Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Immigration enforcement should be the responsibility of the Federal Government only
In all cases immigration laws is the responsibility of the Federal Government 4 30.77%
State Governments should enforce their own immigration laws 1 7.69%
What ever law enforcement person comes in contact with the illegals first should arrest them 8 61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 07:35 AM

238 posts, read 1,144,465 times

Advertisements

Over and over, I hear from people who want open borders that Cities and States have no business enforcing federal immgration law. They say immigration is a federal issue. I wonder if most people still believe this.

The border should be enforced by the federal government but I think local and state police need to step in and enforce the law in the countries interior in the absence of the necessary support of the federal government. As our nation gets larger, the federal government will have a harder time controlling our country. More responsibility will fall on state and local government. I am afraid immigration enforcement will be one of those issues. Do you agree or disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 08:43 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
I disagree. Like the national defense, immigration needs to be coordinated by a central government. After all, it is federal law and not state or local law that labels people "illegal."

I believe it is a violation of states' rights for the federal government to require states to enforce backwards federal immigration laws. If you leave enforcement up to the states, then each state should have the right to decide who is illegal within their territory and who is not--and that's an unworkable situation from the get-go.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:49 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Country Lines = Federal Issue
State Lines = State Issue

Illegal entry is declared at the Country line.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:19 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Yes, it's a federal law, but I don't understand why states have to disobey those laws, like the feds are doing.

Why can't individual states apply the federal law that is on the books, if the feds refuse to do it themselves?

I would think that it would be lawful to do that. Why would it be unlawful for a state to obey a federal law? That's what people seem to mean when they say, "it's up to the federal government".

Well, the Federal Govt. has laws on the books, so they've done their job, and each state can uphold those laws. Why can't both the federal govt. and the state govt. uphold the same federal laws?

Old 11-02-2007, 09:26 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
You "immigrate" from country to country, not state-to-state. The fact that the "Feds" aren't doing their job is beside the point. The "Minute Men" are also doing what the Feds will not do--and are tremendously unpopular for their efforts. They have earned the hostility of both illegals AND law-enforcement....

Old 11-02-2007, 09:28 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You "immigrate" from country to country, not state-to-state. The fact that the "Feds" aren't doing their job is beside the point. The "Minute Men" are also doing what the Feds will not do--and are tremendously unpopular for their efforts. They have earned the hostility of both illegals AND law-enforcement....
Minute-Men are unpopular because it is pretty much an all white A-Team. Which may say something.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:32 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
The minute-men are QUITE popular with many citizens.

Our Constitution says that the federal govt. has to protect states from illegal invasion, and they are not doing it. Sometimes, the citizens must stand up and do it themselves, unfortunately.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:35 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
And guess who issues passports?

Old 11-02-2007, 10:26 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Minute-Men are unpopular because it is pretty much an all white A-Team. Which may say something.
The group actually has a number Hispanic members and backers---Al Garza of Arizona is one among many. I'd hate to think the opposition to the Minute Men was because "they're White"....and it's certainly not because "they're aggressive"---(they are unarmed old guys with binoculars).

If a person was honest, I think the worst that could be said about The Minute Men is that they are "pests"....and that they are an "embarrassment". They shouldn't exist at all. In this sense, the fact that they DO exist serves as an embarrassment to the "Feds", who SHOULD be stopping the illegals that the Minute Men are "observing"---if the Feds did their job, the Minute Men would get bored and go home.

Even the top "Fed", Bush, has never made a coherent mention of this group. Once, he mumbled that he "doesn't like vigilantes"...then refused to comment further.

The Minute Men are equivalent to a Neighborhood Watch group. These groups exist when the proper authorities are unable, or unwilling, to do the job they were hired to do. Neighborhood Watch members are not vigilantes.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:35 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I wonder what Bush would do if hundreds of illegals per day crossed his ranch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration