U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 PM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,712,131 times
Reputation: 299

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
No, I'm saying it would have to be defined some other way because Western Europe does not have one common language.

That's an extremely vague answer. Can you elaborate?
Vague answer? Western Culture dates back to the Greeks and Romans, and influenced by Christianity from there.

Can I elaborate? Do you want a history lesson of Western Culture? I gave you a starting point, go from there.

 
Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,766 posts, read 12,748,545 times
Reputation: 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Where Europeans culpable for exposing small pox and various other diseases upon Indians? Was it intentional? Your own book states that most Europeans saw the natives as being equals not that Europeans were superior.

Again, your inability to comprehend even your own referenced material limits you to projection of ignorance based on you ability to comprehend the discussion.
No, that is not what it says. You've now resorted to making things up about something you haven't even read. You are the epitome of intellectual dishonesty.
 
Old 05-21-2013, 03:22 PM
 
31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
It is speculation non-the-less. It is Mann's interpretation based on the evidence he used. I too have read the book when it first came out. Nothing in that book disputes anything I have stated in my comments. In fact, it disputed your claims.

Again, Mann is being speculative based on his interpretation of the evidence he is using. He is no historian, he holds no credentials other than a journalist. His book is thought provoking, nothing more.
The so-called natives committed plenty of atrocities against the European settlers also. Besides what does all this history have to do with our right to have and enforce our immigration laws today? Those people in history are all dead now on both sides. The so-called natives that were indigenous to this country are all full fledged U.S. citizens today. So what's the beef?
 
Old 05-21-2013, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,766 posts, read 12,748,545 times
Reputation: 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Vague answer? Western Culture dates back to the Greeks and Romans, and influenced by Christianity from there.

Can I elaborate? Do you want a history lesson of Western Culture? I gave you a starting point, go from there.
I'm asking how you specifically define "Western Culture". What are the tangible characteristics of it and how does it relate to the US today?
 
Old 05-21-2013, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,766 posts, read 12,748,545 times
Reputation: 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The so-called natives committed plenty of atrocities against the European settlers also. Besides what does all this history have to do with our right to have and enforce our immigration laws today? Those people in history are all dead now on both sides. The so-called natives that were indigenous to this country are all full fledged U.S. citizens today. So what's the beef?
Translation: "History makes my head hurt and I don't have anything to add to the discussion. Can we please get back to calling Mexicans welfare addicts?"
 
Old 05-21-2013, 03:27 PM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,712,131 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Are you not agreeing with the poster who stated that the US was in danger of losing its culture because of all these illegal immigrants? Didn't you reply to my response to him asking which culture the US was in danger of losing? Haven't you been attempting to define "Western Culture" as the same as American? Wouldn't all these immigrants who don't share that culture help further the process of the US losing it? Just seems like the logical conclusion that if you don't like Hispanics (and it's not about the legality), then you should also not like the rest.
There you go attempting to project that people are racist based on your "logical conclusions".

If a legal immigrant wants to come here, they are well aware that they will need to adapt to our cultural norms. They do so with the intention of wanting to remain here and become citizens. Illegals come here simply for monetary gain, their own economic gain. Some wish to remain here, mostly because they had children born here and believe that raising them in our culture is simply better then the culture they left, based mostly on opportunity for their child in the future.
 
Old 05-21-2013, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,766 posts, read 12,748,545 times
Reputation: 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
There you go attempting to project that people are racist based on your "logical conclusions".

If a legal immigrant wants to come here, they are well aware that they will need to adapt to our cultural norms. They do so with the intention of wanting to remain here and become citizens. Illegals come here simply for monetary gain, their own economic gain. Some wish to remain here, mostly because they had children born here and believe that raising them in our culture is simply better then the culture they left, based mostly on opportunity for their child in the future.
Where is it in US law that immigrants must adapt to vague "cultural norms"? The nation doesn't even have an official language... or religion or food or dress or... well we could just go on and on. Wouldn't you kind of need those things to actually be in violation of them?

I don't know about you, but I also do a lot of things for monetary gain. I do kind of fancy living in a house, being able to buy things... eating. Gosh, you just have to wonder if that motivates illegals too. Or you know, most people on the planet.
 
Old 05-21-2013, 03:32 PM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,712,131 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
It is not just one book or one guy. This evidence has been building for decades and is now regularly published in articles/books talking about this period. Whether or not you want to accept it, I really don't care.
I've accepted the ideals the book puts forth along time ago, you need to go back and research my comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You haven't even read the book. Reading selected negative Amazon reviews does not make you an expert on its contents.
I pointed to an Amazon review (which was not negative in any way to Mann) to make my point, I no longer have the book, I read it in 2006.
 
Old 05-21-2013, 03:48 PM
 
16,704 posts, read 8,643,559 times
Reputation: 4691
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Where is it in US law that immigrants must adapt to vague "cultural norms"? The nation doesn't even have an official language... or religion or food or dress or... well we could just go on and on. Wouldn't you kind of need those things to actually be in violation of them?

I don't know about you, but I also do a lot of things for monetary gain. I do kind of fancy living in a house, being able to buy things... eating. Gosh, you just have to wonder if that motivates illegals too. Or you know, most people on the planet.
Regardless what reason you have for immigrating to USA or any country, you need to do so LEGALLY!!!

Why is this so hard for people to understand? If you are a politician from the Democrat party, I understand why you favor amnesty though.
 
Old 05-21-2013, 04:03 PM
 
31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8365
No one has said that it is a U.S. law that immigrants have to assimiate that isn't the point. But why come here if you don't want to be a part of our cultural society? It is rude not to. Are we just a cash cow for opportunists then? Geez, comparing Americans earning a living in their own country has nothing to do with assimilation because most Americans are already assimilated. Our cuture is not vague either. English may not be our official language but it is our national de facto language and spoken by the majority of Americans. Even congress declared it our "national" language a few years back. One can hardly succeed in this country without knowing English.

With both legal and illegal immigration coming from mostly one ethnic group these days that is not condusive to assimilaltion but colonization instead. That is why I would like to see us get back to diversity in those numbers. The first Europeans were from several different countries all with different cultures and languages unlike today's "immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top