Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:43 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,859,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
The ironic thing about "go back home and apply for a green card", is not so easy for those that entered the country "legally" on visas and over stayed. Under current law if they self deport, they are banned from re applying for 10 years. On the other hand a Mexican that jumped the border illegally could just walk right back into Mexico and immediately apply for a visa.
They should have thought about that BEFORE they CHOSE to embark on that course of action.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:03 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,643,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
The ironic thing about "go back home and apply for a green card", is not so easy for those that entered the country "legally" on visas and over stayed. Under current law if they self deport, they are banned from re applying for 10 years. On the other hand a Mexican that jumped the border illegally could just walk right back into Mexico and immediately apply for a visa.
They should be banned. This new bill does the opposite.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:18 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,643,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I certainly hope so.

Even the illegals are souring on that Senate bill -- they want absolutely no limits on immigration, they're very angry that illegals coming after 2011 might find some restrictions, they were expecting instant citizenship and most assumed family reunification that was promised them really meant family the way they culturally view family which is the whole very extended family. They didn't think it was going to be defined and limited to the American definition of family which is legal spouse and minor children.

The illegals are insisting that $500 fees are too high and they should not have to pay them. They too are not happy with the Senate bill so unless the House bill is far more lax then the illegals will not like it.
First thing we need to do is punish illegal immigration heavily like other countries do. Then we won't have this problem in the first place.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:41 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,225,283 times
JUST IN, 6:15 p.m: "Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah, long considered a Republican swing vote on the 18-member Senate Judiciary Committee, announced Tuesday night that he will vote the comprehensive immigration reform bill out of committee after the panel approved language relaxing restrictions on employers seeking to hire foreign workers for high-tech jobs....the bill would initially raise the cap the number of H1-B visas from 65,000 to 110,000 -- with provisions to increase that number to 180,000."

EVERY TIME I THINK WASHINGTON COULDN'T DISGUST AND OUTRAGE ME MORE, I'm proven wrong. Sending our best jobs overseas and setting high levels of immigration which lowered wages and increased already-high unemployment was not enough. Now highly-skilled Americans will be increasingly replaced by low-paid new immigrants, while those who don't lose their jobs entirely can look forward to lower wages and compensation.

It's real nice to know my husband and I (and our ancestors) have paid a fortune in taxes to Washington, so they can pass laws to make it EASY for our Big Business employers to import foreigners to do our jobs for poverty-level pay. Am I really the only American left who cares that Washington is destroying my future and that of everyone coming after me, as it continually serves Big Business while sacrificing Americans who pay a HUGE part of our income to support it?

If you work in a high-tech job, you know very well THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF QUALIFIED AMERICAN APPLICANTS. Now even the most highly skilled and educated Americans can kiss their jobs and their secure future goodbye. Bright young Americans studying hard for their STEM degrees can now compete with a massive influx of foreigners with degrees willing to accept poverty-level wages.

And let's not forget: existing high-tech professionals in their peak earning years generally have no tax-deductible children and pay a disproportionate amount of income taxes--my spouse and I, for instance, who pay over $40,000 in income tax each year. While a couple earning $100,000 will get a BIG income tax bill, two couples making $50,000 each probably pays NO income taxes. So any high-tech professional that gets replaced with a lower-paid foreigner is a HUGE loss to the income tax system, even ignoring the fact that the foreigner is much more likely to have tax-deductible children (and more children than a native-born family). This loss of federal tax revenue alone means that either taxes go up yet again, or the Fed prints more fiat currency and decreases the value of every American's pay and savings while simultaneously increasing interest costs.

Of course, it's not just high-tech workers who will pay if this passes. Many currently illegal immigrants would be immediately eligible for full welfare benefits, including cash assistance, food assistance, and health care. https://www.numbersusa.com/content/n...-sessions.html By 13 years, all would be fully eligible.

This MUST increase welfare costs significantly, since "57 percent of households headed by an immigrant (legal and illegal) with children under 18 used at least one welfare program, compared to 39 percent for native households with children" (Welfare Use by Immigrant Households with Children | Center for Immigration Studies). When excluding immigrants from non-hispanic countries England and Canada, the rate of welfare use is even higher, with Mexican immigrants having a 75% welfare rate. Welfare Use by Immigrant Households with Children | Center for Immigration Studies

Furthermore, increased welfare costs are likely permanent, since the majority of immigrants are Hispanic, whose economic progress once here stalls at the third generation, where they remain substantially poorer than whites (The congealing pot--today's immigrants are different from waves past - Society and Culture - AEI).

I'm contacting my elected representatives, even knowing the fix is already in for Big Business. We all should. If everyone was mad enough, Washington wouldn't be able to continually destroy our lives, and the futures of our children.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:48 PM

62,621 posts, read 28,812,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
JUST IN, 6:15 p.m: "Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah, long considered a Republican swing vote on the 18-member Senate Judiciary Committee, announced Tuesday night that he will vote the comprehensive immigration reform bill out of committee after the panel approved language relaxing restrictions on employers seeking to hire foreign workers for high-tech jobs....the bill would initially raise the cap the number of H1-B visas from 65,000 to 110,000 -- with provisions to increase that number to 180,000."

EVERY TIME I THINK WASHINGTON COULDN'T DISGUST AND OUTRAGE ME MORE, I'm proven wrong. Sending our best jobs overseas and setting high levels of immigration which lowered wages and increased already-high unemployment was not enough. Now highly-skilled Americans will be increasingly replaced by low-paid new immigrants, while those who don't lose their jobs entirely can look forward to lower wages and compensation.

It's real nice to know my husband and I (and our ancestors) have paid a fortune in taxes to Washington, so they can pass laws to make it EASY for our Big Business employers to import foreigners to do our jobs for poverty-level pay. Am I really the only American left who cares that Washington is destroying my future and that of everyone coming after me, as it continually serves Big Business while sacrificing Americans who pay a HUGE part of our income to support it?

If you work in a high-tech job, you know very well THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF QUALIFIED AMERICAN APPLICANTS. Now even the most highly skilled and educated Americans can kiss their jobs and their secure future goodbye. Bright young Americans studying hard for their STEM degrees can now compete with a massive influx of foreigners with degrees willing to accept poverty-level wages.

And let's not forget: existing high-tech professionals in their peak earning years generally have no tax-deductible children and pay a disproportionate amount of income taxes--my spouse and I, for instance, who pay over $40,000 in income tax each year. While a couple earning $100,000 will get a BIG income tax bill, two couples making $50,000 each probably pays NO income taxes. So any high-tech professional that gets replaced with a lower-paid foreigner is a HUGE loss to the income tax system, even ignoring the fact that the foreigner is much more likely to have tax-deductible children (and more children than a native-born family). This loss of federal tax revenue alone means that either taxes go up yet again, or the Fed prints more fiat currency and decreases the value of every American's pay and savings while simultaneously increasing interest costs.

Of course, it's not just high-tech workers who will pay if this passes. Many currently illegal immigrants would be immediately eligible for full welfare benefits, including cash assistance, food assistance, and health care. https://www.numbersusa.com/content/n...-sessions.html By 13 years, all would be fully eligible.

This MUST increase welfare costs significantly, since "57 percent of households headed by an immigrant (legal and illegal) with children under 18 used at least one welfare program, compared to 39 percent for native households with children" (Welfare Use by Immigrant Households with Children | Center for Immigration Studies). When excluding immigrants from non-hispanic countries England and Canada, the rate of welfare use is even higher, with Mexican immigrants having a 75% welfare rate. Welfare Use by Immigrant Households with Children | Center for Immigration Studies

Furthermore, increased welfare costs are likely permanent, since the majority of immigrants are Hispanic, whose economic progress once here stalls at the third generation, where they remain substantially poorer than whites (The congealing pot--today's immigrants are different from waves past - Society and Culture - AEI).

I'm contacting my elected representatives, even knowing the fix is already in for Big Business. We all should. If everyone was mad enough, Washington wouldn't be able to continually destroy our lives, and the futures of our children.
We law abiding, loyal citizens feel your pain, believe me. This battle is far from over just like the last time that amnesty was pushed and failed. With outsourcing of American jobs and the importation of foreigners to do what jobs are left I don't know what Washington is thinking.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:55 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,147,614 times
Everyone who worked on this bill or who supports it is a traitor, plain and simple.

We need to make a list of everyone who supported this bill and campaign feverishly for their opponents in the next election.

THROW THE TRAITORS OUT.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:20 AM

50,106 posts, read 46,707,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The whole thing is absurd. There's no need to pass a bill to "reform." There's already been a path to citizenship for over 60 years.

Go back home, apply for green card and become a citizen like every law abiding immigrant!!!
But.....tomatoes will be 352 dollars each!

Old 05-22-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Everyone who worked on this bill or who supports it is a traitor, plain and simple.

We need to make a list of everyone who supported this bill and campaign feverishly for their opponents in the next election.

THROW THE TRAITORS OUT.
Unfortunately, many of these congress critters have been elected to office by districts and states where there is a large number of liberals and ethnocentrics who are ok with rewarding illegal immigrants with another amnesty and will continue to vote for those already in office everytime a new election comes up.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,147,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Unfortunately, many of these congress critters have been elected to office by districts and states where there is a large number of liberals and ethnocentrics who are ok with rewarding illegal immigrants with another amnesty and will continue to vote for those already in office everytime a new election comes up.
I'm a leftie and I voted for Pete Sessions for Congress. Look him up.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm a leftie and I voted for Pete Sessions for Congress. Look him up.
Good for you! I know all about him. He is a true patriot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration