U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2013, 07:51 AM
 
31,471 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8350

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticat View Post
I'm thinking that if it were so overwhelmingly popular, it would have passed a long time ago. Our politicians aren't generally known for doing things that are politically unpopular.
You're right. This so-called CIR aka amnesty thing has been kicked around for years. It isn't popular with the public and that is why it never gets passed and it never will. It has just been a tool used to garner votes from the Hispanic community and they fall for it hook, line and sinker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2013, 01:12 PM
 
Location: CHicago, United States
6,936 posts, read 6,990,802 times
Reputation: 3487
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticat View Post
I'm thinking that if it were so overwhelmingly popular, it would have passed a long time ago. Our politicians aren't generally known for doing things that are politically unpopular.
Another example: the recent firearms registration legislation which failed in the U.S. Senate. There's widespread, huge amounts of support for that nationwise - across party lines - yet the Senate did the bidding and acted on behalf of the NRA in opposing the legislation. Happens all the time. There's no doubt that there's strong support in the USA for immigration reform. Strong support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 01:35 PM
 
31,471 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8350
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Another example: the recent firearms registration legislation which failed in the U.S. Senate. There's widespread, huge amounts of support for that nationwise - across party lines - yet the Senate did the bidding and acted on behalf of the NRA in opposing the legislation. Happens all the time. There's no doubt that there's strong support in the USA for immigration reform. Strong support.
Reforming some of our immigration laws in regards to legal immigration perhaps but not amnesty for illegal immigrants and least of all a path to citizenship. There is nothing being proposed to reform our laws on illegal immigration nor our enforcement of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 01:55 PM
 
Location: CHicago, United States
6,936 posts, read 6,990,802 times
Reputation: 3487
Amnesty is not included in the legislation being considered by the U.S. Senate, and the Republican and Democratic sponsors have so written and testified. There's a clear majority of Americans who favor a path to citizenship, a path which the fortunate who follow it will last about 15 years to complete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 02:15 PM
 
31,471 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8350
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Amnesty is not included in the legislation being considered by the U.S. Senate, and the Republican and Democratic sponsors have so written and testified. There's a clear majority of Americans who favor a path to citizenship, a path which the fortunate who follow it will last about 15 years to complete.
In the same vein as I said there is no reform being proposed that would change our policies nor the enforcement of them in regards to illegal immigration for the future.

Keep dreaming that the majority of Americans favor this law and especially a path to citizenship. They don't! I am in the thick of this issue so I know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 10:47 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Another example: the recent firearms registration legislation which failed in the U.S. Senate. There's widespread, huge amounts of support for that nationwise - across party lines - yet the Senate did the bidding and acted on behalf of the NRA in opposing the legislation. Happens all the time. There's no doubt that there's strong support in the USA for immigration reform. Strong support.
Not after people find out what's in the bill -- how the illegals won't really have to pay back taxes or social security to the IRS and how very low the fines and fees are.

Even the illegals are souring on this bill -- they're angry that the illegals who showed up a week ago or those yet to come might not get in on this amnesty so easily. They're angry as they're finding out that they can only bring minor children, not the full family reunification they've been demanding. And there's something about a work requirement that is angering many -- even with all the tax exemptions being given to the illegals on food stamps and welfare handouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 10:50 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Amnesty is not included in the legislation being considered by the U.S. Senate, and the Republican and Democratic sponsors have so written and testified. There's a clear majority of Americans who favor a path to citizenship, a path which the fortunate who follow it will last about 15 years to complete.
There is no need to hand them citizenship ever. Why should those who broke every law they chose to break actually be rewarded with US citizenship for making that choice?

Illegals aren't going to get mad and pack up their things and go back home if they aren't given citizenship. They might get mad of course but they'll go on living here however they can, it beats going home and actually doing anything for their own country like work for reform and change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2013, 05:34 PM
 
1,642 posts, read 1,307,599 times
Reputation: 706
The REALLY have to screw with the questions to get a positive result. If the politicians actually believed those polls,I am absolutely certain they would have already passed amnesty. What really tells the tale are if one could get a poll of calls,emails,letters pro and con on this issue. I gurantee it is 70/30 against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2013, 10:43 PM
 
3,847 posts, read 3,161,032 times
Reputation: 2437
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Public support for immigration reform has been overwhelming, as a poll you posted this morning attested to. No, this "thing" won't die ... unless the American-haters have their way.
What a ridiculous post. You must mean the America haters from Mexico THAT refuse to obey US laws and leach like parasites off US citizen taxpayers while crying about their fictitious rights ???

Why don't they grow a spine and deal with THEIR problems back in beloved Mexico ?

At least the Arabs in Syria and many places in the middle east have enough courage to try and deal with their problems back in their homelands instead of fleeing to the US expecting AND demanding welfare and other freebies ?

The only real public support for this travesty is from cheap/criminal agribusiness owners and those standing out front of Home Depot looking for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 07:39 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
What a ridiculous post. You must mean the America haters from Mexico THAT refuse to obey US laws and leach like parasites off US citizen taxpayers while crying about their fictitious rights ???

Why don't they grow a spine and deal with THEIR problems back in beloved Mexico ?

At least the Arabs in Syria and many places in the middle east have enough courage to try and deal with their problems back in their homelands instead of fleeing to the US expecting AND demanding welfare and other freebies ?

The only real public support for this travesty is from cheap/criminal agribusiness owners and those standing out front of Home Depot looking for work.
And on top of that -- Mexico is a democracy. They could work for change through their own political process, they could work to get out the vote --- in their own country.

Another way people in Mexico improve their lives is to finish their education because Mexico has both private and public schools, they can delay the start of a family until they have an education and job and marriage, and limit family size to what they can afford --- that's what actually is leading to the growning middle class in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top