with a shorter timeline than that contemplated by Congress, a new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll found.


Poll Finds Broad Immigration Support - WSJ.com

Quote:
A survey released on Thursday by the Brookings Institution and the Public Religion Research Institute shows that six in 10 Americans believe that undocumented immigrants should be given a path to citizenship. The survey showed that 63% of Americans favored a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants, while 21% favored deportation, and 14% favored “legal status,” but not citizenship.
Immigration Reform 2013: 6 in 10 Americans Favor "Pathway to Citizenship"

Quote:
An ABC News/Washington Post poll finds that nearly two-thirds of Americans, or 63 percent, support a program giving undocumented immigrants a path to legal status. That’s a sharp increase from a similar poll conducted in 2007, which shows a nearly even 49-to-46 percent split on the issue.
Immigration reform: public support for a path to citizenship at all-time high - CSMonitor.com

Quote:
As Congress tries to reach consensus on how to deal with border security and immigration reform, a new national poll indicates that more than eight in 10 Americans support an eventual pathway to citizenship for some undocumented workers.

According to a CNN/ORC International survey, 84% of the public backs a program that would allow undocumented workers to stay in the United States and apply for citizenship if they have been in the country for several years, have a job, and pay back taxes.
CNN Poll: Most see pathway to citizenship – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs


The strength of public support for immigration reform is the wind in the sails for the U.S. Senators and others who've proposed a comprehensive plan to deal with the thorny issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2013, 09:00 AM
 
31,500 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Reputation: 8366
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
There's been such an expression of broad-based public support for immigration reform, including for a 'path to citizenship', one could describe the support as an avalanche. Here are some recent polling results:



Immigration Reform 2013 - Nearly 70% Americans Favor Path To Citizenship: Poll#



Poll Finds Broad Immigration Support - WSJ.com



Immigration Reform 2013: 6 in 10 Americans Favor "Pathway to Citizenship"



Immigration reform: public support for a path to citizenship at all-time high - CSMonitor.com



CNN Poll: Most see pathway to citizenship – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs


The strength of public support for immigration reform is the wind in the sails for the U.S. Senators and others who've proposed a comprehensive plan to deal with the thorny issue.
Lol, mostly all economic/business or leftist opinion polls or religious organizations that are biased based on some misplaced compassion crap for the so-called down trodden. Keep trying though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 12:02 PM
 
Location: CHicago, United States
6,936 posts, read 6,992,370 times
Reputation: 3487
A summary of major public opinion polls:

Gallup:
69% of respondents said illegal immigrants should be allowed to stay and apply for citizenship

ABC/Washington Post:
64% of respondents said illegal immigrants should be allowed to stay and apply for citizenship

Associated Press:
63% of respondents said illegal immigrants should be allowed to stay and apply for citizenship

iMediaEthics:
55% of respondents said illegal immigrants should be allowed to stay and apply for citizenship

USA Today:
71% of respondents said illegal immigrants should be allowed to stay and apply for citizenship
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 12:26 PM
 
31,500 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Reputation: 8366
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
A summary of major public opinion polls:

Gallup:
69% of respondents said illegal immigrants should be allowed to stay and apply for citizenship

ABC/Washington Post:
64% of respondents said illegal immigrants should be allowed to stay and apply for citizenship

Associated Press:
63% of respondents said illegal immigrants should be allowed to stay and apply for citizenship

iMediaEthics:
55% of respondents said illegal immigrants should be allowed to stay and apply for citizenship

USA Today:
71% of respondents said illegal immigrants should be allowed to stay and apply for citizenship

No links to any of these polls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 12:37 PM
 
Location: North Texas
23,599 posts, read 31,161,722 times
Reputation: 26668
Meh. Shrug. Why should I go along with something because it's allegedly popular?

People are nuts for the Kardashians, Justin Bieber, and anything bacon-related. Doesn't mean I like those things either, or feel remotely compelled to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 12:41 PM
 
32 posts, read 41,674 times
Reputation: 28
The polls are flawed because they only allow a yes or no absolute answer. Yes, many of the illegals should be allowed to apply for legalization but only a small percentage of them should be approved. So how would I answer their poll?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socially Inept View Post
The polls are flawed because they only allow a yes or no absolute answer. Yes, many of the illegals should be allowed to apply for legalization but only a small percentage of them should be approved. So how would I answer their poll?
Why should they be allowed to stay and apply?
Can a foreign national who has never violated our laws come here and apply or must they do it from nation of origin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 01:44 PM
 
16,704 posts, read 8,643,559 times
Reputation: 4691
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Meh. Shrug. Why should I go along with something because it's allegedly popular?

People are nuts for the Kardashians, Justin Bieber, and anything bacon-related. Doesn't mean I like those things either, or feel remotely compelled to.
You forgot thousands of American teenage girls confessed love to the Boston Bomber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 02:24 PM
 
176 posts, read 219,180 times
Reputation: 323
interesting position of California governor Jerry Brown on immigration reform.

California governor urges faster immigration reform | Reuters

What do you think about his reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 69,904,378 times
Reputation: 27519
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetka_grunya View Post
interesting position of California governor Jerry Brown on immigration reform.

California governor urges faster immigration reform | Reuters

What do you think about his reasons?
Gee he's worried they will be excluded from the Fed welfare programs and CA will have to foot the bill for 11 years.
How caring of him.

Liberals.."Share the debt".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top