U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:33 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,295,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I do agree with you mac, for the most part, but this is not about a "penguin". It is about stereotyping - using "darky iconography". It is offensive to me, and I am not even A.A. Look at the pictures and tell me they look like penquins to you. Here is an excerpt from the Wiki page I linked earlier:

The charges of racism stem from the unflattering manner in which Pinguín and his mother are rendered, as classic darky iconography. The form has its roots in blackface and the American minstrel show tradition, with Memín and his mother depicted as stereotypes: the *****ninny and the mammy, respectively. Early Mexican comic artists adopted this common mode of depicting people of African descent, which had become commonplace around the world. The dress and attitudes of Memín's mother are a caricature of Afro-Cuban women of the time.
Just for you to know, Pinguin doesnt mean Penguin, it's a cuban term for mischievous kids it comes from pingo, if you read the wikipedia link you'll see a more detailed description of why Memin was created
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 04:47 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Just for you to know, Pinguin doesnt mean Penguin, it's a cuban term for mischievous kids it comes from pingo, if you read the wikipedia link you'll see a more detailed description of why Memin was created
You got me---I spent time in Argentina which has many "pinguinos" used in advertising, etc....(where they really ARE penguins)....and I didn't bother to check out the "Memin" controversy when I heard of it last year---I stand corrected...

You can all be disappointed in me..but PLEASE don't make fun of me...that wouldn't be Politically Correct...

Old 11-02-2007, 05:41 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,295,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You got me---I spent time in Argentina which has many "pinguinos" used in advertising, etc....(where they really ARE penguins)....and I didn't bother to check out the "Memin" controversy when I heard of it last year---I stand corrected...

You can all be disappointed in me..but PLEASE don't make fun of me...that wouldn't be Politically Correct...
of course not my friend why would I?

Old 11-02-2007, 05:57 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
I used to work with a 'moreno' from Nayarit, Mx------and, his last name is Moreno!

Too; some of the 'bad' words SOB like Naco, Az. and Indio, Ca. are names of small towns here in the USA.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:57 PM

376 posts, read 611,975 times
For Terrapin2212,

One, for e.g., was when I wrote a piece titled "Remember The Alarmo". The piece was promptly locked up by paddle lock after a few threads and the key melted.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:13 AM

6,525 posts, read 11,616,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I read your post over carefully, and, if it's just as you describe, then I have to say I cannot imagine why this particular subject would be "taboo". I can understand a timid, across-the-board political correctness, but what you describe includes plenty of controversial subjects, so I don't have a clue...

I do remember back in the 70's and 80's when lots of TV crime dramas always featured a wise, thoughful black or hispanic police official whose input "saved" the case, and many scruffy, shabby, tatooed white gang-bangers or similar white "dirt-bags". For quite a few years there, TV showed very few minority "low-lifes", and I always assumed this was a sort of politically-correct attemp to compensate for past negative minority images such as their buffoonish depictions in the 1950's...

But the situation you describe frankly mystifies me. Maybe it's just too "touchy" a subject in someone's estimation. Perhaps it hits too "close to home" in the USA, unlike Palestinian or Irish terrorism...
Yeah I've noticed too, especially in the 70s or 80s. I have heard many people point out how Detroit is portrayed as a mostly white city in Robocop and Beverly Hills Cop. But I think movies now are more balanced in terms of showing people of all races as both good guys and criminals which reflects reality more. However some things are still taboo. Actually, outside of "24" there are very few shows of movies willing to show Islamic terrorists in teh post 9-11 world. Most films where America fights Middle Eastern villains were made prior to 9-11 like True Lies or Executive Decision.

I deicded to do something new and make up a season of 24 with Mexican reconquistadores and leftists and illegal secessionists as villains and I guess that was too much. But it IS a villain nobody's ever used before.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
For Terrapin2212,

One, for e.g., was when I wrote a piece titled "Remember The Alarmo". The piece was promptly locked up by paddle lock after a few threads and the key melted.
Hmmmm, even on this forum?

Actually with the Alamo and the Texas Revolution/Mexican War, Mexico DID start that war. After San Jacinto, Santa Ana signed a treaty with Sam Houston saying the border between Texas and Mexico was the Rio Grande but then he unilaterally changed it to the Rio Bravo.

When Texas joined the Union, its original border should still stand and remember Santa Ana AGREED it was the Rio Grande. So technically the Mexican War started when Santa Ana sent his soldiers onto U.S. soil.

As for Mexico used to controlling the Southwest, well Mexico was part of Spain, and Spain was part of the Moorish empire at one point, which was part of Rome......

Old 11-04-2007, 06:46 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post

As for Mexico used to controlling the Southwest, well Mexico was part of Spain, and Spain was part of the Moorish empire at one point, which was part of Rome......
And; Mexico was under French control ca. 1867 so they have not been continuously independent since 1821.

Quote:
In the 1860s the country again underwent a military occupation, this time by France, which established the Habsburg Archduke Ferdinand Maximilian of Austria on the Mexican throne as Emperor Maximilian I of Mexico with support from the Catholic clergy and the conservative Mexicans. This Second Mexican Empire was victorious for only a few years, when the previous president of the Republic, the Zapotec Indian Benito Juárez, managed to restore the republic in 1867.
Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-04-2007, 09:41 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
some things are still taboo. Actually, outside of "24" there are very few shows of movies willing to show Islamic terrorists in teh post 9-11 world. Most films where America fights Middle Eastern villains were made prior to 9-11 like True Lies or Executive Decision. that was too much. But it IS a villain nobody's ever used before.
This brings to mind a post I wrote some time back related to your subject. In it I stated that America has some "history" with Arabs---The Detroit-Toledo area has a long-time Arabic community---and we have many Arabs in US society, who perhaps have failed to be "recognized" simply because they blended in TOO WELL--people like Congresman Nick Rahall of West Virginia, well-loved philanthropist and actor Danny Thomas---actor Jamie Farr ("Klinger" from M*A*S*H)---and the gruff Vic Tayback ("Mel's Diner")--all these people are Arabs--and their are many more

What America ISN'T familiar with is Islam--most of our Arab immigrants have traditionally been Christians. It's the modern notion of "militant Islam" that upsets Americans, not the ethnicity of Arabs. Most of our silly past Hollywood images of "evil, blood thirsty Sheiks" have to do with images of Muslim violence and misbehavior, rather than Arabic ethnicity....

Old 11-04-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And; Mexico was under French control ca. 1867 so they have not been continuously independent since 1821.

Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
YEah almost forgot about the French in Mexico. In fact, Cinco de Mayo is about a Mexican victory against French forces in the 1800s. How that day became associated with drinking and partying in the U.S.....well I'm not complaining
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration