U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2013, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
116 posts, read 91,463 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Both are technically wrong. They do have documents, just not the right ones. Also, they aren't illegal, since actions, and not people are illegal. Illegal immigration is the proper term for the action, but contracting it to illegal immigrant isn't, since illegal is not a valid adjective in that case. Also, they aren't always immigrants. Not every foreigner in the country is an immigrant after all, they don't intend to settle. And they aren't all workers either.

One term comes very close to being accurate: unlawfully present aliens. This would be perfect, if it weren't for the fact there are lawfully present people who also shouldn't be here since they are out of status. So all things considered, the most accurate term would be aliens either unlawfully present or out of status. But that's a mouthful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2013, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Redneckistan
11,102 posts, read 12,817,298 times
Reputation: 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Not really. Only 10 million Hispanics voted in the last election. Most of them will always vote Democrat no matter which side of the aisle caves into their demands to give their ethnic group a pass on our immigration laws. I hope the GOP keeps that in mind.
The GOP never keeps anything in mind except abortion and gays..they are not going to disappoint their big money contributors that get rich off of slave wage labor any more than the dems are going to..welcome to the real world of politics,not what FAUX or MSNBC reports

Btw..where did the figure you quoted originate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2013, 08:08 PM
 
31,806 posts, read 14,654,154 times
Reputation: 8478
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
The GOP never keeps anything in mind except abortion and gays..they are not going to disappoint their big money contributors that get rich off of slave wage labor any more than the dems are going to..welcome to the real world of politics,not what FAUX or MSNBC reports

Btw..where did the figure you quoted originate?
I'll try to locate it again fo you. Don't have it saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2013, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Redneckistan
11,102 posts, read 12,817,298 times
Reputation: 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'll try to locate it again fo you. Don't have it saved.
No sweat..it just seemed like an awfully low number is all and I would have guessed much,much higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2013, 09:30 AM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
10,946 posts, read 7,988,809 times
Reputation: 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Panis View Post
Both are technically wrong. They do have documents, just not the right ones. Also, they aren't illegal, since actions, and not people are illegal. Illegal immigration is the proper term for the action, but contracting it to illegal immigrant isn't, since illegal is not a valid adjective in that case. Also, they aren't always immigrants. Not every foreigner in the country is an immigrant after all, they don't intend to settle. And they aren't all workers either.

One term comes very close to being accurate: unlawfully present aliens. This would be perfect, if it weren't for the fact there are lawfully present people who also shouldn't be here since they are out of status. So all things considered, the most accurate term would be aliens either unlawfully present or out of status. But that's a mouthful.
^
Another attempt at the PC changing of the definition of what is in fact illegal aliens.

They are here unlawfully, so of course the liberal mind does not want to offend them by pointing it out or enforcing existing laws.

Can't do that! At least according to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2013, 09:42 AM
 
31,806 posts, read 14,654,154 times
Reputation: 8478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
^
Another attempt at the PC changing of the definition of what is in fact illegal aliens.

They are here unlawfully, so of course the liberal mind does not want to offend them by pointing it out or enforcing existing laws.

Can't do that! At least according to them.
Illegal can be used as an adjective to describe a particular type of alien and it is the term used in immigration law. Those that don't like it....tough!

In the dictionary the word illegal is even being shown used as an adjective.

il·le·gal

/ɪˈligəl/ Show Spelled [ih-lee-guhl] Show IPA
adjective 1. forbidden by law or statute.

2. contrary to or forbidden by official rules, regulations, etc.: The referee ruled that it was an illegal forward pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2013, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
116 posts, read 91,463 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Illegal can be used as an adjective to describe a particular type of alien and it is the term used in immigration law. Those that don't like it....tough!

In the dictionary the word illegal is even being shown used as an adjective.

il·le·gal

/ɪˈligəl/ Show Spelled [ih-lee-guhl] Show IPA
adjective 1. forbidden by law or statute.

2. contrary to or forbidden by official rules, regulations, etc.: The referee ruled that it was an illegal forward pass.
No one is disputing illegal is an adjective, glory. Applying it to a person seems a little insensitive to me. Blame the Christian "hate the sin, not the sinner" mentality if you will.

Going by the dictionary definition,

You wouldn't say a person was forbidden by law or statute PERIOD. That makes no sense. Forbidden from what action? See what I mean? You could say entering outside a port of entry is forbidden by law or statute. It sounds a lot more natural when it describes an action.

Illegal alien is a very unfortunate term. It just rubs me the wrong way to describe an individual as illegal. Undocumented worker isn't better either, it's actually more inaccurate since they are not always undocumented or workers. See, I'm being reasonable, disagreeing with the "liberal" term as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2013, 08:55 AM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
10,946 posts, read 7,988,809 times
Reputation: 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Panis View Post
No one is disputing illegal is an adjective, glory. Applying it to a person seems a little insensitive to me. Blame the Christian "hate the sin, not the sinner" mentality if you will.

Going by the dictionary definition,

You wouldn't say a person was forbidden by law or statute PERIOD. That makes no sense. Forbidden from what action? See what I mean? You could say entering outside a port of entry is forbidden by law or statute. It sounds a lot more natural when it describes an action.

Illegal alien is a very unfortunate term. It just rubs me the wrong way to describe an individual as illegal. Undocumented worker isn't better either, it's actually more inaccurate since they are not always undocumented or workers. See, I'm being reasonable, disagreeing with the "liberal" term as well.
No one is so blind as he will not see.

Legality is not an opinion, it is a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top