U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 08:54 AM

10,946 posts, read 8,015,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
But being able to have a driver's license is not reserved to just citizens in the United States...
But it is/should be reserved to those here legally. Any others are proven scofflaws and show no respect for any but themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Panis View Post
Crestliner, a "special" license is a yellow armband. It just opens the door up for discrimination against them when they present that special license since people immediately know their circumstances. I don't see how any protesters are contemptuous about Americans. The whole premise is that these people are or want to be Americans, I consider that holding us in the highest regard.
So much naivety on display there. These illegals do not want to be citizens or they would have followed well laid out paths to come here legally. They are called illegal for a reason and those like you want to give criminals special dispensation to break what laws they do not want to follow.

Take off the "I hate Americans" glasses. Time to do as your oh so precious illegals do, think of yourself first without regard to anything else.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:04 AM

116 posts, read 91,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
But it is/should be reserved to those here legally. Any others are proven scofflaws and show no respect for any but themselves.
What do you base this on?

Old 05-02-2013, 09:31 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,031,386 times
Quote:
How about being able to read and understand road signs and the traffic laws where they are driving?

Could be quite dangerous, especially since most of these drivers would not have insurance.
Isn't that the whole premise for getting a potential driver licensed and insured?...

Old 05-02-2013, 09:34 AM

35,121 posts, read 38,108,127 times
Quote:
I don't see any reason to deny them the right to drive. Yea they violated a law, but that law has nothing to do with driving. We let convicted felons drive don't we?

I don't know what kind of human being it takes to think it's a moral thing to do to make people live in fear when all they want is to be able have the same civil rights the rest of us have.

So all they have to do is come to this country LEGALLY to get the same civil rights that those of us who were either born here or came here LEGALLY have.

The concept is very simple, come to whatever country you choose LEGALLY and attain the rights that everyone else has who is in that country LEGALLY.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Isn't that the whole premise for getting a potential driver licensed and insured?...
Which is what a large percentage of the illegals do not do.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
What do you base this on?
How about observance of the law? To tough of a standard for you?

Old 05-02-2013, 09:46 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,031,386 times
Quote:
Which is what a large percentage of the illegals do not do.
We seem to be in some circular pattern:

"Illegals don't get licenses and insurance!"

"Why should we let them get driver's licenses if they are here illegally?"

Old 05-02-2013, 10:17 AM

23,641 posts, read 31,358,985 times
Honestly, for me the issue is not with them driving. If they are safe drivers and are properly insured (which they often aren't), then them driving a car isn't the issue.

The issue is that since we lack a national identity card, the only form of picture ID that most people have is a state-issued driver's license. It is a de facto 'national' identity card that does not distinguish between citizens, LPRs, and illegal aliens. Having one makes you more 'documented' than not having one. Having one allows you to gain a toehold where you shouldn't be able to if you're not here legally.

We need a real national ID card with stringent identification standards and stored biometric information (fingerprints) that only citizens may possess. Not even LPRs. This ID should be the only acceptable form of identification to access privileges/services where US citizenship is a pre-requisite.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:00 PM

32,027 posts, read 14,783,562 times
I guess I should feel flattered if someone broke into my house and took up residence there without my permission because they like my house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration