U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 07:30 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,334,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
For literature, the Arts and especially the "Sciences"----Not just picking tomatoes or cutting lawns!
Not a thing; at least NOTHING "good" for regular Americans.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:35 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,334,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Okay, I'm someone who went to school. Got a job. Worked on education. So you are asking me to subsidize a "legal" american and pay him more than someone else because he was born here?

Quit with the entittlement. I am not a donation service. Look to church for that bucko. If someone wants to do a job cheaper than I'm all for the cheaper one (if quality same). I'm not going to subdize a bunch of teenagers or no-talent uneducated hipsters to pick tomatoes. Thats crap.
Let the GROWERS figure out how to pay and how MUCH to pay their help. If Mexicans are really needed; the growers can get them visas and those Mexican workers would be both LEGAL and have some protection from being cheated. Illegal aliens are barely above slaves.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:36 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,715,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
They have managed to keep the cost of our produce down due to their willingness to work well below minimum wage.
Funny, every article about illegals and crop picking shows they make atleast the minimum wage (Ag: Fed or State which is actually higher than normal State or Fed minimum wage). Many even make as much as $25 per hour. The issue becomes they are not working full time and work a few months here and there.

Your hyperbole is false.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:37 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,715,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
What is wrong with the agricultural aspect? Without them you would not be eating a lot of produce and the rest would be unaffordable.
UC Davis says otherwise. The cost of fuel increase has a larger effect on the final cost of produce then does wages to pick it. Many farmers would simply change their models and plant other crops or they would mechanize.

Your claims is false.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:55 PM

1,864 posts, read 1,967,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
They have managed to keep the cost of our produce down due to their willingness to work well below minimum wage.
This is a myth, it only allow larger profit margin for the produce distributor.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:53 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Nice try? I'm simply telling a story I heard. Is there a reason why you feel the need to make a rude comment? So you know for a fact that all those illegals out there are worthless & have done nothing to better society? What do they need to do for you to consider them not worthless & that they have bettered society?
They sure didn't better their own country so why would anyone expect them to do more for ours?

Their own country doesn't want them back, any time any illegal is deported, their country's government gets up in arms over it, claims that they cause crime rates to rise.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:57 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
This is a myth, it only allow larger profit margin for the produce distributor.
Besides -- I sure haven't come across any of this cheap produce. Lettuce for example was $0.25 a head back before all the illegals arrived. I've seen it going for as much as $1.50 a head --- with 25 million illegals or more here.

In fact it would make much more sense to deport illegals and let them harvest produce back in their own countries where the labor costs and costs of living for them is much lower -- and we can import produce.

In fact very often the cheaper produce is exactly that -- imported from Mexico and Central America. It makes no sense to pay illegals $5 an hour to pick lettuce here when back home they can be paid $5 a day which would make the imported lettuce far more affordable.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:24 PM

2,940 posts, read 6,998,158 times
They give more crimes for the media to report. Like this...
Update: Southold man arrested after repeat phone calls to teen | Suffolk Times

Old 05-08-2013, 01:59 AM

2,075 posts, read 1,777,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
For literature, the Arts and especially the "Sciences"----Not just picking tomatoes or cutting lawns!
Well, there are no great art works from illegal aliens because cans of spray paint only hit the street in
the late 60's. Does grafitti count as "Art work" ? If so, MS-13 has done sone incredable work under the
bridges in L.A.

How about all those books on sneaking into the U.S., or, fake papers & forged SSI#'s. Does that count
as literature ?

As far as "Sciences" goes I'll admit i'm at a loss, unless you can count making meth or growing pot a
Science.

Thats about all all illegals do to "better the country". BTW, what are you smoking ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration