Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 10:28 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Would you yourself be able to immigrate to the U.S. if you had the exact same job, exact same qualifications, and exact same background as you do now, but you're in Germany or the UK. Assume that you do not have any relatives (including spouse) who are American.

Would your ancestors who came legally to the U.S. without breaking a single law (unlike the illegal immigrant scum of today), be able to immigrate to the U.S. under today's immigration law and immigration process?

Assume that you and your ancestors are willing to wait in whatever line it takes and willing to fill out whatever forms and paperwork needed.

Whether or not you think this question is irrelevant because the situation has changed, answer yes or no to both questions. Whether or not you think nobody has a right to be in America, answer the questions.

Yes and Yes. My Dad's family came in the 1640's and Mom's family came in the 1650's. And they would meet even today's requirements completely.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:30 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Why is it you feel entitled? This was a European colony. Immigrants who came here had to obey the immigration laws (some Italians did bipass laws around WWI, but in no where near the numbers many immigrants ignore our laws today). Also, there were NO SUBSIDIES! As in no welfare, AFDC benefits, no refugee benefits, no food stamps/SNAP, No sec8 housing, no housing vouchers, no WIC programs, no heating assistance, no free school lunch programs, no free medical care, no affirmative action, no ESL classes, no translators, no laws protecting them. Some immigrants love to say they love this country, but how much would they love it, if they couldn't receive any benefits? If all they could find was a minimum wage job at best that would not allow them enough money to live.

Regardless how much American citizens want our immigration laws enforced, it seems the (Illegal & legal) immigration advocates always get there way, regardless of how bad our economy is.

Our country is now boasting the third largest population in the world. It has grown by 70 million people since 1990, with no end in site. Our nation many years ago was the industrial powerhouse of the entire world, it is no longer. We no longer need unskilled workers, they people are no longer an asset, but a liability. We have many competent Americans denied acceptance to many of our nations colleges, in lieu of allowing a foreign student in his/her place only for the sake of opportunity foreign students and diversity.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:07 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
As the thread continues it seems I have to remind some of you: this is a forum, forums have threads. Threads are about specific things, usually spelled out in the title. If you come to a thread and want to post, at least try being on topic. posting general rants/remarks not really related to the very specific topic of the thread, here a clearly asked question, can be considered an attempt to hijack a thread or an attempt to troll.
You really don't have to post in a thread when you cannot contribute to the actual topic of the conversation.
Yac.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:54 AM

938 posts, read 1,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Yes and Yes. My Dad's family came in the 1640's and Mom's family came in the 1650's. And they would meet even today's requirements completely.
Were they refugees? Or from a country where so few immigrants were coming from that they would be likely to win the Diversity Lottery? Or would they have been able to prove that no Americans were around who could fill the job that they were working at? Or did they have such an extraordinary ability in their occupation that they could bypass this "labor certification" step? or perhaps they could prove to the government that there would be a "national interest" in them, specifically your family, coming over? Which kind of green card would they have been eligible for? Same goes for you. Which green card category would you qualify for?

Old 05-06-2013, 10:19 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Would you yourself be able to immigrate to the U.S. if you had the exact same job, exact same qualifications, and exact same background as you do now, but you're in Germany or the UK. Assume that you do not have any relatives (including spouse) who are American.

Would your ancestors who came legally to the U.S. without breaking a single law (unlike the illegal immigrant scum of today), be able to immigrate to the U.S. under today's immigration law and immigration process?

Assume that you and your ancestors are willing to wait in whatever line it takes and willing to fill out whatever forms and paperwork needed.

Whether or not you think this question is irrelevant because the situation has changed, answer yes or no to both questions. Whether or not you think nobody has a right to be in America, answer the questions.
Who cares about what happened 200-300 years ago? Ancestors back then could own slaves --- so what ancestors did or didn't do isn't useful.

Lots of legal immigrants do the same kind of job I'm doing, so yes, I think I could get a work visa. Lots of my co-workers are here on work visas.

It's a myth that legal immigrants coming on work visas have to have IQs over 200 -- many are just average people with average skills.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:03 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
At a rate of over 1 million immigrants per year I would say that immigration is possible. The fact that the needs of a nation should drive its immigration policies elude many on both sides of the issue. The ease to enter 100 years ago has no bearing on how we should select immigrants today.
What should never change is that we should never reward illegal behavior. We should never reward a cheat. If a prospective immigrants first statement is to violate our laws without having even tried to enter legally I submit that is an immigrant we don't want or need.
As a nation we may be more wealthy than we were 100 years ago and if we want to stay that way we need to be selective in who we allow to enter. No different than who we would allow to enter our homes or live in our homes. Should someone be granted ownership of your garage because they squatted on your property?
If someone uses your car illegally for a period of time should they be granted ownership?
Should our enforcement policies be determined based on policies of 100 years ago?
100 years ago it took a week or more to cross the Atlantic. Should we end air travel so that we are the same as before?
We allowed many things in the past due to different needs. We should not redefine our policies based on the past, nor should they be based on the needs of the violators.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:11 PM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
At a rate of over 1 million immigrants per year I would say that immigration is possible. The fact that the needs of a nation should drive its immigration policies elude many on both sides of the issue. The ease to enter 100 years ago has no bearing on how we should select immigrants today.
What should never change is that we should never reward illegal behavior. We should never reward a cheat. If a prospective immigrants first statement is to violate our laws without having even tried to enter legally I submit that is an immigrant we don't want or need.
As a nation we may be more wealthy than we were 100 years ago and if we want to stay that way we need to be selective in who we allow to enter. No different than who we would allow to enter our homes or live in our homes. Should someone be granted ownership of your garage because they squatted on your property?
If someone uses your car illegally for a period of time should they be granted ownership?
Should our enforcement policies be determined based on policies of 100 years ago?
100 years ago it took a week or more to cross the Atlantic. Should we end air travel so that we are the same as before?
We allowed many things in the past due to different needs. We should not redefine our policies based on the past, nor should they be based on the needs of the violators.
Couldn't agree more. There are more immigrants that want to come here than we can accomodate in jobs and resources. Most of those that would be rejected if they did try to come legally are the uneducated, poor and unskilled. They would end up being a financial burden to our country. They just have to accept those facts and stop coming here illegally anyway. They don't seem to care about the negative impact they will have on our own citizens by doing so.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:18 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Let's see:

My American Indian ancestors were already here when the country was formed.
My English cousin helped finance the first American colony before this country was formed.
My German ancestors have been here for centuries.
My Scotch-Irish ancestors have been here for centuries.

Why should I be worrying about whether they could immigrate here now? We built this country and are paying the bills for the rest of you now. Who are you to be asking me a question like this now?

Old 05-08-2013, 07:02 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Let's see:

My American Indian ancestors were already here when the country was formed.
My English cousin helped finance the first American colony before this country was formed.
My German ancestors have been here for centuries.
My Scotch-Irish ancestors have been here for centuries.
You just spouted some facts that nobody asked for. Who cares who your ancestors were? Would those ancestors who originally came from England, Scotland, Ireland, and Germany have been able to come if they had to immigrate under today's rules and process? I said, even if you think the question is irrelevant, please answer the question.

"We built this country" - who's "we"? If they were so great, would they be able to immigrate under today's rules? Would they have been able come to build this country or would they probably have died in some ethnic or religious war in Europe?

Old 05-08-2013, 07:16 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,342 times
Quote:
Only as a non-immigrant or through the VWP for which I would have to apply for change-of-status to immigrant.

Quote:
How far back are you going for ancestors? It would depend on which ancestors, recent or first here, some would have, some wouldn't have.

Quote:
VWP, there is no line or forms to file.

Quote:
Your questions are a little to open to actually answer with a yes or no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration