U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:37 PM

9,138 posts, read 6,481,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
What should never be up for discussion is a reward for criminal behavior.
What should be and what is...are two different realities.

Quote:
Federal public benefit programs. Individuals granted RPI status, “blue card” status (agricultural workers), and V nonimmigrant visas will not be eligible for the following “federal means-tested public benefits” programs: nonemergency Medicaid, Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP or food stamps), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) for the duration of their provisional status.

When most of these individuals adjust to LPR status, they will be forced to wait at least five additional years before becoming eligible for these programs. As a result, an individual with RPI status who is otherwise eligible for public benefits would not be able to enroll in programs such as Medicaid and SNAP for 15 years.
Summary & Analysis: The Senate Bill as Introduced - National Immigration Law Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 07:41 PM

31,471 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post

Summary & Analysis: The Senate Bill as Introduced - National Immigration Law Center
One anchor and they will be entitled to those programs through them.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:10 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,307,363 times
Noone who votes for this can call themselves a fiscal conservative.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:11 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Quote:

So what other crimes should we reward and what should the criteria be?
What do we tell the millions who are waiting having followed the rules and obeyed the laws.
The law says in order to drive on the road we need insurance. Should also reward uninsured drivers?
Please I am serious explain to me why illegals deserve this gift. What have they done to earn such a reward?

Old 05-22-2013, 09:23 PM

16,694 posts, read 8,635,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
So what other crimes should we reward and what should the criteria be?
What do we tell the millions who are waiting having followed the rules and obeyed the laws.
The law says in order to drive on the road we need insurance. Should also reward uninsured drivers?
Please I am serious explain to me why illegals deserve this gift. What have they done to earn such a reward?
They will vote for democrats, duh.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:17 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,870,497 times
Quote:

The Fed has 83 means tested programs and they only listed 5 that they are not eligible for.
That means they can apply to the other 78 which includes Obamacare.

These are the 5 (from your link):

nonemergency Medicaid,
Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP),
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP or food stamps),
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) for the duration of their provisional status.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:32 PM

11,626 posts, read 17,035,814 times
I am getting ready to become a US citizen myself. I have my interview in a couple of weeks and then a swearing in sometime in September.
I came here in 1999. I paid for my green card. I have worked the entire time, payed my taxes, never broken the law... I have done everything by the book.
I have to take an English test, written and verbal. All of us who does this the legal way are required to.
I wish my fees were waved too.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:43 PM

156 posts, read 111,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I am getting ready to become a US citizen myself. I have my interview in a couple of weeks and then a swearing in sometime in September.
I came here in 1999. I paid for my green card. I have worked the entire time, payed my taxes, never broken the law... I have done everything by the book.
I have to take an English test, written and verbal. All of us who does this the legal way are required to.
I wish my fees were waved too.
Welcome!

Old 05-23-2013, 10:39 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Noone who votes for this can call themselves a fiscal conservative.
Nor could they call themselves pro-environment or pro-jobs for Americans.

It's all about rewarding foreigners who have zero respect for this country and it's laws.

Many who would have liked to come here legally, would have obeyed the laws will now lose a chance. And employers of illegals again get their free pass around the labor laws.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:49 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,057,966 times
What I wonder is when they remove the threat of deportation, will what are the illegal immigrants now be in a position to demand higher wages and once set up with public assistance, why work at jobs that pay $7.00 per hour without benefits that amount to nothing? We already have plenty of citizens collecting public assistance because it can end up amounting to more than the low wages without benefits. KS businesses love illegals but I am wondering what the cost of this immigration reform will be for states like KS that have encouraged illegal workers to make their homes here especially since our taxes are already sky high. Hasn't the norm become rewarding the criminals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration