U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 04:04 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,158,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Okay, as far as being racist goes,..My last name is hispanic, and MDH's father was black. My Grandmother immigrated here from Cape Verde making me.......Guess what!! Right, we are a very mixed family. I am a licensed Foster parent in 2 States. If we had 20 million ILLEGAL immigrants from Germany I'd be upset. If you want to go into it, many of the illegals are discriminated against in their countries of origin because they are of certain backgrounds. The Guatamalans that come here in large part are more "Indian" (not my words). They are of a sub culture in Guatamala, where they are treated as the lowest caste. There are also many Brazilians, and El Salvadorans. To come here, by sneaking in, breaking the law and then DEMAND what they want of course irritates many. I don't hate anyone, I dislike the wrong actions of many.
When you said those first words its as if you were one of my teachers from school. However the rest of your is where I made the distinction. As well as your location xD

Old 11-01-2007, 04:58 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
If you want to go into it, many of the illegals are discriminated against in their countries of origin because they are of certain backgrounds. The Guatamalans that come here in large part are more "Indian" (not my words). They are of a sub culture in Guatamala, where they are treated as the lowest caste. There are also many Brazilians, and El Salvadorans. To come here, by sneaking in, breaking the law and then DEMAND what they want of course irritates many. I don't hate anyone, I dislike the wrong actions of many.
I think you've hit upon something very dear the the "Gringo's Heart"...and that's the concept of appreciation. You are quite correct in that most--if not ALL--illegals are here, because in one way or another they were mistreated in their home countries. Some were mistreated economically, others by more violent means--racial discrimination, ethnic cleansing, and all sorts of various human "nastiness" that people can inflict upon each other.

Yet, when they get here, and are interviewed on the media, are they "mad" at their oppressors back home? Are they "mad" at those who made their lives so hard and so precarious that they were forced to leave home?. No, usually, they are not....many of them express great nostalgia for "home". Instead, they're mad at US (!)....WE are the ones they dislike...because, somehow, we aren't giving them everything they expect.

This is NOT the way to get on the "good side" of Americans. I know a lot of it is the media's fault, but still, I don't get it. Americans are "easy"....all we want is a little gratitude and respect. By nature, we're usually more than happy to help people in need---but (as I said earlier) NOBODY likes a rude, in-your-face, aggressive panhandler. That's the American culture....

Old 11-01-2007, 05:39 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,924,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Now unless every state passes laws that counter illegals, they will flood sanctuary cities and make the problem worse for someone else. Seems like scape goating to me.
Then let each state protect their own. Change has to start somewhere.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Then let each state protect their own. Change has to start somewhere.
Of course it does, I just don't think all states are willing to give up their illegals. Oh and history repeats itself. Who didn't want to give up the slaves? And a war was fought. That could happen again.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:34 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Of course it does, I just don't think all states are willing to give up their illegals. Oh and history repeats itself. Who didn't want to give up the slaves? And a war was fought. That could happen again.
One significant difference here:

When an illegal leaves the county/state; no one wants to hunt him down for fleeing-------unlike a Antebellum Black slave.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
One significant difference here:

When an illegal leaves the county/state; no one wants to hunt him down for fleeing-------unlike a Antebellum Black slave.
I believe there were Slave bounty hunters.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I believe there were Slave bounty hunters.
You're right---check up on the "Dred Scott" case---slaves had it entirely worse than illegals....

Old 11-01-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You're right---check up on the "Dred Scott" case---slaves had it entirely worse than illegals....
Of course they did-- I'm not arguing against that. I'm saying that there are a lot of similarities though.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Of course they did-- I'm not arguing against that. I'm saying that there are a lot of similarities though.
Some similarities for sure..but you've got to be realistic here. There are probably similarities with the Jews in Nazi Germany, too---but I don't think the illegals here are facing a Holocaust, or a genocide...

They face certain difficulties,for sure. We've all acknowledged that. But the fact is, they must have a better life here than they did at home, or they wouldn't be here. Their condition is still voluntary---and that means something. And the fact that they're here by the millions doesn't look like "oppression"....it looks like they're having economic struggles, but still have reason for a lot of hope and optimism---and that's better than they had before.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:02 AM

635 posts, read 1,559,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I'm a woman, and the name is nativeDallasite. N-A-T-I-V-E-D-A-L-L-A-S-I-T-E.
Now, try again...politely.
I see you really took a stab at my argument. I sincerely apologize for any disrespect, but please take it easy on the macho attack posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or