U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 09:11 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Panis View Post
That's recent, but not as recent as the poll conducted this week. It also doesn't track sentiment on specific policy proposal. I want free ponies and sportscars, but I couldn't point to a piece of legislation that realistically creates a policy to deliver that. It would seem that Americans have learned to seek good solutions instead of perfect or ideal ones. Or I should say, most Americans have.
As I previously stated, I have been unable to find even ONE person who supports amnesty for illegal aliens. In fact, the only place I encounter pro-illegals is on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 09:37 AM

2,543 posts, read 1,776,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The polls I have seen that are left biased are no more scientific than those posted by the right. The poll I posted was from Rueters not Rasmussen. You know it depends on how the questions are asked also as to what the responses will be. Many times questions are asked in a way to get a "desired" response.
I am not going to go into detail to explain the difference between a scientific poll and an internet poll. Do your own research. One stark example back in 2008, an AOL online poll showed McCain winning all 50 states. Well gee, I guess there were more Republicans that took the time to answer the survey then Democrats.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:03 AM

31,460 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
When you repeat inaccurate statements about public sentiment doing so doesn't change the fact ... that they're still inaccurate.
What makes you think your stats/polls are anymore accurate or inaccurate than mine? When I say most Republicans don't support this I would say that is pretty accurrate.

From the link to the poll I provided:

75% of Republicans think that illegals should be deported.

Last edited by Oldglory; 05-02-2013 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-02-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I am not going to go into detail to explain the difference between a scientific poll and an internet poll. Do your own research. One stark example back in 2008, an AOL online poll showed McCain winning all 50 states. Well gee, I guess there were more Republicans that took the time to answer the survey then Democrats.
The Rueters poll I provided was not an internet poll. In fact Rueters from what I have read about their organization are pretty liberal on a lot of issues.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The Rueters poll I provided was not an internet poll. In fact Rueters from what I have read about their organization are pretty liberal on a lot of issues.

From your link;
The online survey shows resistance to easing immigration laws despite the biggest push for reform in Congress since 2007.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
From your link;
The online survey shows resistance to easing immigration laws despite the biggest push for reform in Congress since 2007.
Missed that. Thanks for the update. However, no matter what kind of a poll it is questions are asked from a broad base of people. I fail to see what the difference is between a so-called scientific poll, an online survey or a telephone survey. The bottom line is how the questions are presented.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:27 AM

405 posts, read 358,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
When you repeat inaccurate statements about public sentiment doing so doesn't change the fact ... that they're still inaccurate.
Why are all the comments following stories about illegals, including this one

May Day marchers call for end to deportations - chicagotribune.com

almost unanimously against legalization if there's a "waterfall" of support? And this story is very sympathetic to the illegals. You can take your poll and shove it up your...

Old 05-02-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Man, you keep bringing up that non-scientific online voluntary poll. Even the right wing Rasmussen poll shows different then that, LOL.

Then please explain what a scientific poll is and how it differs from any other poll.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:24 AM

Scientific polling is done by phone, here is a good explanation;

Representativity is the single most important aspect of a scientific poll. The makeup of the poll should as much as possible reflect the makeup of the population. If African Americans make up 14% of the national population, then they should make up 14% of a national poll’s sample. If the population is 51% female, then so too should be the sample. Pollsters will actually weight the responses given by different demographic groups in order to to bring them into line with the proportions laid out in census data. The results of any poll, no matter how random the sample, are necessarily massaged in order to give the right data.

Participants in online polling are based on those that read particular websites and wish to volunteer to answer the questions. There is no certainty on race, geography or ideology of those that participate.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Scientific polling is done by phone, here is a good explanation;

Representativity is the single most important aspect of a scientific poll. The makeup of the poll should as much as possible reflect the makeup of the population. If African Americans make up 14% of the national population, then they should make up 14% of a national poll’s sample. If the population is 51% female, then so too should be the sample. Pollsters will actually weight the responses given by different demographic groups in order to to bring them into line with the proportions laid out in census data. The results of any poll, no matter how random the sample, are necessarily massaged in order to give the right data.

Participants in online polling are based on those that read particular websites and wish to volunteer to answer the questions. There is no certainty on race, geography or ideology of those that participate.
The thing is though with internet polls and I posted one that was on the main page of MSN a couple months back is that everyone has the opportunity to respond. Most people have computers. That one showed overwhelming rejection to illegal immigration and allowing illegals to remain here. If someone is so adamant as it is claimed about the majority of Americans supporting this instead it makes no sense to me that the responses where quite the opposite. The questions were very straight forward not any filled with if, ands, butts or maybies. I had saved that poll but my computer crashed about a month ago and it was lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or