U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:33 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times

Advertisements

Places where Hispanics are populating at a very high pace is I guess angering Blacks. with the exception of Oakland-- I don't hear too much of it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 12:31 AM

635 posts, read 1,559,714 times
In response to the first poster, many illegal immigrants do make an effort to learn English. I have seen many ESL classes packed with "illegal/legal latinos" trying to learn English. I'm 100 percent forgiving, but I want you to realize that's a stereotypical low blow.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:39 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post

However, in the Bay Area I don't believe there are as .

I think California as a whole is the most diverse state in the U.S. If you find out about this feel free to correct me on it.
Interesting point---and I don't know--but would guess that California is probably the most ethnically-diverse state. Hawaii is certainly diverse, but I imagine has far fewer "groups" than California. Neither state now has any numerical majority of ANY race. New Mexico, with a small population, is relatively high in percentage of Hispanics---some Mexican immigrants, but many with centuries-old roots in the state..
By "diversity" some people may (mistakenly) mean "non-white" states. This isn't diversity, but probably in this regard the Deep South is heavily non-white, if not diverse.
Alaska is also somewhat diverse--tiny population overall, with relatively large proportion of Indian, Inuit, Filipino, and other groups.
Off the top of my head, I'd guess the "whitest" areas are the northern Great Plains (Dakotas, Nebraska, etc) but even here, some areas are high in Native American population...possibly upper New England is also pretty "white"..(?)
Perhaps someone can correct me. as well, if I'm wrong...

Old 11-01-2007, 11:50 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Places where Hispanics are populating at a very high pace is I guess angering Blacks. with the exception of Oakland-- I don't hear too much of it there.
THis is simply human nature. It's normal for any group to feel alarm and discomfort when another group "moves in". It's understandable. Most often in history, when this happens, violence and bloodshed have resulted. In our case, modern-day America, we're trying to adapt to it without the negative aspects. Some of us are being pretty "good sports" about it, while others (as seen on this forum) are having more problems getting used to the demographic changes. Rapid demographic change, though, NEVER goes unnoticed.

I recall years ago during an Afirmative Action tussle in the LA City government, there was a televised debate. Blacks, who have never been a huge part of the LA population, had occupied some city blue-collar departments as high as 50 or 60% of the total, and were now being dislplaced by Hispanic "new-hires", and were losing their numerical edge.
One frustrated black spokesman sputtered "These jobs are under the regulation of Affimative Action--and that was designed to be a Black Man's program"...OOPS!...bad choice of phrasing.

But you could sympathize with the man's sentiments. Hard-won positions for "his" group were being lost to the "new guys", and he was feeling upset. That's only human nature, and that's what we're all trying to rise above....

Old 11-01-2007, 11:56 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
Around here there are a lot of blacks who fought hard through desegregation and the civil rights movements to get great, repected teaching jobs. Now they are not being hired, being fired or held back because they cannot speak Spanish. Astounding!

And more than a little ironic..

Old 11-01-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Around here there are a lot of blacks who fought hard through desegregation and the civil rights movements to get great, repected teaching jobs. Now they are not being hired, being fired or held back because they cannot speak Spanish. Astounding!

A lot of places it is a requirement to Speak English. It just shows how Hispanic America is getting. Not necessarily bad.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:52 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
I guess it's not bad if it doesn't happen to you.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:52 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,967,537 times
Quote:

And affirmative action was always meant ONLY for African-Americans, to right past wrongs.

Blacks are the ones losing their jobs to illegals, as well - low-income blacks are the ones who are suffering the most in regards to employment.

Legal immigrants OK, but no special favors for hispanics - AA was only for blacks.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I guess it's not bad if it doesn't happen to you.

Wait so your saying a Hispanic America is bad?

Old 11-01-2007, 06:09 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,018,519 times
I live in Los Angeles, home to people from everywhere in the world. I also live in a low to moderate income area therein, so I'm surrounded by those people from everywhere in the world. I prefer to be friendly, and tend to get along with everyone. So far, by my direct observations here, the only foreign nationals that have:

-shot through the fence at my nice dogs
-almost killed my husband and numerous friends with their refusal to abide by American driving laws
-almost killed me and totalled my cars by their driving without licenses
-deliberately spat at me (a middle-aged woman) when when I walk by
-NEVER used a trash recepticle even if near one
-refuse to speak in English to others even if they know the language
-never acknowledged that every person within a five block radius may not want to have their windows rattling from stadium-worthy p.a. systems blasting 24/7
-never refrained from showing overt contempt for anyone not from their own "home country"
-refused to acknowledge much less abide by American laws, because they "got away with a biggie" by coming here illegally
-mobbed demonstrations to show how much they despise Americans and American laws
-have multi-generational gang-bangers
-accept misogyny as their endemic "cultural norm"
-consider gang-banging and vandalizing to be a rite of passage
-sneer that they love American money and hate Americans in general

are:
Quote:
Wait so your saying a Hispanic America is bad?
This is a sad indictment. I far prefer the America of national motto "E Pluribus Unum," not vice versa. We have worked too long and hard at equality for any one group to resurrect claims of "supremacy," be it La Raza or the Ku Klux Klan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or