U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2013, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38636

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Panis View Post
Cruz has some interesting points to make, which I agreed with but ofcourse I disagree with his anti-legalization position. He wants to make the bill tougher, great, amend it. But bill killers oughta get out of the way, this issue has been tabled long enough.
I have to agree with you on this: I think the bill will need to be amended, of course it isn't perfect in its present form, but we can not let it die this time. The most important thing: make sure, regardless as to what the bill, eventually says, it is enforced!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2013, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38636
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Ted Cruz isn't doing the movement any favors; he is an annoying arrogant preening clown. He needs to sit down, shut up, and let people who aren't widely loathed make the case for his position.
You might think he is annoying, but he sure is getting a lot of attention and is very popular with the right.

You might not know anyone who voted for him, but if I remember right, he pretty much walked away with the victory and beat a very popular candidate in the primary. In fact most of us were shocked when he beat her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 07:51 AM
 
31,475 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8350
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Do people just make up this shi*? Yes they do. Cruz was born in Calgary, Alberta.
You are correct and in my post #7 I had said his family is from Canada not Cuba. I think the confusion is that his father was a Cuban immigrant. I had thought that Ted was born here however you are right he was born in Alberta, Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 07:57 AM
 
31,475 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8350
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have to agree with you on this: I think the bill will need to be amended, of course it isn't perfect in its present form, but we can not let it die this time. The most important thing: make sure, regardless as to what the bill, eventually says, it is enforced!!!!
It won't be however and Senator Grassley pointed out all the reasons why yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have to agree with you on this: I think the bill will need to be amended, of course it isn't perfect in its present form, but we can not let it die this time. The most important thing: make sure, regardless as to what the bill, eventually says, it is enforced!!!!
I don't think we need this bill at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 10:36 AM
 
Location: CHicago, United States
6,936 posts, read 6,990,802 times
Reputation: 3487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It won't be however and Senator Grassley pointed out all the reasons why yesterday.
I doubt Grassley wants immigration reform, because so many Iowa companies hire illegals instead of paying Americans to do the work. He's consistently been two-faced on this issue. Wink, wink. That's what he does. He will de-rail e-verify and any other proposal meant to curtail the flow of money to the illegals. Keep them in the dark, out of the legal spotlight ... and let the employers do what they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 01:40 PM
 
31,475 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8350
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I doubt Grassley wants immigration reform, because so many Iowa companies hire illegals instead of paying Americans to do the work. He's consistently been two-faced on this issue. Wink, wink. That's what he does. He will de-rail e-verify and any other proposal meant to curtail the flow of money to the illegals. Keep them in the dark, out of the legal spotlight ... and let the employers do what they want.
Since I don't know Grassley personally or even his politics in Iowa I can't say if that is true or not. All I am saying is that he made some very good arguments/points as to how the so-called requirements for illegals to be legalized are full of loopholes and won't be enforced.

You're right, he doesn't want any so-called immigration reform because like most of the GOP they know it isn't reform but amnesty and will harm our own citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2013, 02:33 PM
 
Location: CHicago, United States
6,936 posts, read 6,990,802 times
Reputation: 3487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're right, he doesn't want any so-called immigration reform because like most of the GOP they know it isn't reform but amnesty and will harm our own citizens.
The status quo helps corporate America, and the types of people who support the Grassley's of this world. It's an ilk without a moral or legal compass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I doubt Grassley wants immigration reform, because so many Iowa companies hire illegals instead of paying Americans to do the work. He's consistently been two-faced on this issue. Wink, wink. That's what he does. He will de-rail e-verify and any other proposal meant to curtail the flow of money to the illegals. Keep them in the dark, out of the legal spotlight ... and let the employers do what they want.
But how would adding 11 million (or many more million) newly legalized workers to the job seekers help Americans?

Employers of illegals won't simply just start paying legal wages, they won't provide health insurance, illegals won't want to do the domestic labor and hard work low wage jobs once they're rewarded with legal status for being here illegally. Then what? They'll be heading for both the higher paying jobs and the welfare programs.

And what about elderly illegals who are about to retire? Who is going to provide them a nice comfortable American retirement? Are illegals over age 60 going to be handed their amnesty? What if they never paid into social security? Will they just be added to the large and growing welfare handout programs?

And what of illegals like one of my neighbors who lives off welfare handouts now -- 4 US born kids who bring in housing vouchers, food stamps, and much more, she is not employed other than an occasional day labor kind of job. She has a 16 year old child back in Mexico that she hasn't seen since she left there when that child was an infant. Who provides for that child when she brings him since the illegals once amnestied can bring in minor age children? Will he be added to the food stamps, housing vouchers that the US born children are getting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2013, 08:08 AM
 
Location: CHicago, United States
6,936 posts, read 6,990,802 times
Reputation: 3487
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And what about elderly illegals who are about to retire? Who is going to provide them a nice comfortable American retirement? Are illegals over age 60 going to be handed their amnesty? What if they never paid into social security? Will they just be added to the large and growing welfare handout programs?
The best response to your fear mongering might be this:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top