U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 01:24 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Convicted felons are U.S. citizens. There is no law that once they have served their time that they can't drive. Illegals however don't even have a right to be in this country. What part of that aren't some getting?

Illegals should not and do not have the same rights as citizens. Their lives should be made as uncomfortable as possible. It is an incentive for them to go back home where they belong.

One's home is the one they hold citizenship in unless they are here legally.
But being able to have a driver's license is not reserved to just citizens in the United States...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 01:30 PM

31,488 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
But being able to have a driver's license is not reserved to just citizens in the United States...
Did I say they were? I am well aware that legal immigrants can obtain a DL also and that isn't the objection.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Did I say they were? I am well aware that legal immigrants can obtain a DL also and that isn't the objection.
So what "rights" are illegal aliens gaining by being able to get a driver's license?...

Old 05-01-2013, 05:12 PM

116 posts, read 91,279 times
Quote:
So what "rights" are illegal aliens gaining by being able to get a driver's license?...
You see once they get a license, they can blend in easier and not have to live in fear of ever going to the cops or the hospital, thereby elevating their standard of living to that of Americans, and that's obviously unacceptable. A crime as serious as trying to be with your family in violation of immigration quotas deserves total social and legal ostracization to the point where they are so miserable they will leave. Or kill themselves. Either way is fine, less illegals that way.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
You must be joking! The right to drive in our country while not even being authorized to be here. Why do you constantly defend them?

Old 05-01-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
You must be joking! The right to drive in our country while not even being authorized to be here. Why do you constantly defend them?
But people can drive here without necessarily having a U.S.-based license. I thought driving was "a privilege, not a right". You expressed it as some sort of "rights" that illegal aliens are gaining by having a driver's license.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:50 PM

3,186 posts, read 5,454,537 times
I was supportive of letting a select group of illegals get a legal drivers licence because they were raised here not by their choosing. When these people decided to march in the streets protesting just because these special licence didn't look exactly like mine I decided they didn't deserve any support. When someone gives you a very nice gift you DON'T complain just because the box it came in is not like everyone else s...It just shows their ignorance and contempt for us who are legal citizens.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
But people can drive here without necessarily having a U.S.-based license. I thought driving was "a privilege, not a right". You expressed it as some sort of "rights" that illegal aliens are gaining by having a driver's license.
Let's not mince words, shall we? You are comparing apples to oranges when someone is authorized to be in this country but has a foreign DL and those who are here illegally and driving on our roads or advocating for them to be able to drive on them. Is there anything you won't defend about illegal immigrants other than if they have committed a felony? Oh that's right using fake and/or stolen ID's is a felony also. Well that pretty much applies to most of them then.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:38 AM

116 posts, read 91,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
I was supportive of letting a select group of illegals get a legal drivers licence because they were raised here not by their choosing. When these people decided to march in the streets protesting just because these special licence didn't look exactly like mine I decided they didn't deserve any support. When someone gives you a very nice gift you DON'T complain just because the box it came in is not like everyone else s...It just shows their ignorance and contempt for us who are legal citizens.
Crestliner, a "special" license is a yellow armband. It just opens the door up for discrimination against them when they present that special license since people immediately know their circumstances. I don't see how any protesters are contemptuous about Americans. The whole premise is that these people are or want to be Americans, I consider that holding us in the highest regard.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:51 AM

10,946 posts, read 7,977,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Panis View Post
Touche. What is the basis for denying them this privilege? Immigration has little to do with driving. Seems like a punitive measure to make their lives miserable.
How about being able to read and understand road signs and the traffic laws where they are driving?

Could be quite dangerous, especially since most of these drivers would not have insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration