Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 09:00 AM

265 posts, read 663,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
What about doing our best on trying to make earth heaven?

Jesus Christ, Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Theresa did that and their small grain of sand left a lasting mark
Tell that to the terrorists that kill innocent children, indoctrinating them in their brainwashing camps to strap on bombs to blow people up.
What are you going to do with all the murderers? Since you don't believe in capital punishment ( how do I know??? ) the murderers and rapists will still be hanging around to knock you off in your " heaven on earth ".
this is to that ideal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 09:02 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,420,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting View Post
Tell that to the terrorists that kill innocent children, indoctrinating them in their brainwashing camps to strap on bombs to blow people up.
What are you going to do with all the murderers? Since you don't believe in capital punishment ( how do I know??? ) the murderers and rapists will still be hanging around to knock you off in your " heaven on earth ".
this is to that ideal
Love is the strongest and more powerful force in the world, it can do miracles.

I don't care if I get killed fighting this war with the weapons I know, Love, Ideas, Non-violence and Music, a lot of people died on Gandhi's cause and he said, this is a war I never said it was going to be pretty or that people wouldn't die (he died in the end too) Christ died at the cross as well, but their love prevailed in the end!

hatred only breeds more hatred and it has never or will never solve anything

Old 11-01-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
We have always had borders, however, US has always wanted immigration, hence this poem posted on the side of the statue of liberty:

However, America has double standards on who can enter these doors, and who is allowed to go for the American Dream.

Irish - Allowed.
British - Allowed.
Cubans - Allowed
Puerto Ricans - Allowed (obviously)

Dominicans - Denied
Hatians - Denied
Mexican - Thrown out.

Borders have always been there, US could have enforced it, but we needed them open...for a little while that is.

Now elections are coming, our president is a goof, our economy is slowing, we are at 2 wars..1 of which started under totally false pretenses.

Oh! America is finally doing bad. We elected an idiot into office...who should we blame? Where should we direct our frustration?

Answer: Borders and the Mexicans.
Oh boo hoo, get out the violins
Only one problem with that, back when people came, the country was growing and had the room, and we always~ repeat ALWAYS ACCEPT LEGAL REPEAT~ LEGAL immigrants.
WHAT DID I SAY?
I said we always accept LEGAL IMMIGRATION.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:14 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,532,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
We have always had borders, however, US has always wanted immigration, hence this poem posted on the side of the statue of liberty:

However, America has double standards on who can enter these doors, and who is allowed to go for the American Dream.

Irish - Allowed.
British - Allowed.
Cubans - Allowed
Puerto Ricans - Allowed (obviously)

Dominicans - Denied
Hatians - Denied
Mexican - Thrown out.

Borders have always been there, US could have enforced it, but we needed them open...for a little while that is.

Now elections are coming, our president is a goof, our economy is slowing, we are at 2 wars..1 of which started under totally false pretenses.

Oh! America is finally doing bad. We elected an idiot into office...who should we blame? Where should we direct our frustration?

Answer: Borders and the Mexicans.
Your post makes some sense, but skirts other issues. No. 1, Mexicans are a special case--they were here (in TINY numbers) in the SW first, and they have been immigrating here for centuries at a continous stream--some doing so repeatedly, back and forth, over the years. Those "early-day" Mexicans are now American citizens. Today's illegals "missed the opportunity" back then, and today, they're not citizens here....just like most other people around the world aren't.

The other groups you mention mostly came in a huge wave---then tapered off sharply. Once they got here, they couldn't go back--they were committed.

One of the things few people mention, though, is that conditions HERE have changed. If you "give me a ride to work" this week, that doesn't neccesarily mean I have the right to expect you to do this permanently. Your situation, or mine, may change. Maybe you'll want me to do YOU a favor...but anyway, things and conditions change. Nothing is permanent.
America once had enormous empty spaces, and needed lots of bodies to do "grunt work"--you didn't need to know English to dig a ditch, pound railroad spikes, chase cattle, or cut down trees. Our society no longer needs poorly-educated people to fill these jobs. It's becoming a case of the immigrants "needing" America, more than America "needing" the immigrants.

Eventually, I think you'll agree, this thing must come to and end---we can't go on like this forever. The argument is, should immigration (illegal especially) come to an end now, or in 10 years, or in 50 years? Should we end it now, when it's causing controversy, or wait until we have really serious problems sometime in the future?

Remember, the world is full of hungry, desperate people....that will never change. We have a moral duty to help. But it's pretty obvious that they can't all come here. So what do we do?...

Old 11-01-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Love is the strongest and more powerful force in the world, it can do miracles.

I don't care if I get killed fighting this war with the weapons I know, Love, Ideas, Non-violence and Music, a lot of people died on Gandhi's cause and he said, this is a war I never said it was going to be pretty or that people wouldn't die (he died in the end too) Christ died at the cross as well, but their love prevailed in the end!

hatred only breeds more hatred and it has never or will never solve anything
There's nothing wrong with love, ideals, non-violence and music but the enemies only understand one thing: power=control. Bullies only understand one thing and that is control and power.
Another words, wimpyness will get you no where.
Sorry 'bout that.
Are your parents happy with those ideals too?

Old 11-01-2007, 09:19 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,420,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting View Post
There's nothing wrong with love, ideals, non-violence and music but the enemies only understand one thing: power=control. Bullies only understand one thing and that is control and power.
Another words, wimpyness will get you no where.
Sorry 'bout that.
Are your parents happy with those ideals too?
Yes they are, but even if they weren't I wouldn't care, because I answer to no one but God, my heavenly father.

Love is strenght it take more strenght to resist hatred and not fight back with that inferior energy, than to fall prey of it and answer back in a wimpy way.

Love is God, God is everything, what is impossible for men to achive is possible for God to do.

Love and Light!

Old 11-01-2007, 09:22 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,304,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
If our country doesn't have defined borders that are enforced we are not a country at all; just a blob of land. Is this really what we want?
I totally agree with u. The borders are important to any country. Isn't that a big part of the problem in the Middle East. We need to secure our borders and look at illegal immigration as a threat to national security and quite possibly an attack on our sovereignty of the U. S.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:22 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,645,953 times
it is called TOUGH LOVE

Old 11-01-2007, 10:24 AM

43 posts, read 88,332 times
I think that the US should have borders, but it shouldn't be a double standard. The US wants to put a fence up all across the US and Mexican borders. Yes, and they should do that but they should also be doing the same with the Canadian US borders as well. Currently there are no fences closing the US Canadian borders is that right?? If we are gunna close one border they should all be closed and all that would like to pass should pass the same way.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:48 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,464,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raelynn View Post
I think that the US should have borders, but it shouldn't be a double standard. The US wants to put a fence up all across the US and Mexican borders. Yes, and they should do that but they should also be doing the same with the Canadian US borders as well. Currently there are no fences closing the US Canadian borders is that right?? If we are gunna close one border they should all be closed and all that would like to pass should pass the same way.
I agree. But you will get the auto-response that "Canadians aren't hurting us!!!"...even though 2 of the 9/11 terrorists allegedly came through Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration