Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 03:28 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,923,944 times

Advertisements

Because this is not China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 04:49 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvern212 View Post
Mexican border guards shoot to kill on their southern border FYI.
And that is what we should have been doing many years ago.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:55 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,364,800 times
easy.
its how democrats recruit voters. they have to import them.
liberals are a dying breed,
gehs dont reproduce and the few straight liberals out there are either too lazy or just too dang ugly to have sex.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:04 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,994,528 times
Immigration and freedom of travel are natural rights and a fence would violate those rights, as well as invite potential for the government to keep us in, as opposed to keeping the Mexicans out. Remember the Berlin Wall? That was purportedly for protection from West Germany, but it was actually there to keep the East Germans from escaping. The U.S. may be going down a similar road with the "exit tax" and the record numbers of renunciations lately. Also, building a fence implies that the government has some right to build it as if this entire country is the private property of the government. It is not. This country belongs to the people, not to the government.

There is also the practical issue. It would cost a lot of money to build and maintain a fence, with only questionable benefits in return. Also, a fence designed to stop immigrants won't stop a military invasion, seeing as the invading force could just blow it up rather easily. I lend about as much support to a Mexican border fence as most of the rest of you would to a border fence between New York and New Jersey.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:47 AM

23,206 posts, read 29,014,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
I don't know that I'd support a fence along the entire length, but I would support things like drone patrols, seismic sensors, and a drastic increase in manpower. A controlled border doesn't mean a closed border. I'm Mexican-American, btw. Zero sympathy for the Teabag/Minuteman crowd, but I see the need for a controlled border.
Being the fertility rate in Mexico has dropped to 2.0+, it would be an exercise in futility to build a fence now!

Someone, though, will have to then do the low-scale work in Mexico, and many a Central American will
jump to the occasion, unless they go south, for higher wages in low fertility Brazil, Argentina or Brazil!

Why it took so long for Mexico to wake up!!! Fewer workers available, higher wages!!!

Old 05-08-2013, 05:51 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,414,151 times
I'm sure the soviets posed the same question to E. Berliners.
Any fence the guv builds will be a complete boondogle. Better to get rid of the incentives that lure them across the border in the first place, win/win for the taxpayer.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:00 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Living in a such a repressive country like the U.S., I'm opposed to any border fence, fearful the day comes we'll be trapped here, no way to get out!

When anarchy swept Iran after disposal of the Shah, many were trapped there, unable to get out!

I can just see it! Anarchy/fascism sweeps the country, we all make a beeline for the Mexican border, now all fenced in! There we are, suitcases in hand, pounding on the border fences, while laughing Mexican border guards throw rocks at us!
" fearful the day comes we'll be trapped here, no way to get out!"

You need to start thinking outside the box.

Have you ever herd of boats? If thousands of Cubans are smart enough to figure it out you should be!

Then of course thee is always the new invention, the airplane.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:29 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Conservatives won't agree to punish companies. Liberals won't agree to punish illegals.

That's actually why I'm confused by the OP. The only person I ever heard speak against a fence was Ron Paul and he isn't liberal.

I believe that he said something along the lines of the fence that we want to design at the border to keep those out, may someday keep us in.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 AM

62,865 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Immigration and freedom of travel are natural rights and a fence would violate those rights, as well as invite potential for the government to keep us in, as opposed to keeping the Mexicans out. Remember the Berlin Wall? That was purportedly for protection from West Germany, but it was actually there to keep the East Germans from escaping. The U.S. may be going down a similar road with the "exit tax" and the record numbers of renunciations lately. Also, building a fence implies that the government has some right to build it as if this entire country is the private property of the government. It is not. This country belongs to the people, not to the government.

There is also the practical issue. It would cost a lot of money to build and maintain a fence, with only questionable benefits in return. Also, a fence designed to stop immigrants won't stop a military invasion, seeing as the invading force could just blow it up rather easily. I lend about as much support to a Mexican border fence as most of the rest of you would to a border fence between New York and New Jersey.
There is no "natural" right to migrate anywhere one wishes. All countries have borders and immigration laws and for good reasons.

A wall along our southern border is not akin to the Berlin wall. It wouldn't be meant to keep us in but to keep illegal foreigners out and you know it. There were several miles of the double layed wall constructed in the San Diego area. It cut illegal immigration in that area down to a trickle. We were promised that same wall along the most porous areas of our southern border but congress didn't fund it. Our border patrol could then focus on the easier areas to patrol. It is a hell of a lot cheaper than the alternative of having million of illegals in our country and would be terrorists and criminals.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:39 AM

62,865 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Being the fertility rate in Mexico has dropped to 2.0+, it would be an exercise in futility to build a fence now!

Someone, though, will have to then do the low-scale work in Mexico, and many a Central American will
jump to the occasion, unless they go south, for higher wages in low fertility Brazil, Argentina or Brazil!

Why it took so long for Mexico to wake up!!! Fewer workers available, higher wages!!!
Are you kidding me? What do their birthrates in Mexico have to do with it? They are still pouring over our border and producing all their kids here because of the government handouts they get here that they don't get in Mexico.

It would not be futile to build the wall that congrress approved but never funded. The costs of building it pale in comparison to the costs of them coming here in droves year after year after year. With the talks of amnesty by the Obama administration the number of illegal entries has tripled in recent months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration