U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-07-2013, 08:55 AM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
10,584 posts, read 7,967,483 times
Reputation: 4146

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
yet when it comes to the obscene number of legal immigrants we admit,
How many legal immigrants do we admit? Doesn't make much sense to talk about how "obscene" it is when you don't even know the number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2013, 01:46 AM
 
Location: West Los Angeles
8,835 posts, read 8,966,941 times
Reputation: 9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
How many legal immigrants do we admit? Doesn't make much sense to talk about how "obscene" it is when you don't even know the number.
Way too many, given the number of Americans who are unemployed or underemployed. BTW, I do believe the number, including H-1B and other visa admitees is roughly 1.5 million. And furthermore, the U.S. admits more immigrants per year than all other countries combined.

Did you think I do not know these things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2013, 07:20 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
The USA has by far more legal immigrants than any other nation on the planet. Most legal immigrants are from family sponsorship and the requirements are very few. The sponsor isn't even required to provide his/her immigrants with a health insurance plan or retirement plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2013, 06:15 PM
 
31,498 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8358
Just as I suspected and predicted in here Cruz is not opposed to "immigration reform" aka amnesty. After listening to him on the Senate floor today he showed his true colors. He is opposed to a path to citizenship but's that all (and we all know that's because if they became citizens they would vote Democrat). He still wants them legalized and to be able to remain here and so he is just another Neocon panderer in my book. Don't be fooled again by these wolves in sheep's clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2013, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Cape Coral
5,478 posts, read 5,867,272 times
Reputation: 2189
The problem with the path to citizenship is that the 13 million illegals will be legal in 13 years, That is like we are changing the current quota of 300,000 Mexicans allowed to come here legally per year to 1.3 million a year. (the 300,00 still are coming in legally too)
Does anyone think that the majority of Americans are in favor of that? Trade unions aren't. Blacks that are looking for work aren't. Conservatives aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2013, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Cape Coral
5,478 posts, read 5,867,272 times
Reputation: 2189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Just as I suspected and predicted in here Cruz is not opposed to "immigration reform" aka amnesty. After listening to him on the Senate floor today he showed his true colors. He is opposed to a path to citizenship but's that all (and we all know that's because if they became citizens they would vote Democrat). He still wants them legalized and to be able to remain here and so he is just another Neocon panderer in my book. Don't be fooled again by these wolves in sheep's clothing.
Do you really think the illegals are going to be rounded up and sent packing? At least if they got in the back of the line and only 300,000 a year were made legal after they passed the current qualifications, and the borders were closed, we would have something. This current law being pushed is BS. Politicians on both sides are pandering to the Latino vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2013, 07:32 PM
 
31,498 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8358
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Do you really think the illegals are going to be rounded up and sent packing? At least if they got in the back of the line and only 300,000 a year were made legal after they passed the current qualifications, and the borders were closed, we would have something. This current law being pushed is BS. Politicians on both sides are pandering to the Latino vote.
They could be but our government lacks the will. What needs to happen is to remove all incentives for them to remain here like jobs, benefits and birthright citizenship. Our government lacks the will to make that happen also. None of the so-called qualifications will be enforced either. Senator Grassley explained that well today.

The line starts back in an immigrant's country, not here. You're right, it's all about the Latino vote and cheap labor. Law abiding Americans don't count anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2013, 11:39 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,075 posts, read 1,774,015 times
Reputation: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
They could be but our government lacks the will. What needs to happen is to remove all incentives for them to remain here like jobs, benefits and birthright citizenship. Our government lacks the will to make that happen also. None of the so-called qualifications will be enforced either. Senator Grassley explained that well today.

The line starts back in an immigrant's country, not here. You're right, it's all about the Latino vote and cheap labor. Law abiding Americans don't count anymore.
Add all that to the fact that they are massing in the border towns (to run the border before amnesty) and
the problem multiples significantly. What needs to happen isn't in Obozo's plan. He's interested in the destruction of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 12:06 AM
 
Location: Eastern Missouri
3,054 posts, read 5,029,987 times
Reputation: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Panis View Post
Cruz has some interesting points to make, which I agreed with but ofcourse I disagree with his anti-legalization position. He wants to make the bill tougher, great, amend it. But bill killers oughta get out of the way, this issue has been tabled long enough.
No, this issue should not even have been drug up. Enforce the laws we have first, secure the borders, Then , only then, should anyone even consider the idea of amending our immigration rules and laws. But until they round up the illegals and kick them out, enforce the laws we have, and secure our borders, there is nothing to talk about and anyone that thinks different is truly being foolish. You either protect our Nation, or get the h%^& out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 07:30 AM
 
Location: CHicago, United States
6,936 posts, read 6,992,370 times
Reputation: 3487
Quote:
Ted Cruz the Cuban American: Determined to Stop Immigration
Reform

Do people just make up this shi*? Yes they do. Cruz was born in Calgary, Alberta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top