U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:10 AM

3,589 posts, read 2,998,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
OK answering phones in Spanish for the Spanish speaking crowd? If a company wants to support Spanish customers they are going to have to hire Spanish speaking workers right?

Poor example IMO.

If English is the language of business then how far can any NON-English Speaking person really go up?
I thought your analogy was kind of stupid too. The number of H1-Bs granted each year is a mere fraction of the number of illegals we have in this country, and most H1-B holders do not violate the terms of their visa.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:11 AM

9,077 posts, read 15,528,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I thought your analogy was kind of stupid too. The number of H1-Bs granted each year is a mere fraction of the number of illegals we have in this country, and most H1-B holders do not violate the terms of their visa.
You are missing the point though, if H1-B violators can speak english they can take high paying American jobs.

If Illegal Spanish speaking people do not speak English they really cannot take high paying American jobs.

It is not about the numbers at all right? It is about the principle of an illegal, even you said they should all be deported.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:12 AM

12,870 posts, read 12,820,999 times
Quote:
There is a flip-side to this whole English debate, so the problem here is illegals are not speaking English, yet they are taking jobs of Americans right?

Well if English is the language of business, wouldn't the illegals knowing English be even worse for Americans? I mean imagine the jobs illegals could hold if they knew English.

My example is Indians and Chinese, I work for a major software company in Silicon Valley, we are overwhelmingly Chinese and Indian that are on H1-B's. Many Indians and Chinese (barely english speaking) come here and overstay their visas, find jobs at Web Startups making 85k a year.

So I guess you should be careful what you wish for when it comes to language, at least by the illegals NOT knowing English they have created a barrier to American business where English is required. At least we are talking jobs that make 15 an hour and not 50 an hour.

Your cozy office jobs are pretty safe from the Spanish Only people.
not when their children are being educated for free, including college, on the taxpayers dimes... if you are only concerned about your job, what about the jobs of your children?

Old 11-05-2007, 09:13 AM

3,589 posts, read 2,998,813 times
Quote:
You are missing the point though, if H1-B's violators can speak english they can take high paying American jobs.

If Illegals Spanish speaking people do not speak English they really cannot take high paying American jobs.
You don't have to violate the terms of an H1-B visa to take a high-paying American job.

Being in I.T., I know how hard it can be to find people with the required skills to fill certain positions. I work with H1-B visa holders and I don't have a philosophical problem with it...though I do not support increasing the number of H1-Bs given and I think we should place strict quotas on some Indian companies, since they are using the program for industrial espionage.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:16 AM

9,077 posts, read 15,528,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
not when their children are being educated for free, including college, on the taxpayers dimes... if you are only concerned about your job, what about the jobs of your children?
But that is not the crutch of the argument here, here people are arguing about assimilation and English not being spoken.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:59 AM

1,393 posts, read 2,496,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
CORRECT English is known as being a difficult language to learn--and it's true that Spanish does have much more uniform rules, and is more predictable.
But you don't have to be an "English Major" to be understood--even MARGINAL English will "get you by"...Think about it...we can usually undestand what George Bush is trying to say...even if we can't figure out WHY......and he CERTAINLY doesn't speak "The King's English"...
Hell, I'm Texan Born and I don't understand G W Bush.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:55 PM

402 posts, read 940,423 times
Quote:
Hell, I'm Texan Born and I don't understand G W Bush.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/Choctawmaid/slapfloor.gif (broken link) I don't know many who do, but then with my accent, I doubt anyone could understand me very well either.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:52 PM

447 posts, read 707,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I actually got bad repped by someone claiming that a 17 year old had an invalid opinion on everything. You old people you.. who do you think will be running the country when you die?

i may be old...but i'm not buried...remember, you may rule the world someday, but i still will always vote.
and like i said before, i never bad repped you, so either accept others opinions with a grain of salt,and get over it...or dont.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raelynn View Post
I think that my reply on my other thread can answer everything. if not i guess you will let me know if i left anything out please.

s'allright.........think you answered my question.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
If they overstay their visas, they're illegal and should also be deported.

People think they can just come in on an H1-B, quit the job with the company that sponsored you, then create a startup. Once you lose/quit the job you were granted the H1-B for, you have a very small window of time before you're out of status.

Those illegals need to go home too.
agreed...lets never forget 9-11 and the illegals who came here first legally , then overstayed their visas, and slaughtered thousands of people, not just americans, but legal immigrants too...i grieved for evry single victim that day no matter their color or creed...
alot of pro illegals want to call us racists, because they say we are picking on only the mexican illegals, but brother are they wrong...as for me: one illegal is one too many...no matter what country they come from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration