U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:51 AM

9,138 posts, read 6,505,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Here are two beliefs often held by conservatives. I just had a light bulb moment and realized that they're not in any way compatible:

"Immigration (legal or not) is bad because it takes jobs from Americans."
&&&
"If people are unhappy with their current economic situation, they should work to change it instead of demanding policies to get help from the government."

Thoughts?
You realize what many have known for awile. The Hypocrisy of the C-D flip-flopper. On the illegal immagration forum, they are screaming for the "American worker"..and on other forums, they blast protectionism and the low-skilled, low wage worker.

Epic flip-flopping that would have Mitt Romey's head spinnig.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:11 AM

31,915 posts, read 14,699,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
You realize what many have known for awile. The Hypocrisy of the C-D flip-flopper. On the illegal immagration forum, they are screaming for the "American worker"..and on other forums, they blast protectionism and the low-skilled, low wage worker.

What? I have never read in any forums from any who are anti-illegal immigration at the same time demonizing low skilled American workers.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:30 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,342,384 times
Quote:

Stop it, please.

I'm gonna say that MOST Americans would prefer to have "low wage, low skilled workers" IF they're US citizens over ILLEGAL aliens doing the same kind of work. Too; MOST of those jobs done by illegal aliens are NOT in agriculture.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:52 PM

9,138 posts, read 6,505,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Stop it, please.

I'm gonna say that MOST Americans would prefer to have "low wage, low skilled workers" IF they're US citizens over ILLEGAL aliens doing the same kind of work. Too; MOST of those jobs done by illegal aliens are NOT in agriculture.

Most Americans may prefer to have Americans over illegals doing low wage-low skilled workers, but not many Americans are taking low wage-low skilled jobs.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Most Americans may prefer to have Americans over illegals doing low wage-low skilled workers, but not many Americans are taking low wage-low skilled jobs.
If they aren't getting them it is because the employers are hiring cheap, illegal labor instead.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,527 posts, read 50,927,768 times
Unless you are 100% Native American, all of us have ancestors that came from another country. Mine came from Europe in the 1920s. But guess what, they did it legally, learned the language and everything else they needed to become US citizens as soon as possible, worked hard and paid taxes.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Unless you are 100% Native American, all of us have ancestors that came from another country. Mine came from Europe in the 1920s. But guess what, they did it legally, learned the language and everything else they needed to become US citizens as soon as possible, worked hard and paid taxes.
Even the so-called native Americans migrated here from somewhere else.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:06 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,022,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
What was "everything else they needed to become US citizens"?...

Old 05-11-2013, 06:15 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,923,670 times
Quote:
I keep hearing this argument and yet where are the facts to support it.
American dairy farmers are low paid hard working and yet continue to do the job. I know I grew up on such a farm, I am surrounded by such farms and believe it or not they don't seem to be hiring illegals. I do enough welding and repairs around the local farms I might have noticed a non English speaking illegal.
Construction. Well illegals have flooded this market working as drywallers, laborers and other areas. How? Well when the contractor pays $8 or 10 an hour and its tax free it that's like someone making 10 to 14 an hour.
Here where I live it's local kids working the McDonalds and BK. The local landscapers? I see locals working for them.
Maybe its the fact that this area wouldn't tolerate someone sending an illegal to work in their yard.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:29 AM

18,563 posts, read 15,822,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Here are two beliefs often held by conservatives. I just had a light bulb moment and realized that they're not in any way compatible:

"Immigration (legal or not) is bad because it takes jobs from Americans."
&&&
"If people are unhappy with their current economic situation, they should work to change it instead of demanding policies to get help from the government."

Thoughts?
You should read the comments a NY Times article about immigration. You'll quickly learn it's not only conservatives who are against illegal immigration and mass immigration in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or