U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 07:54 AM

3,162 posts, read 10,295,946 times

Advertisements

Ok, after seeing how many small minds twist the meaning of Aztlan and Aztec I want to give a brief explanation.

Aztlan was Aztec's homeland nobody knows exactly where it was, some people say it was located in the state of Nayarit in Mexico, while others say it was in Utah in the United States of America.

Aztecs left Aztlan, guided by their God Huitzilopochtli who told them that whenever they found an eagle over a nopal (a kind of cactus) devouring a serpent, that would be the promised land for them.

They found this eagle on a tiny island on the lake of Texcoco, when they found it, they called this Land Mexico and became Mexicas.

That's the reason our national flag has an eagle over a nopal devouring a serpent.

Aztecs were smart and advanced, they built Chinampas (some kind of platforms over the water) and they started to grow crops there, slowly a city was formed, that on ancient times was the most populated city of it's time (2 million inhabitants)

so as you can see, Aztecs left Aztlan on their own free will they decided to become Mexicas or Mexicanos on their own free will

If ancient Aztecs were alive today, they would find the Aztlan idea ridiculous because if they decided to abandon those lands on their free will to build the great nation of Mexico it means that it was free for other cultures to take it.

As a happy Mexican, who dearly loves his land because I know it, I feel ashamed of people twisting our precious inheritage

Btw Mexico cit's ancient name was the Great Tenochtitlan and the name the Spaniards gave to it was the most noble and loyal city of Mexico. the coat of arms of our city still has that slogan printed on it.

Love and Light!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 06:38 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Thanks for your story---I was amazed to see that the only thing that survived the big fire we had across from my house last week were the nopales---everything else was incinerated...(including the serpents)...
The first Spanish explorers were "blown away" by the city of the Aztecs you described...they had never seen anything like it....

Old 11-01-2007, 06:53 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Thanks for your story---I was amazed to see that the only thing that survived the big fire we had across from my house last week were the nopales---everything else was incinerated...(including the serpents)...
The first Spanish explorers were "blown away" by the city of the Aztecs you described...they had never seen anything like it....

And yet they covered the remains.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
And yet they covered the remains.
Yep, it was a pretty brutal "change of cultures". You don't think the Indians who built the California missions just suddenly got an urge to be bricklayers, do you? Lets say they were "persuaded" to take up that trade....for the "Glory of God".....

Old 11-01-2007, 08:06 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Persuaded and forced are two VERY different words my friend. And I know you know that the Native indians that were here before the European settlers weren't pleased either.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Persuaded and forced are two VERY different words my friend. And I know you know that the Native indians that were here before the European settlers weren't pleased either.
Once again, sorry my "sarcasm" wasn't obvious to you..."persuaded" is often used to mean "forced"....and yes, as you say, I do know all this stuff very well. There's not a lot any of us can do about the brutality of the past, except acknowledge it, and be sure we don't repeat it.....

Old 11-01-2007, 08:24 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Well; as well all know, cultures subjugate cultures all the time.......Ferdinand and Isabella had tossed out the Muslim culture in Spain ca. 1492 as well.

Besides; good ol' Cortez enlisted several American Indian tribes in what is now Mexico to help defeat the Aztecs.

Even to this day: there is no love lost between different tribes for reasons that you and I may think are silly.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:46 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,295,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Well; as well all know, cultures subjugate cultures all the time.......Ferdinand and Isabella had tossed out the Muslim culture in Spain ca. 1492 as well.

Besides; good ol' Cortez enlisted several American Indian tribes in what is now Mexico to help defeat the Aztecs.

Even to this day: there is no love lost between different tribes for reasons that you and I may think are silly.
sad but true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration