U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 05:38 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,015,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I didn't know I was obligated to do that. It seemed kind of a silly topic to me but here goes. My ancestors were blue-collared tradesmen so no they probably wouldn't be able to migrate here today because we don't need to import any more blue-collared workers. Many of our own are unemployed right now.

We needed them back then. We don't need them today.
The first question was whether you would be able to legal immigrate yourself based on current immigration law (and assuming no marriage to a U.S. citizen). This is where that "favoritism" or "large quotas" may come into play. I'm interested to hear the answer.

My answer might change on a technicality of how the question was stated: I am married to a Legal Permanent Resident, not an "American". She would be able to sponsor me as a spouse.

Thanks Honey, I feel like I won the jackpot!...

Old 05-03-2013, 05:47 PM

15,535 posts, read 29,266,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Would you yourself be able to immigrate to the U.S. if you had the exact same job, exact same qualifications, and exact same background as you do now, but you're in Germany or the UK. Assume that you do not have any relatives (including spouse) who are American.

Would your ancestors who came legally to the U.S. without breaking a single law (unlike the illegal immigrant scum of today), be able to immigrate to the U.S. under today's immigration law and immigration process?

Assume that you and your ancestors are willing to wait in whatever line it takes and willing to fill out whatever forms and paperwork needed.

Whether or not you think this question is irrelevant because the situation has changed, answer yes or no to both questions. Whether or not you think nobody has a right to be in America, answer the questions.
My grandfather came from Italy around the turn of the 20th century. He worked in the coal mines. He worked hard during the WWI to help supply the coal that fueled the huge boilers and other equipment that our military used to defend our country.

You cannot compare that with people who pluck chickens.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-03-2013, 05:50 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,136,036 times
My ancestors were handed over to the US. So, I suppose we technically did not emigrate

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 05-03-2013 at 06:02 PM..

Old 05-03-2013, 05:59 PM

939 posts, read 1,198,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I didn't know I was obligated to do that. It seemed kind of a silly topic to me but here goes. My ancestors were blue-collared tradesmen so no they probably wouldn't be able to migrate here today because we don't need to import any more blue-collared workers. Many of our own are unemployed right now.

We needed them back then. We don't need them today.
Thank you for your answer, even if you thought it was a silly topic

Old 05-03-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My grandfather came from Italy around the turn of the 20th century. He worked in the coal mines. He worked hard during the WWI to help supply the coal that fueled the huge boilers and other equipment that our military used to defend our country.

You cannot compare that with people who pluck chickens.

20yrsinBranson
You didn't answer the question. Unfortunately, being hard-working in a dangerous occupation is not one of the listed criteria for gaining legal status in the U.S. Would your grandfather have been able to enter the U.S. under today's immigration laws and process?

Old 05-03-2013, 06:50 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,923,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The first question was whether you would be able to legal immigrate yourself based on current immigration law (and assuming no marriage to a U.S. citizen). This is where that "favoritism" or "large quotas" may come into play. I'm interested to hear the answer.

My answer might change on a technicality of how the question was stated: I am married to a Legal Permanent Resident, not an "American". She would be able to sponsor me as a spouse.

Thanks Honey, I feel like I won the jackpot!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Panis View Post
America is indisputably richer now than it was back then. The real reason is that immigrants in 1913 were white Europeans, and immigrants in 2013 are Hispanics and Asians. No one likes to admit this but that's the truth. That's why the laws are stricter now, and all this baloney about "overpopulation."
Much truth to this.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:56 PM

15,535 posts, read 29,266,824 times
Quote:
You didn't answer the question. Unfortunately, being hard-working in a dangerous occupation is not one of the listed criteria for gaining legal status in the U.S. Would your grandfather have been able to enter the U.S. under today's immigration laws and process?
I'm not an expert on immigration laws, sorry. I don't know.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-05-2013, 01:29 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,308,923 times
Quote:
Would you yourself be able to immigrate to the U.S. if you had the exact same job, exact same qualifications, and exact same background as you do now, but you're in Germany or the UK. Assume that you do not have any relatives (including spouse) who are American.

Would your ancestors who came legally to the U.S. without breaking a single law (unlike the illegal immigrant scum of today), be able to immigrate to the U.S. under today's immigration law and immigration process?

Assume that you and your ancestors are willing to wait in whatever line it takes and willing to fill out whatever forms and paperwork needed.

Whether or not you think this question is irrelevant because the situation has changed, answer yes or no to both questions. Whether or not you think nobody has a right to be in America, answer the questions.
My ancestors on my fathers side came into Virginia and later Kentucky from Ulster in the 1750s. They helped build this country. Likewise for my mothers English ancestors who came in the 1730s.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
My ancestors on my fathers side came into Virginia and later Kentucky from Ulster in the 1750s. They helped build this country. Likewise for my mothers English ancestors who came in the 1730s.
Can you answer the question in the thread title?

Old 05-05-2013, 05:03 PM

1,859 posts, read 1,961,273 times
Quote:

Why is it you feel entitled? This was a European colony. Immigrants who came here had to obey the immigration laws (some Italians did bipass laws around WWI, but in no where near the numbers many immigrants ignore our laws today). Also, there were NO SUBSIDIES! As in no welfare, AFDC benefits, no refugee benefits, no food stamps/SNAP, No sec8 housing, no housing vouchers, no WIC programs, no heating assistance, no free school lunch programs, no free medical care, no affirmative action, no ESL classes, no translators, no laws protecting them. Some immigrants love to say they love this country, but how much would they love it, if they couldn't receive any benefits? If all they could find was a minimum wage job at best that would not allow them enough money to live.

Regardless how much American citizens want our immigration laws enforced, it seems the (Illegal & legal) immigration advocates always get there way, regardless of how bad our economy is.

Our country is now boasting the third largest population in the world. It has grown by 70 million people since 1990, with no end in site. Our nation many years ago was the industrial powerhouse of the entire world, it is no longer. We no longer need unskilled workers, they people are no longer an asset, but a liability. We have many competent Americans denied acceptance to many of our nations colleges, in lieu of allowing a foreign student in his/her place only for the sake of opportunity foreign students and diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration