Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 03:07 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,071,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
What makes up this "Western Culture", exactly? It's not a common language, obviously, so what else?
Surely you don't think culture is defined by language alone, do you? Western culture is defined by heritage, social, ethical, traditional values, customs, beliefs, and political systems.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:07 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,008,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
LOL! The Spanish were white also. Apparently to want our immigration laws enforced is racist and a white superiority thing according to....well you know. Are Mexicans superior and racist for wanting the immigration laws of their country enforced?
Racism is not race-specific in that anyone of any color, background, ethnicity or nationality can be one. Falling all over yourselves denying this about a certain group in which it is a historical given is just sticking your head in the sand. It's willful ignorance and there can be only one real reason why that is.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Surely you don't think culture is defined by language alone, do you? Western culture is defined by heritage, social, ethical, traditional values, customs, beliefs, and political systems.
No, I'm saying it would have to be defined some other way because Western Europe does not have one common language.

That's an extremely vague answer. Can you elaborate?

Old 05-21-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
So then I can only assume you would be for kicking out all legal immigrants who don't share this culture, either? There are millions of legal immigrants from Asia, Africa, the Americas, etc. These people aren't helping that along, so obviously from your perspective this is not good either.
WOW, where have I stated that I want people kicked out who don't share US Culture?

Old 05-21-2013, 03:14 PM

62,736 posts, read 28,944,698 times
It's always been about assimilation by immigrants to the main society including learning and speaking English. Otherwise why join our society? There is nothing wrong with practicing one's native culture and language at home and keeping it alive that way.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
The picture it paints is based on historical accounts, physical evidence through archeology, scientific deduction, etc. It's not simply out-of-thin-air speculation. And given that I've read it a few times over the years, I'm pretty familiar with what's in it. It covers North America plenty.
It is speculation non-the-less. It is Mann's interpretation based on the evidence he used. I too have read the book when it first came out. Nothing in that book disputes anything I have stated in my comments. In fact, it disputed your claims.

Quote:
Disease did play a significant role, but absolutely not the only one. Much of the death from disease occurred over about 100 years from first contact. It was not immediate and there was plenty that these European "settlers" did to these people that was horrific by any standard. The book does not support you whatsoever, and your casual glance at the book's description in a review or jacket cover just makes you seem lazy.
Again, Mann is being speculative based on his interpretation of the evidence he is using. He is no historian, he holds no credentials other than a journalist. His book is thought provoking, nothing more.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
WOW, where have I stated that I want people kicked out who don't share US Culture?
Are you not agreeing with the poster who stated that the US was in danger of losing its culture because of all these illegal immigrants? Didn't you reply to my response to him asking which culture the US was in danger of losing? Haven't you been attempting to define "Western Culture" as the same as American? Wouldn't all these immigrants who don't share that culture help further the process of the US losing it? Just seems like the logical conclusion that if you don't like Hispanics (and it's not about the legality), then you should also not like the rest.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's always been about assimilation by immigrants to the main society including learning and speaking English. Otherwise why join our society? There is nothing wrong with practicing one's native culture and language at home.
And again, assimilation is a generational process. It always has been and always will be. Hispanic immigrants, particularly their subsequent generations, will follow the exact same assimilation process that all other groups before them have.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
They're your words. You seem to have a particularly strong aversion for holding White Europeans culpable for anything. How many reasonable explanations for this are possible? No actual evidence supports this position, so the only logical place it comes from would be a preconceived bias that White people are simply more civilized and "better".
Where Europeans culpable for exposing small pox and various other diseases upon Indians? Was it intentional? Your own book states that most Europeans saw the natives as being equals not that Europeans were superior.

Again, your inability to comprehend even your own referenced material limits you to projection of ignorance based on you ability to comprehend the discussion.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
It is speculation non-the-less. It is Mann's interpretation based on the evidence he used. I too have read the book when it first came out. Nothing in that book disputes anything I have stated in my comments. In fact, it disputed your claims.

Again, Mann is being speculative based on his interpretation of the evidence he is using. He is no historian, he holds no credentials other than a journalist. His book is thought provoking, nothing more.
It is not just one book or one guy. This evidence has been building for decades and is now regularly published in articles/books talking about this period. Whether or not you want to accept it, I really don't care.

You haven't even read the book. Reading selected negative Amazon reviews does not make you an expert on its contents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.