U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2013, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 69,949,006 times
Reputation: 27520

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Panis View Post
20% of them have some college education. But what's 2 million people between anti-immigrant extremists?
20% of what ? And how do they get that number ? From the static 11 million that we have been hearing for over 10 years now ?

You're saying 20% of those that cross the border illegally have college degrees ?
Why would they come here and not be able to get high paying white collar job ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2013, 03:15 PM
 
Location: CHicago, United States
6,936 posts, read 6,999,480 times
Reputation: 3487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I say mandate e-verify across the board and that would include those already on the payroll, no benefits unless you are a U.S. citizen yourself (their kids can't be the qualifier) and changing birthright citizenship so that at least one parent is a citizen along with strict enforcement of all of the above.
I can support what you suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2013, 03:31 PM
 
31,700 posts, read 14,622,494 times
Reputation: 8451
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I can support what you suggest.
Good, but I don't want those things to be used as a bargaining tool to allow illegal immigrant to remain here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2013, 07:41 PM
 
Location: texas
9,138 posts, read 6,490,529 times
Reputation: 2372
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You spend a lot of time trying to make us believe that breaking our laws does not count. I wonder if your Professor Abraham would have the same opinion if half a dozen moved into his house?

By most estimates we have about 20 million legal Americans out of work. Many of the hardest hit are the unskilled legal immigrants and minorities. Dumping another 11 or 33 million workers into the competition is not going to help – regardless of what any professor comes up with. Perhaps if we were only “fast-tracking” economic professors he would see things differently?
if the point of the Professor is they[illegal aliens] are here and if change is going to happen, it already has...

So lets check the professor's theory...do you at this time believe that the professor has 1/2 dozen illegal aliens living with him at his home?

How bout you, do you have 6 ilegal aliens living with you presently? so according to the professor, that will not change.

Do you believe the Federal Government is going to make 6 illegal aliens to bunk with you at your home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2013, 08:07 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,304,914 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Panis View Post
20% of them have some college education. But what's 2 million people between anti-immigrant extremists?
Uh; college or no college, if a dude or lady is here illegally, deport it on the spot. I know OF a woman here illegally from Germany, if I knew where she was, I'd tip off ICE.

LEGAL aliens; what you call "immigrants", it's time to slow down their coming to the US for a few years too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2013, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
116 posts, read 91,386 times
Reputation: 15


According to Pew, majority of Americans agree with our economist; legalization won't have much of an effect on the economy. It's important to note that among those that do believe it will have an effect, those who think the effect will be good for the economy hold a slim advantage over those who say it will be bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2013, 08:23 PM
 
31,700 posts, read 14,622,494 times
Reputation: 8451
For the umpteenth time who is anti-"immigrant"? Will the spin and lies ever stop?

http://www.adversity.net/Terms_Defin...documented.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2013, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
116 posts, read 91,386 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
For the umpteenth time who is anti-"immigrant"? Will the spin and lies ever stop?

Definitions: Alien, Immigrant, Illegal Alien, Undocumented Immigrant
"For victims of reverse discrimination."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2013, 01:09 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,206 posts, read 10,607,078 times
Reputation: 9385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post

Do you believe the Federal Government is going to make 6 illegal aliens to bunk with you at your home?
This is not about our Federal Government forcing anybody to stay in anybody's house. It is about people that ignore our laws. If they can ignore our laws and break into our Country; they can ignore our laws and break into your house. After all; they are the ones deciding which laws are OK to break and which ones are not. I know that many are hard working – but legal, lard working, is the only thing that matters to me.

It is also about illegal immigrants that do not take responsibility for corrupting their young. If I took an eight year old son or daughter and robbed a bank – our national media and our Country would condemn me as and unfit parent. Illegal immigrants are not condemned – instead the legal citizens of our Country feel sorry for the poor kids and want to educate and feed them (ignoring the actions of the parents). Nobody is responsible for the unlawful actions – except the taxpayer has to pick up the bill.

We are now talking about taking military action in Syria. We are still involved in Afghanistan. The easiest way to protect our Country is to know who is in our Country and control immigration. It is senseless to send our young soldiers half way around the world and have an open border at home. It is also senseless to allow employers to hire anybody without running the names through the E-Verify system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2013, 06:29 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
116 posts, read 91,386 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
This is not about our Federal Government forcing anybody to stay in anybody's house. It is about people that ignore our laws. If they can ignore our laws and break into our Country; they can ignore our laws and break into your house. After all; they are the ones deciding which laws are OK to break and which ones are not. I know that many are hard working – but legal, lard working, is the only thing that matters to me.

It is also about illegal immigrants that do not take responsibility for corrupting their young. If I took an eight year old son or daughter and robbed a bank – our national media and our Country would condemn me as and unfit parent. Illegal immigrants are not condemned – instead the legal citizens of our Country feel sorry for the poor kids and want to educate and feed them (ignoring the actions of the parents). Nobody is responsible for the unlawful actions – except the taxpayer has to pick up the bill.

We are now talking about taking military action in Syria. We are still involved in Afghanistan. The easiest way to protect our Country is to know who is in our Country and control immigration. It is senseless to send our young soldiers half way around the world and have an open border at home. It is also senseless to allow employers to hire anybody without running the names through the E-Verify system.
Even though I advocate a pathway to Citizenship, I find your position to be very reasonable. If the legal immigration system was better, I'd have a lot less sympathy for the 11 million here, but I know how slow and unresponsive USCIS is, and how every immigrant is perceived as guilty (of being fraudulent) until proven innocent. I know that many people are effectively shut out because either there is no legal path for them to take, or the backlog is so long that they'd be dead by the time their application is processed.

That's why once these issues are corrected by immigration reform, I'd be all for enforcement. Ultimately good laws garner more support than bad ones. We had prohibition in America. There was rampant law breaking, and people would buck the government and secretly drink anyway. It was a bad law, and we changed it. We didn't feel the need to be punitive, and never let drinkers get right with society. The greatest and freest country on Earth shouldn't have a permanent underclass.

I don't think it should be a handout either. The House of Representatives floated the idea that the illegal aliens would have to turn themselves in and plead guilty to the crime of illegal entry before any leniency may be shown. I think that is punitive, but that's the law. If their family can be kept together, even if they have to face fines, a criminal record, and even some jail time, I think that's a fair price to pay for having broken the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top