U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 03:38 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,301,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Yeah but what about the racist cartoons of blacks in Mexico and Fox saying Mexican do jobs even blacks won't do ?

I have been to Mexico with a black friend and he was not treated well. People would actually yell things at him on the street or on the beach!
Those "racist" comics are of a character (Memín Pinguin) that is beloved by Mexicans, there is nothing racist on those comics, well there is racism but not as you think the comics are an example on a strong person who deals with a racist society and earns their respect because of his pure heart and good actions. they tell the tales of Memin Pinguin a black kid who is a very nice, innocent and good person who loves his Mom very much, his story begins when he starts his first school day, as the story develops he starts to make friends in this new environment the wisdom and love of his mother always help him as he grows up and matures, these comic strips are very popular in Mexico and have been around for more than 40 years, that's why they made those postal timbres as an honor to the drawer, unfortunately they created a misunderstanding and had to be taken away.

There are a lot of other characters in memin pinguin comics, one of them comes from a rich family who decided to put him the public school where memin goes, first he is very snob and elitist but as time passes he becomes more humble and his classmates start to like him.

MemÃ*n PinguÃ*n - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regarding Fox, this guy is just plain stupid, everytime he spoke there was a ruckus because of his remarks, and he is a narcisistic egocentrical person that refuses to accept he is wrong and apologize, these were the reasons why Lopez Obrador (Mexican Hugo Chavez) almost wins the elections, fortunately he didnt. but Fox is just a stupid Mexican who happened to be the president of Mexico because people wanted democracy and he was the only option to beat the PRI (The party who remained in power for 71 years) but Fox's not Mexico.

About your friend I don't have more details about to know why was he mistreated, the father from a friend from holland came to Mexico and he was kind of rude and demanding obviously people didn't like that and they didn't treat him very well even though he's white, blond and blue eyed.

Well I see that you mention that you were with him and people were shouting things, do you speak spanish and knew what people were shouting? were you sure they were shouting things to him? there aren't many black persons in Mexico but the ones that live here are usually treated with respect.

Last edited by Travelling fella; 11-02-2007 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 03:57 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,713,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Regarding Fox, this guy is just plain stupid, everytime he spoke there was a ruckus because of his remarks, and he is a narcisistic egocentrical person that refuses to accept he is wrong and apologize, these were the reasons why Lopez Obrador (Mexican Hugo Chavez) almost wins the elections, fortunately he didnt. but Fox is just a stupid Mexican who happened to be the president of Mexico because people wanted democracy and he was the only option to beat the PRI (The party who remained in power for 71 years) but Fox's not Mexico.
Calderon seems an improvement over Fox. What is your take on him?

Old 11-02-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Calderon seems an improvement over Fox. What is your take on him?
So far I admire him!! in one year he's transformed Mexico way more than Fox did in 6!

if he continues the way he's going now, and the next presidents too Mexico will be a first world country finally

if you check the Mexico forum here in CD you'll see the news about Mexican Economy that we've posted there

Old 11-02-2007, 04:04 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,798,822 times
T F - I have taken several years of Spanish, but I am a bit rusty - I took a refresher course in Spain a couple of years ago. We were with a couple of hispanic friends of ours, one is pretty much anglo-looking (with surname "Chavez") and his wife was the one who 'looks' more like the majority. Plus my college roomate was along and he speaks Spanish fluently (married to a Peruvian). What words I didn't pick up they told me...

Old 11-02-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
T F - I have taken several years of Spanish, but I am a bit rusty - I took a refresher course in Spain a couple of years ago. We were with a couple of hispanic friends of ours, one is pretty much anglo-looking (with surname "Chavez") and his wife was the one who 'looks' more like the majority. Plus my college roomate was along and he speaks Spanish fluently (married to a Peruvian). What words I didn't pick up they told me...
Hmmm maybe they perceived you were American and they were trying to sell you something as they do with most tourists here

where was this?

Old 11-02-2007, 04:09 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,621,702 times
Let's be honest here a moment---in the controversy over immigration, it's easy to criticize Mexico--and it deserves criticism for many reasons. But the "Memin Pinguin" scandal is just plain SILLY. He's a PENGUIN, --a CARTOON penguin, for heaven sakes...get over it.

It's America that's gone "nuts" here, over Political Correctness. We've outlawed the "Frito Bandito" and "Speedy Gonzales" (both MICE...CARTOON mice) because they "might" offend Mexicans---what, Mexican mice?....We've outlawed "Heckle and Jeckyl" (cartoon CROWS..!!) because they "might" offend blacks. And no more "Porky Pig"-he had a stutter....
Maybe Mexico has the more reasonable attitude in keeping this silly. harmless, beloved Penguin, and not letting the "PC Wackos" shut him down....

If you want to criticize Mexico, there are plenty of good reasons to do so..but this is just silly...

Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,798,822 times
Acapluco and Mexico City.

Another incident: I just realized that the last time I went a couple of years ago, it was with a group and and one brought a black friend. I have to say he wasn't treated as badly, although some waiters would ask us ''el moreno quiere?" instead of him. Also he only got called "Michael Jackson" once and asked if he wanted drugs a couple of times loud on the street (they never asked the anglos).

Old 11-02-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Acapluco and Mexico City.

Another incident: I just realized that the last time I went a couple of years ago, it was with a group and and one brought a black friend. I have to say he wasn't treated as badly, although some waiters would ask us ''el moreno quiere?" instead of him. Also he only got called "Michael Jackson" once and asked if he wanted drugs a couple of times loud on the street (they never asked the anglos).
hmmm I guess that because there aren't many black people here he must have stood out, moreno is not an insult in Mexico but the way you mention it was, specially if they didn't refer to the anglos like that, about michael jackson, i feel bad for what i'm going to say but obviously there are a lot of uneducated people in my country that act in that way thinking they are going to be funny.

and about drugs, once I was in San Fransico walking at night, and a lot of people asked me just that

I got scared, took a taxi and returned to my hotel room, near union square

Old 11-02-2007, 04:21 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,161,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Don't answer if you don't want to--but how many times have you heard--"Oh, did she have the baby already?...Good. Was it dark or light?"---(pause)---"and was it a boy or a girl"?.....

More times than I'd care to admit, myself...
I've never heard someone ask that directly but I have heard it mentioned. My dad is pretty tan and my mom is pretty white. I have.. Starbucks Caramel with a lot of white cream skin. I'm not that White and I'm not that tan. Most of the people in my family are light brown hair, brown eyed and White skinned. One of my cousins actually has red hair believe it or not. From what I am seeing that fair skinned Mexican couples are popping out white children! With blonde hair and white skin. I've asked my dad if he had noticed and asked him to look at the child and the parents and see the difference. One of the family friends who is Mexican is pretty white with green eyes. Her husband is from Guatemala and is light tan. We were surprised to find out that their child came out with beautiful light red hair, with white skin and blue eyes. The baby looks exactly like an angel-- or what I would imagine one to look like.

While I'm at it heres a picture of Memin Penguin

Old 11-02-2007, 04:32 PM

13,054 posts, read 21,178,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Let's be honest here a moment---in the controversy over immigration, it's easy to criticize Mexico--and it deserves criticism for many reasons. But the "Memin Pinguin" scandal is just plain SILLY. He's a PENGUIN, --a CARTOON penguin, for heaven sakes...get over it.

It's America that's gone "nuts" here, over Political Correctness. We've outlawed the "Frito Bandito" and "Speedy Gonzales" (both MICE...CARTOON mice) because they "might" offend Mexicans---what, Mexican mice?....We've outlawed "Heckle and Jeckyl" (cartoon CROWS..!!) because they "might" offend blacks. And no more "Porky Pig"-he had a stutter....
Maybe Mexico has the more reasonable attitude in keeping this silly. harmless, beloved Penguin, and not letting the "PC Wackos" shut him down....

If you want to criticize Mexico, there are plenty of good reasons to do so..but this is just silly...
I do agree with you mac, for the most part, but this is not about a "penguin". It is about stereotyping - using "darky iconography". It is offensive to me, and I am not even A.A. Look at the pictures and tell me they look like penquins to you. Here is an excerpt from the Wiki page I linked earlier:

The charges of racism stem from the unflattering manner in which Pinguín and his mother are rendered, as classic darky iconography. The form has its roots in blackface and the American minstrel show tradition, with Memín and his mother depicted as stereotypes: the *****ninny and the mammy, respectively. Early Mexican comic artists adopted this common mode of depicting people of African descent, which had become commonplace around the world. The dress and attitudes of Memín's mother are a caricature of Afro-Cuban women of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration