U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 12:57 PM

176 posts, read 219,824 times

Advertisements

Very interesting article by CNN contributer David Frum

"Controversial immigration report may be right"

So, math is still math and it doesn't matter, who presented it. Immigration Reform at the end will cost American taxpayers trillions of dollars and here is why:

Opinion: Controversial immigration report may be right - CNN.com
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 01:22 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,113,681 times
I agree.

They didn't like the message so they decided to attack the messenger.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:56 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,019,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I agree.

They didn't like the message so they decided to attack the messenger.
Well, the "messenger" did the math...

I'm surprised that Harvard (well, in many regards it isn't surprising, as George Borjas was Richwine's [sic] "Dissertation Advisor", the chairperson whom accepted it, and sourced within it) allowed this as a PhD dissertation, because Richwine makes the premise for needing immigrants with high I.Q.'s, but resolves it as "skills" at the end. "Skills" do not necessarily equate to having high I.Q.'s. It may not equate to monetary success, social skills, or being less of a burden to society.

In all reality, it appears that George Borjas was just trying to create the academic credentials of a like-minded immigration restrictionist...

Old 05-13-2013, 02:02 PM

31,886 posts, read 14,678,159 times
Immigration has to be restricted. It is common sense. We can't allow every foreigner in here that wants to come here. We do not have the jobs and resources to sustain them and we have to keep population growth in mind also. These are the very reasons that we have annual quotas. Illegal immigration and legalizing those who have broken our immigration laws negates that sane policy.

The findings of Heritage may or may not be completely accurate but legaliziing millions of illegals while millions of Americans are out of work makes no sense at all. They are mostly the undeducated and poor. They will be a net burden to our country regardless in many different ways. They already are without legalization.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:03 PM

10,946 posts, read 7,992,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

I'm surprised that Harvard (well, in many regards it isn't surprising, as George Borjas was Richwine's [sic] "Dissertation Advisor", the chairperson whom accepted it, and sourced within it) allowed this as a PhD dissertation, because Richwine makes the premise for needing immigrants with high I.Q.'s, but resolves it as "skills" at the end. "Skills" do not necessarily equate to having high I.Q.'s. It may not equate to monetary success, social skills, or being less of a burden to society.

In all reality, it appears that George Borjas was just trying to create the academic credentials of a like-minded immigration restrictionist...

Or he was relating absolute facts and telling the absolute truth. Two things we all know you cannot stand when it comes to your precious illegals.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:21 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,113,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

why isn't anyone else doing the math?

I am sure those numbers are conservative.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:22 PM

23,627 posts, read 31,265,068 times
Awesome article. If only more people were listening!

Old 05-13-2013, 03:39 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,310,745 times
Don't care for Frum usually. He is solid on immigration issues though.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetka_grunya View Post
Very interesting article by CNN contributer David Frum

"Controversial immigration report may be right"

So, math is still math and it doesn't matter, who presented it. Immigration Reform at the end will cost American taxpayers trillions of dollars and here is why:

Opinion: Controversial immigration report may be right - CNN.com
Understanding that Frum is pretty conservative himself, within a couple steps to be linked to The Heritage Foundation (and some present company) himself...

Old 05-16-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Don't care for Frum usually. He is solid on immigration issues though.
Canadian immigrant, which can have a predilection for only Canadian-resembling immigrants themselves...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or