Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 06:23 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times

Advertisements

MOD CUT

Well, I agree with the kid. I pay taxes. I work hard. I've lived in heavily-latino areas. I've lived in low-income neighborhoods. I've lived in white neighborhoods too. I've lived in rich communities.

I don't have a problem with illegals. I have a problem with the immigration system and the government, but I have no problem with the people. I think they belong here as much as I do, and it's idiocy to say that because they don't have a little plastic card, they don't belong.

I don't speak a word of Spanish, I don't know what the people around me are talking about half the time, but that's just fine with me. I just point and repeat until the person I'm talking to gets it, or they go get their kid/cousin/friend to translate.

Funny thing is, for the past five years I've lived in areas that were probably 95% latino, and I've experienced some crime.

-My roommate was robbed and then got stabbed when he fought back. The guy was white.
-Dude ripped off my bike, but I saw him riding it and "got" it back. White again.
-I constantly get bugged for money by the panhandlers and homeless guys in my neighborhoods. Guess what race they ALL are? Here's a hint: they tan easily and have light-colored hair.

I say it's weird, because what little crap I've experienced has come from my own race, and it's only about 5% of the general population in my neighborhoods. Not once did any hispanic, legal-or-illegal, give me any trouble.

Of course, maybe those of you in the 95% white neighborhoods can't relate.

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-31-2007 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: Trying to eliminate comments on other posters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 06:30 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Once again folks---I've been around a few decades. Illegal immigration, formerly not a real problem, has exploded in the past two decades or so. It certainly does affect the quality of life in the USA. It should be controlled and dealt with.

There are other things that also affect the quality of life in the US--such as

(1) The explosion of coarse and vulgar language in the media, music, and public events of all kinds-(and on T-shirts !)
(2) The breakdown of the family...
(3) The collapse of sexual morality...
(4) The loss of respect in the police, our lawmakers, and public figures of every type...
(5) The complete disconnect between American business and any sense of public duty...
(6) The sexualization of children at younger and younger ages, and the loss of their childhood innocence...
(7) The disintegation of a sense of community and neighborhood....
(8) The glamorization and celebration of affluent criminals, making them not pariahs but virtual folk heroes...
(9) The bad behavior, hatred, and vitriol expressed between political opponents..
(10) The complete abdication of most adults of any notion that they should be an "example" to children...
(11) The absolute terror engendered when anyone, in any controversy, threatens to play the "race card"...

Oh, and yes...excuse me...I almost forgot....
(12) Illegal Immigration..

Yep, you're right..there sure are a lot of things affecting America's quality of life....

Thanks for listening....

Old 10-31-2007, 06:42 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,950,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsmith View Post
Soo if it doesn't effect you, you don't care? What about rapists and murderers? So long as you or your family are not effected, do you still not care?

Again, only an assumptions on your part. You know its quite funny actually. Prior to coming onto these forums I have never heard of any illegal immigrant raping anyone. As for the murdering, it happened in 2003 at a local carrows. But it was an illegal immigrant on illegal immigrant murder. Again, not all illegals are murders and/or rapists. People just bring up these sort of stories and emotions to make cheap political points.

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-31-2007 at 09:23 PM..

Old 10-31-2007, 06:42 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,711,373 times
Everyone misses the point about Illegal Immigrants (PERIOD). There is no such thing! Immigrants are LEGAL (PERIOD). Everyone who is here in the USA that doesn't have the proper papers is Illegal and is a LAWBREAKER! and HAS NO RIGHT TO BE HERE! (PERIOD) If you want to come to this country and make a good living PLEASE WAIT YOUR TURN (PERIOD)

Illigal Aliens have no accountability for what they do. They dont play with the same rules Citizen's have to play by. I wish people would get this into your head! Where does all this nonsense come from? Is this what kids are taught in school these days?

Old 10-31-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
Everyone misses the point about Illegal Immigrants (PERIOD). There is no such thing! Immigrants are LEGAL (PERIOD). Everyone who is here in the USA that doesn't have the proper papers is Illegal and is a LAWBREAKER! and HAS NO RIGHT TO BE HERE! (PERIOD) If you want to come to this country and make a good living PLEASE WAIT YOUR TURN (PERIOD)

Illigal Aliens have no accountability for what they do. They dont play with the same rules Citizen's have to play by. I wish people would get this into your head! Where does all this nonsense come from? Is this what kids are taught in school these days?
I believe most of us on these forums are not kids, nor was illegal immigration a problem when most of us were kids.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:48 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,711,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Again, only an assumptions on your part. You know its quite funny actually. Prior to coming onto these forums I have never heard of any illegal immigrant raping anyone. As for the murdering, it happened in 2003 at a local carrows. But it was an illegal immigrant on illegal immigrant murder. Again, not all illegals are murders and/or rapists. People just bring up these sort of stories and emotions to make cheap political points.
Was the the one in Casto Valley? The dead girl behind the store? that was sad!

Old 10-31-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
Was the the one in Casto Valley? The dead girl behind the store? that was sad!
Correct, I am from there. It was truly sad indeed.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:01 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
On your opinion on degrading our way off life is an assumption. Illegals have never kept me/disturbed me in any way. And I live in a very Hispanic state.
just wait.

i have a hispanic (legal btw) friend who just got laid off b/c for the money he was making, his boss could hire 3 illegals to do the job. These illegals will mess up everyone's quality of life in one form or another if this problem aint corrected soon.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:14 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
just wait.

i have a hispanic (legal btw) friend who just got laid off b/c for the money he was making, his boss could hire 3 illegals to do the job. These illegals will mess up everyone's quality of life in one form or another if this problem aint corrected soon.

A two prong approach is needed. We need a FUNCTIONING enforcement agency that penalizes business owners who hire illegals HARSHLY through stiff fines that actually make it a disincentive to hire illegal labor.

Then we need to STOP accommodating illegals who come here not because they want to be American, as every other immigrant group traditionally has, but because they either a) Have "no other choice," or b) feel they're entitled to the land.

Illegals will self-deport, and cheap employers will start going through the PROPER channels to secure laborers when Americans "really can't" be found to do certain jobs. One poster here who owned a farm pretty much admitted the laws aren't followed because it's too hard and too expensive.

Well tough. EVERY profession has laws it must follow.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:17 PM

555 posts, read 2,211,852 times
I work around Hispanics with proper documentation and are here legally. Let me tell you this. They despise the illegal aliens, at least the ones I have spoken with. They played by the rules, waited their turn for a green card, and learned English. Now they are furious at any amnesty. To them, it is unfair. Why did they have to work so hard and play by the rules? They also are surprised as their income rises that they must pay taxes, yet no longer benefit from the welfare and medicaid because they have joined the millions of Americans living paycheck to paycheck but making to much for "freebies". See, it didn't pay them to play by the rules. The illegals can get free health care at the local emergency roon and they cannot. Don't tell me illegals don't affect our society!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration