U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2007, 01:43 PM
 
238 posts, read 1,018,881 times
Reputation: 220

Advertisements

If Rudy Giuliani becomes President he has promised the business community a free ride regarding illegals. He will add to border enforcement but will do nothing about the illegals who are already in the country. He will see that local governments and States are not allowed to enforce their own immigration laws and employers will not be bothered.

It looks like he will be the candidate for the Republican Party and Hillary Clinton will be for the Democratic Party. She is for an open border so expect who ever is elected to allow illegals already in the country to get a free pass.

The Associated Press: Giuliani: Illegals Are a Federal Problem (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Federal officials are "trying to put the responsibility for this on employers, on city government, on state government," the former New York mayor said during a conference call arranged by the National Federation of Independent Businesses.

"The simple fact is, nobody but the federal government can stop people from coming into this country illegally, and the federal government does a very bad job of that," Giuliani said.

He said no other presidential candidate will solve the problem.
"If you elect a Democrat, they're just going to open the borders, and more illegals are going to come in," he said.
"And if you elect one of my (Republican) opponents, they want to crack down on cities and states, and they want to crack down on businesses, but they don't want to solve the problem," he said. "If I become president, in a very short while, you will not be able to walk into the United States without identifying yourselves."
I think Giuiliani takes the most reasonable approach.

America is not ready for open borders yet, and has to deal with this in a sensitive manner.
Hardline deporters will not work IMO, it is too costly and too inhumane. Raids are too disturbing, there are far worse crimes out there.

Giuiliani's approach is a fair one, it is hard to retroactively fix a problem like this.

Last edited by Mach50; 11-01-2007 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,589 posts, read 2,972,613 times
Reputation: 533
Add him to the list of candidates I won't be voting for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 02:46 PM
 
2,432 posts, read 6,003,968 times
Reputation: 1009
I won't be voting for Rudy either, and I don't think he'll get the republican nod either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,589 posts, read 2,972,613 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I won't be voting for Rudy either, and I don't think he'll get the republican nod either.
If he gets the Republican nod, the Republicans are sure to lose...unless he runs against Hillary, in which case I wouldn't want to say who would win.

I'm not impressed with either party's crop of candidates. I'm not nuts about Hillary, and I voted for Clinton in 1996 and Gore in 2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Northern VA (for now)
23,001 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Reputation: 30382
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post

I'm not impressed with either party's crop of candidates.
I'm not too impressed with either side's frontrunners. The only ones who take any favorable approach towards illegals are Thompson and Paul. I'm kinda pesimistic about Thompson and Paul's chances but i hope and pray that our next president dont have the last name of either Obama, Guilaini, McCain, Clinton, or Edwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,589 posts, read 2,972,613 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm not too impressed with either side's frontrunners. The only ones who take any favorable approach towards illegals are Thompson and Paul. I'm kinda pesimistic about Thompson and Paul's chances but i hope and pray that our next president dont have the last name of either Obama, Guilaini, McCain, Clinton, or Edwards.
I'd say Clinton and Giuliani have the best chances right now...cos that's what the TV says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 04:06 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Reputation: 138
Ron Paul Ftw!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 06:15 PM
 
1,393 posts, read 2,490,169 times
Reputation: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
If Rudy Giuliani becomes President he has promised the business community a free ride regarding illegals. He will add to border enforcement but will do nothing about the illegals who are already in the country. He will see that local governments and States are not allowed to enforce their own immigration laws and employers will not be bothered.

It looks like he will be the candidate for the Republican Party and Hillary Clinton will be for the Democratic Party. She is for an open border so expect who ever is elected to allow illegals already in the country to get a free pass.

The Associated Press: Giuliani: Illegals Are a Federal Problem

If he gets elected that is not up to him to let all illegals have a free ride....and that's why he should not be elected..If he would open his eyes and watch what bush has tried he see that..He would just be the president and not the federal....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 06:18 PM
 
1,393 posts, read 2,490,169 times
Reputation: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Ron Paul Ftw!!!

We'll give you one Grey Davis for one Ron Paul....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top