U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 01:54 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,608,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
please tell me how can you be against a Border Fence?

How can you be against it? don't play the race card, it has been the first and last card in the statist deck, a card you can no longer use.
I wonder if the native american's had this same discussion way back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 02:12 PM

4,414 posts, read 3,223,280 times
Since it would involve the taking of private property through eminent domain, take 15 years to build and cost north of $30,000,000,000 to build I can see why self proclaimed "conservatives" love the idea of a border fence.
Border Fence Raises Cost Question - NY Times

Frankly, I'm all for an open border, especially with Canada. Strictly enforced citizenship requirements for work and benefits, and removing removing jus soli should take care of most problems. But, then again, we are already not enforcing the laws we have. The tightening of border security at northern crossings has a very controlling and ominous undertones. Why should should the citizens of neighboring prosperous nations not be allowed free movement within the confines of respective laws?

Last edited by Mr. Mon; 05-08-2013 at 02:21 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 02:13 PM

295 posts, read 302,338 times
I used to think this was silly idea, but I've reading books lately that deal with this issue and my thinking is coming around a bit. From what I've learned, what we have to do is build this wall hundreds of feet high and build giant castles for military garrisons spaced every so often along its length. Two castles would be built at either end. The one at San Diego would be called Shadow Tower and the one at Matamoros would be Eastwatch.

How would we garrison these castles you ask? Well, what we would do is sentence thieves, murderers, rapists, etc. to spend the rest of their days in this Brotherhood (called "The Black") after swearing a blood oath to never take a women or family and to pledge to give their life in protection of The Watch. Fathers could send a craven or effeminate son to take the black as well.

This garrison would naturally conduct rangering expedictions into Mexico to guage the situation and generally hector the southlings. Any evidence of an eminent attack would be responded by falling back into the castles into defensive positions while ravens are dispatched to Washington for reinforcements. It can only be hoped that the officials in Washington aren't too distracted by the War of the Two Parties to send fresh replacements.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:21 PM

31,516 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
I wonder if the native american's had this same discussion way back.
Who cares?

Old 05-08-2013, 02:21 PM

32,801 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm not against it per se, but when you live as close to the border as i do, it's so goddamn ugly to see. It reminds me of the times i stood next to the Berlin Wall when i lived in Germany.

Something about a wall to keep people out just gnaws at my soul. It makes ME feel as if i'm being caged in. I can't really articulate it. I can understand the laws about immigration and the like, but it just grates at me.

But i'm not going to pretend that i don't understand the necessity of it at least somewhat. I just wish there were a better solution than that. There must be.
I have friends that live on the border and after having their stuff ripped off and trashed almost nightly from the horde moving North they are ecstatic it's there. I do feel sorry for those in AZ that have to deal with the illegals that used to come up from SD.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Since it would involve the taking of private property through eminent domain, take 15 years to build and cost north of $30,000,000,000 to build I can see why self proclaimed "conservatives" love the idea of a border fence.
Border Fence Raises Cost Question - NY Times

Frankly, I'm all for an open border, especially with Canada. Strictly enforced citizenship requirements for work and benefits, and removing removing jus soli should take care of most problems. But, then again, we are already not enforcing the laws we have. The tightening of border security at northern crossings has a very controlling and ominous undertones. Why should should the citizens of neighboring prosperous nations not be allowed free movement within the confines of respective laws?
What are you talking about? Ever heard of passports or visas?

Illegals over a 15 year period would cost us a lot more than it would to build that double-layered wall where it is needed. For national security I would be glad to sell some of my property to the government. I don't just care about myself but our nation as a whole. What about terrorism? I guess that is a non-issue?

Old 05-08-2013, 02:26 PM

4,375 posts, read 2,647,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
please tell me how can you be against a Border Fence?

How can you be against it? don't play the race card, it has been the first and last card in the statist deck, a card you can no longer use.
Don't want MY taxpayer dollars being wasted on something as stupid and insignificant as a "border fence".

Old 05-08-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Gibson LP View Post
I used to think this was silly idea, but I've reading books lately that deal with this issue and my thinking is coming around a bit. From what I've learned, what we have to do is build this wall hundreds of feet high and build giant castles for military garrisons spaced every so often along its length. Two castles would be built at either end. The one at San Diego would be called Shadow Tower and the one at Matamoros would be Eastwatch.

How would we garrison these castles you ask? Well, what we would do is sentence thieves, murderers, rapists, etc. to spend the rest of their days in this Brotherhood (called "The Black") after swearing a blood oath to never take a women or family and to pledge to give their life in protection of The Watch. Fathers could send a craven or effeminate son to take the black as well.

This garrison would naturally conduct rangering expedictions into Mexico to guage the situation and generally hector the southlings. Any evidence of an eminent attack would be responded by falling back into the castles into defensive positions while ravens are dispatched to Washington for reinforcements. It can only be hoped that the officials in Washington aren't too distracted by the War of the Two Parties to send fresh replacements.
Sounds like you have been watching too many science fiction movies.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:31 PM

295 posts, read 302,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Sounds like you have been watching too many science fiction movies.
I don't think I'm the only one.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:33 PM

12,738 posts, read 7,360,267 times
Fences never worked between East and West Germany. That's why they had to use Armed guards with machine guns that had orders to shoot to kill. We don't issue orders like that here in our country.
The border crossings are just a symptom of a greater problem. A fence would be just a giant band-aid treating the symptom and not the cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration