U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Michigan
12,715 posts, read 11,191,291 times
Reputation: 4103

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I could post a lot of stats on what it costs our country annually by having illegals here on both the state and federal level. The wall would be much cheaper in the long run. However, those who have a vested interest in allowing illegals to come here whether it be an ethnocentric one or some other reason they would just deny those stats and attack the source no matter where it originated.
I wouldn't; I would consider both sides of the argument. Conservative economists like Thomas Sowell have deflated (no pun intended) a lot of anti-immigrant rhetoric by pointing out the other side of the balance sheet; consumption taxes paid by immigrants, for instance. Whether the cost of maintaining a fence would be justified by the benefits is an empirical question. The OP apparently does not wish to cite evidence for these things, but merely vent hatred upon illegals.

Quote:
And how do you put a price on another terrorist attack on this country? Even the FBI Director has said that those from known terrorist countries have slipped through our southern border along with migrants looking for work and disappeared into our country.
All the 9/11 terrorists came from so-called friendly countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2013, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Michigan
12,715 posts, read 11,191,291 times
Reputation: 4103
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
the building cost, being aone time cost of about 60 billion, maybe 2 billion a year in maintenance cost.
Bloomberg Finance's recent estimate for the fence was $28 billion a year in maintenance.

Sealing the U.S. Border Would Cost an Additional $28 Billion a Year - Businessweek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2013, 11:39 AM
 
31,483 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8352
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I still can't get behind the idea of building a wall, because it just seems too much like an old Soviet Eastern Europe thing. What we need to do is cut off the gravy train that makes them come here in the first place. Like I've said before, I don't have an issue with those who wish to come here legally to live, but we shouldn't continue to give freebies to those who come here illegally, and won't even attempt to become a citizen of the US!
It isn't comparable to the Berln wall. It isn't meant to keep our citizens in but to keep illegal foreigners out. I agree that removing the incentives for illegals to come here such as jobs and benefits would be a huge deterrant but how does that keep terrorists and other criminals out? They aren't looking for jobs and benefits but to harm us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2013, 11:45 AM
 
31,483 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8352
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I wouldn't; I would consider both sides of the argument. Conservative economists like Thomas Sowell have deflated (no pun intended) a lot of anti-immigrant rhetoric by pointing out the other side of the balance sheet; consumption taxes paid by immigrants, for instance. Whether the cost of maintaining a fence would be justified by the benefits is an empirical question. The OP apparently does not wish to cite evidence for these things, but merely vent hatred upon illegals.



All the 9/11 terrorists came from so-called friendly countries.
I can't take anything you say seriously when you use the term anti-"immigrant". The objection is to ILLEGAL immigration not "immigrants.

I don't care what country those terrorists came from. It's the intent of the terrorist that matters. However, even the FBI Director has said that those from "known" terrorist countries have slipped through our southern border right along with Mexican migrants looking for work and disappeared into our country. That has got to stop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2013, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Michigan
12,715 posts, read 11,191,291 times
Reputation: 4103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I can't take anything you say seriously when you use the term anti-"immigrant". The objection is to ILLEGAL immigration not "immigrants.
(Shrug) "Legal" is whatever we choose to make it.

Quote:
I don't care what country those terrorists came from. It's the intent of the terrorist that matters. However, even the FBI Director has said that those from "known" terrorist countries have slipped through our southern border right along with Mexican migrants looking for work and disappeared into our country. That has got to stop!
Not knowing who is crossing the border is a problem, we can agree there. I am simply pointing out that people not from "known terrorist countries" have done almost all the damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2013, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Prepperland
13,116 posts, read 9,202,467 times
Reputation: 8988
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Damn! There it is! We can solve the whole illegal immigration problem by just eliminating Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Welfare, Food stamps and insisting on forced abortions for any potential anchor babies.
Problem solved.
In addition to eradicating socialism, one can repeal the 14th amendment.
That would prove useful, especially voiding clause 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2013, 12:11 PM
 
31,483 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8352
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
(Shrug) "Legal" is whatever we choose to make it.



Not knowing who is crossing the border is a problem, we can agree there. I am simply pointing out that people not from "known terrorist countries" have done almost all the damage.
No, legal is different from illegal. Therefore one can't use just the word "immigrant" to describe two different groups. It blurs the lines between those who come here legally and those who don't.

So because of that we shouldn't worry even more about those who ARE from known terrorists countries? That makes about as much sense as saying well the 9/11 terrorists flew in here on visas so we will never have any come illegally through our borders the next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2013, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,766 posts, read 12,744,983 times
Reputation: 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvern212 View Post
Because a fence can't stop a determined man.



The best fence is racial profiling, e-verify, harsh laws that punish businesses that hire illegals. The issue is that liberalism is way too sympathetic so we can't do any of these things. And now that overt sympathy is costing us trillions in tax dollars, radical cultural changes, importation of mass poverty, high unemployment etc etc

Liberalism is literally killing the united states. If we didn't have liberalism then we wouldn't have an illegal immigration problem at all.
So giving a sh*t about people less fortunate than yourself is a... bad thing? I love when conservatives promote such lack of compassion. It's just how Jesus taught them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2013, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,766 posts, read 12,744,983 times
Reputation: 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
And that is what we should have been doing many years ago.
Kids too, or do you draw an arbitrary line in regards to your lust for blood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2013, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Michigan
12,715 posts, read 11,191,291 times
Reputation: 4103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So because of that we shouldn't worry even more about those who ARE from known terrorists countries?
How are you defining "known terrorist countries", first of all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top