U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 03:15 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times

Advertisements

The contentious illegal immigration issue has caused me to wonder, how can we have a discussion about the TRUE nature of the controversy, yet at the same time avoid "playing the race card" by either side?
The easiest example that came to mind is to call it what it is---basically an economic, labor-oriented "turf war". Illegals have been here from the beginning. Now that they "threaten" the middle class, all "H*ll" has broken loose.
Perhaps it would be valuable to go back and look at some of the horrendous conflicts in American labor. Organized labor (unions) banded together to protect powerless worker from greedy management. When a strike was called, management sometimes reacted by calling in "scabs" to take up the strikers' jobs--usually at lower pay.

Horrible violence resulted. Killings, bombings. beatings, imprisonment, tear-gassing, intimidation, and massive arson and property damage resulted from some of these strikes. Hired "thugs" battled with angry strikers, who often turned their violent wrath upon the "scabs". In one instance, striking coal miners in Kentucky, driven from their "company housing" and living in tents, were actually BOMBED from airplanes (summoned by the Coal Operators)....

In the final analysis, ALL of this strife was because of one thing--One "group" of workers was willing to move in on another group, and "underbid" them, work "cheaper", and, with management's blessing, TAKE AWAY THEIR JOBS.

Are there any parallels between these labor "wars" and modern-day illegal immigration? Not so much a "racial" issue, isn't it really a matter of one group seeing the other group of threatening "its" livelihood?

Your comments would be interesting.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 03:52 PM

3,216 posts, read 1,766,851 times
I would agree with you to the extent that quite a few illegals seem to be going for more mainstream jobs rather than just picking crops. You do make a legitimate comparison to other ethnic groups who have come to the United States looking for a new life. However, it still comes down to the fact that it is NOT just an economic issue with this particular group of "immigrants". Most all of the other ethnic groups that came to the U.S. before, might very well have underbid, undermined, yada yada to get their piece of the American economic pie. But at the same time they worked just as hard to be "American", to assimilate, learn the language. No allowances were EVER made for them in that regard. In my opinion, that is what is fueling the resentment. Sure, illegals have been here for a long time but the attitude that they now have a right to the "American" dream without investing in what it takes to truly become an American is not helping their cause one bit.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:58 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Illegals should never pull out the race card when it comes to Illegal Immigration-- it really makes no sense at all. I'm Brown like them, do I agree with their want of open borders? No.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:34 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Illegals should never pull out the race card when it comes to Illegal Immigration-- it really makes no sense at all. I'm Brown like them, do I agree with their want of open borders? No.
Thanks for BOTH posts so far--toryturner, you've hit on an important point not often mentioned--probably due to a "cultural misunderstanding"--and that is the general, overall perception of "ingratitude" that seems to hover over the whole issue, I guarantee that if illegals ever had a "Thank you Uncle Sam" rally in downtown LA. they'd have gringos lined up to cheer them on, and offering to help them. Most of us are "suckers" for just a LITTLE praise and thanks.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:55 PM

3,936 posts, read 5,447,388 times
I disagree with the "threaten the middle class" idea. We got fed up with them constantly marching and protesting for more rights, when they automatically get free medical, food, monthly allotments, free denistry, education, scholarships. If there is 1 spanish speaking person in a class, we have to hire a teacher for that student, whether illegal or not. Give an inch, and they'll take a mile. We even provided adult tutoring to all who couldn't speak English. I'm a reading tutor for adults. We couldnt get many people at all to tutor! They didn't want to learn English. They said they didnt need to speak English. Yet, they want to take advantage of every other free thing and protest for more. We just got fed up. They brought it on themselves by protesting for their "rights." They are ungrateful. We hand out free Food Baskets for the hungry. No questions asked. These illegals every time ask things like who's gonna pay their rent? what about their utilities, who's gonna pay that? It gets old. Have a little pride and try supporting yourself for a change!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration